The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

retow

There is another design flaw with the X10 which would bother me. Max shutter speed is capped at 1/1000 with the lens fully open and increase gradually as one stops down the lens. The only exception seems to be in M mode. As the camera has no ND filter build in, unlike the Q, under very bright conditions (sunny day on the slopes) one could be forced to stop down to levels were lens diffraction starts to become an issue.

JSRockit

There is another design flaw with the X10 which would bother me. Max shutter speed is capped at 1/1000 with the lens fully open and increase gradually as one stops down the lens. The only exception seems to be in M mode. As the camera has no ND filter build in, unlike the Q, under very bright conditions (sunny day on the slopes) one could be forced to stop down to levels were lens diffraction starts to become an issue.
Well, you cannot have everything in a point and shoot. Many P&S cameras of days gone by didn't even have 1/500th... and some of them still don't.

Terry

I have an ND filter mounted on the filter adapter.

raist3d

Well, you cannot have everything in a point and shoot. Many P&S cameras of days gone by didn't even have 1/500th... and some of them still don't.
The shutter speed is true but the point is those don't need it. Their aperture is f3.5/f4.0 and slower. Basically the point is if you have lens speed as a feature it's good that the camera provides an n filter so you can use it in brighter light.

The Olympus xz-1 has one, the fuji own x100 has one, the Pentax q has one when use with the prime or telephoto (the toy lenses don't need it as they are slower apertures). The q can actually do 1/8000th shutter speeds with the prime lens or telephoto.

I want to make clear I am not dissing the x10, but putting this in context.

raist3d

I have an ND filter mounted on the filter adapter.
Certainly one can mount and Nd filter on the x10. But for reference and comparison this means portability goes down a notch, and you have to add te price of the adapter plus Nd filter.

Again viable options but more considerations. All of a sudden the q price seems not too much higher for those who are comparing how the q stands price wise.

Terry

Certainly one can mount and Nd filter on the x10. But for reference and comparison this means portability goes down a notch, and you have to add te price of the adapter plus Nd filter.

Again viable options but more considerations. All of a sudden the q price seems not too much higher for those who are comparing how the q stands price wise.
True, but in my case I already owned the filter and putting it in my pocket when I'm out in really bright conditions is of little consequence.

raist3d

@Terry

Well yeah. I mean if it works for you great. Just stating it more in general. The fuji adapter alone at amazon runs $68 USD. A good Nd filter easily goes to the $80+ range. Thats $150 us more.

Biggest irony: the Q in the uk at Jessops right now is a toal of $548 USD equivalent here after their cash back offer.

Also the x10 with the filter wouldn't fit in my pocket anymore. Though I would
Imagine it's not to hard to take of and put back.

retow

And that Q price is including VAT, I believe. So if they were to ship to the US, the price excl VAT would be even lower.

retow

@Terry

Well yeah. I mean if it works for you great. Just stating it more in general. The fuji adapter alone at amazon runs $68 USD. A good Nd filter easily goes to the $80+ range. Thats $150 us more.

Biggest irony: the Q in the uk at Jessops right now is a toal of $548 USD equivalent here after their cash back offer.

Also the x10 with the filter wouldn't fit in my pocket anymore. Though I would
Imagine it's not to hard to take of and put back.
Funny argument. Many things did not exist "of days gone by". With respect of max shutter speed/ND filter on board, the X10 is not at the standard of its older competitors, a pitty, since its slightly larger sensor and relatively fast zoom would invite for some dof control creativity, including in daylight. The Q has an electronic shutter with max speed of 1/8000 (and ND filter on board), the Nikon V1 a max speed of 1/16000 (no typo!). These two show what is technically possible in 2011/12. I'm not trying to bash the X10 as I think it is a very interesting camera producing impressive files for a point and shoot and I'm still on the fence whether or not to buy one. But Fuji made a few strange design decisions with this one.

woodyspedden

For those of you who may have missed it, Raw Developer (Iridient Digital) is now available for processing raw files from the X10.

I use Raw Developer and have used it for a number of years. I have no affiliation with them other than as a user.

Woody

P

Pierrico

Hello people
I read and appreciate your posts and the high level pictures i see on this pages.
Allow me to modestly join you with one that will look a
exotic!
This little compact camera delivers amazing jpeg. What will be raw files?
Cheers.

donbga

Hello people
I read and appreciate your posts and the high level pictures i see on this pages.
Allow me to modestly join you with one that will look a
exotic!
This little compact camera delivers amazing jpeg. What will be raw files?
Cheers.
Pierrico,

Wonderful shot! I'm very smitten with the color palette. What was the ISO?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Last edited:

donbga

And that Q price is including VAT, I believe. So if they were to ship to the US, the price excl VAT would be even lower.
What camera does the 'Q' refer to?

And does anyone know if an L bracket is available for the X10?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Terry

What camera does the 'Q' refer to?

And does anyone know if an L bracket is available for the X10?

Thanks,

Don Bryant
I had a prototype arca swiss L bracket for the NEX which happens to perfectly fit the X10. The issue will be that it uses the Arca Slide Fix size plate and therefore you need a clamp that takes that size. Read this as it works but isn't standard unless you standardize on Arca brackets that can take slide fix.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29059&highlight=Arca+nex

donbga

I had a prototype arca swiss L bracket for the NEX which happens to perfectly fit the X10. The issue will be that it uses the Arca Slide Fix size plate and therefore you need a clamp that takes that size. Read this as it works but isn't standard unless you standardize on Arca brackets that can take slide fix.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29059&highlight=Arca+nex
Looks like Kirk Enterprises has a similar solution.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Universal_Quick_Release_Short_L-Bracket.html

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Camera_Plate_for_Fuji_X10.html

RRS is not showing a camera plate yet for the X10 but I'm sure they will eventually.

Thanks.

Amin

I'm not defending the X10, as this highlight blob thing is real and is a problem. Furthermore, I have no plans to buy an X10.

However:
-I have seen a lot of great images taken with this camera.
-I have not seen a single picture affect by the blobs that wasn't bad already (without the blobs).

Just saying...