The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

A

Allan Ostling

I'm just beginning to shoot with my new X10. The JPEG image quality is superb, and once Lightroom updates to allow for RAW import I might happily travel with this as my main camera. (But I doubt if I would ever leave my X100 behind).

Incorporating the power switch in the zoom ring might seem like a good idea, but it has a downside: any time I want to review images I need to extend the lens and take off the lens cap. This is frustrating. But I guess I'll get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

anfrve

Re: X10 power switch frustration

I'm just beginning to shoot with my new X10. The JPEG image quality is superb, and once Lightroom updates to allow for RAW import I might happily travel with this as my main camera. (But I doubt if I would ever leave my X100 behind).

Incorporating the power switch in the zoom ring might seem like a good idea, but it has a downside: any time I want to review images I need to extend the lens and take off the lens cap. This is frustrating. But I guess I'll get used to it.
Hello Allan,
You don't need to switch on the lens ring, you can review the photos simply pressing the green arrow under the eyefinder...

A

Allan Ostling

Hello Allan,
You don't need to switch on the lens ring, you can review the photos simply pressing the green arrow under the eyefinder...
Well now, don't I just feel like a right Wally! Guess I missed this, since you cannot do this on the X100.

Thanks, this makes my day.

C

cosinaphile

thanks for the tip , i didnt know it either .........d`oh

A

Allan Ostling

thanks for the tip , i didnt know it either .........d`oh
I'm glad to have some company.

There is another feature which I assumed was missing, but in fact it is not. The X100 has a sliding command control, which can be pressed in to zoom in to maximum magnification during playback mode. I thought this feature was missing on the X10.

On the X10 the equivalent control is called the main-command dial (not to be confused with the sub-command dial). It rotates to the left or right instead of sliding. And since it rotates, I did not think that it would also function when pressed. But it does.

On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted! Now I won't have to mess with the slow playback zoom in button when I want to do this.

Terry

On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted! Now I won't have to mess with the slow playback zoom in button when I want to do this.
OK I completely missed that one! Thanks.

pophoto

Yes, I'm also having a blast with my X10, I just purchased the small flash with it, and you know what you can fire the flash at up to 1/4000s! It's a fun and good quality camera. I did have the X100 a while back and didn't care much for it, and then sold it in less than a week. This one is so far a keeper!

Oh about viewing the images.....SILLY BILLY :p
If I did want to nitpick it would be that I can only focus with the shutter release and cannot assign it to the AF-L button, so if you smart people know a way around this, I am all EARS! Cheers!

Terry

Oh about viewing the images.....SILLY BILLY :p
If I did want to nitpick it would be that I can only focus with the shutter release and cannot assign it to the AF-L button, so if you smart people know a way around this, I am all EARS! Cheers!
Sure you can. :D Put the camera into Manual Focus and the AF-L button will focus for you effectively separating the AE and AF from the half press.

pophoto

Hey thanks Terry! I'm a happy puppy again, now why can't they do that in AFS/C mode?

Okay, I'm being really lazy now, i remember on the x100 I can actually size the focus region, I wasn't sure if that was in manual focus mode, so was wondering if I can do that on the X10 in Manual focus? Any ideas? Cheers!

HeavyDuty

I haven't found a way to resize the focus area in MF mode, only AFS. I was hoping to be able to enlarge it in MF, but luckily it appears to be larger by default.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted!
Now, that's just brilliant. I wonder if the OP might not consider renaming this thread to X-10 tips?

I am enjoying mine. If only the viewfinder worked like the X-100... I really like the ergonomics of the X-10, too, and like others here have sold the X-100.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Super Moderator to the rescue! Thank you.

I have a quick question while away from the manual: is it possible to do sweep panoramas with the camera held in portrait orientation? If so, how?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have found one way: change the direction of the sweep to 'top-bottom" and then turn the camera, and sweep L-R. Seems to work!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Dale; that's not documented, but it works perfectly.

I will have to put aside the time to look at those videos, but usually I can read faster then people can talk!

Cheers, KL

Dale Allyn

Thanks Dale; that's not documented, but it works perfectly.

I will have to put aside the time to look at those videos, but usually I can read faster then people can talk!

Cheers, KL
Kit, I know what you mean about reading vs. watching videos. The production quality of the video isn't great, but the "hands on" demo presented some helpful stuff and quick visualization. I don't recall which one had the segment I mentioned, but if I can find it I'll add the link here.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVy506wbwc

Last edited: