The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

tbhv55

Fun with the X10. Conversion from colour worked better for me than the B&W jpegs - a lot different from the X100 sensor.

The eggs are rotten anyway so I had a go with the Fuji X10 before taking it down (after doing it with medium format and 4x5).
Here's the setup with the HB.

Nice work! I've really enjoyed the x100 still-life work that you've posted here recently:thumbs:. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I tried to do some of this, and I tried (and failed) to emulate the lighting and atmosphere in your shots.

It's good to see that the x10 can also do a good job at this... in the hands of someone who knows how to do still-life properly!

Thanks also for showing the set-up - it looks simple, but it certainly does the job.

This is a shot I took of the old Swift Meat Packing Plant in Fort Worth when I had my Fuji X10. I have since returned that camera due to the orb issue but have kept all the shots I took with it.

I recently bought Lightroom 4 and have been re-visiting some of the photos I have taken with various cameras using LR4 for the post-work. This seemed like a good one to play with in Lightroom with the B&W development. The day I shot this it was quite overcast and this shot seemed to beg to be B&W.

pjmsj21

Like others I continue to enjoy my X10 and find that I like my interior natural light photos better than ones taken outdooors. The colors of the indoor shots seem richer. Do any of you talented X10 owners care to share any settings for the camera for general well lit outdoor landscape type of shots?

TIA

Pat Mc

tbhv55

1st shoot with the X10
Very nice, Don - it may have been only your first shoot with the x10, but it looks as though you're straight into it!
I find that I use it a lot for B&W. What camera settings and/or PP did you use (if you're not averse to revealing)? I like the tones that you've achieved here. Are these from Raw or OOC?
Apologies for all the questions - I'm just interested, because I like the results.:)
Tim.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Tim,
Jpeg is the only solution for this camera. It bugs me that the raw files don't do we'll in LR4.
The camera is set to Provia. Med size 4:3.
I make flat files meaning just the jpeg with no adjustments in camera.
In LR4 I use my presets to make the image I want. It's easy due to having neutral files.

This of course rules out seeing a B&W screen. I have to see a color one... The Horror!

The camera is very nice and I'm finding my way with it.
This is the first zoomie camera in over 45 years that I might actually keep.

tbhv55

Jpeg is the only solution for this camera.
Don,
Thanks - that's interesting... I've had the x10 for several months - during which time I've been the Raw output (based on previous experience with various cameras) - and I've just recently started shooting only Jpegs on the x10. The Jpegs are comparatively so good that it hardly seems worth the extra storage space to shoot Raw! They are also reasonably forgiving, should any PP work be needed. I just wish that I'd bothered to look more closely at the Jpeg performance of the x10, before now.

This of course rules out seeing a B&W screen. I have to see a color one... The Horror!
I sympathise entirely!;)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don,
Thanks - that's interesting... I've had the x10 for several months - during which time I've been the Raw output (based on previous experience with various cameras) - and I've just recently started shooting only Jpegs on the x10. The Jpegs are comparatively so good that it hardly seems worth the extra storage space to shoot Raw! They are also reasonably forgiving, should any PP work be needed. I just wish that I'd bothered to look more closely at the Jpeg performance of the x10, before now.

I sympathise entirely!;)
Tim,
How did you process the raw files? Sillypix of course is out. I tried desperately with Lightroom to no avail. There's too many artifacts and what not going on.
I still don't like being forced to do jpeg but there exist no other way.

The camera is a real working machine that changes configuration on the go otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time with it. I keep it on the shelf next to my White GRD4 in hopes they will have camera sex and make the perfect camera but then the Grd4 already is.

tbhv55

I keep it on the shelf next to my White GRD4 in hopes they will have camera sex and make the perfect camera
I'd better keep all my photo stuff separate then, or there could be a severe case of over-population in our house;).

Regarding Raw processing, I tried to give Silkypix a fair trial, but ultimately I gave up on various grounds... output can be fairly good (but variable), however it is painful to use. Other than that, I think that I've tried many converters (not LR, however), and I've not been "wowed" by any of them for x10 Raw files.

So... this is what led me to try re-visiting Jpegs, and I reckon that I might stay with this approach for the time being, and see how it works out.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm using M file size with 400 Dynamic range. It seems to be working fine. I tried the L file size and I guess I'm too old to see a difference. So I have surrendered to M jpeg.

If you want to have a good time and get a real headache...... test the DOF scale. I did this with the X100 and many thought I was crazy. That's ok because I live in a crazy world. The X10 has an enormous DOF even wide open. Do not trust the scale except the actual focus distance. That's fairly accurate, enough to work with.
Check out DOF master and you'll see with testing that they of course are right.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Maggie, the outdoor shot is great. I love the grain and yet the background still maintains details...
The cat photos are of course instant approval.

Maggie O

Thanks, Don! I'm especially proud of the outdoor shot, as I had to go into Ninja mode and shoot at 1/6 of a second. </brag>

I'm always amazed at the incredibly high quality of the files from the X10 and how workable they are. I think I've done some of my best work with it, even.