Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

  1. #1
    Allan Ostling
    Guest

    X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    I'm just beginning to shoot with my new X10. The JPEG image quality is superb, and once Lightroom updates to allow for RAW import I might happily travel with this as my main camera. (But I doubt if I would ever leave my X100 behind).

    Incorporating the power switch in the zoom ring might seem like a good idea, but it has a downside: any time I want to review images I need to extend the lens and take off the lens cap. This is frustrating. But I guess I'll get used to it.
    Last edited by Terry; 6th December 2011 at 09:28.

  2. #2
    New Member anfrve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Venice, Italy
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ostling View Post
    I'm just beginning to shoot with my new X10. The JPEG image quality is superb, and once Lightroom updates to allow for RAW import I might happily travel with this as my main camera. (But I doubt if I would ever leave my X100 behind).

    Incorporating the power switch in the zoom ring might seem like a good idea, but it has a downside: any time I want to review images I need to extend the lens and take off the lens cap. This is frustrating. But I guess I'll get used to it.
    Hello Allan,
    You don't need to switch on the lens ring, you can review the photos simply pressing the green arrow under the eyefinder...

  3. #3
    Allan Ostling
    Guest

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by anfrve View Post
    Hello Allan,
    You don't need to switch on the lens ring, you can review the photos simply pressing the green arrow under the eyefinder...
    Well now, don't I just feel like a right Wally! Guess I missed this, since you cannot do this on the X100.

    Thanks, this makes my day.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    ...
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 08:26.
    Brad Husick

  5. #5
    cosinaphile
    Guest

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    thanks for the tip , i didnt know it either .........d`oh

  6. #6
    Allan Ostling
    Guest

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by cosinaphile View Post
    thanks for the tip , i didnt know it either .........d`oh
    I'm glad to have some company.

    There is another feature which I assumed was missing, but in fact it is not. The X100 has a sliding command control, which can be pressed in to zoom in to maximum magnification during playback mode. I thought this feature was missing on the X10.

    On the X10 the equivalent control is called the main-command dial (not to be confused with the sub-command dial). It rotates to the left or right instead of sliding. And since it rotates, I did not think that it would also function when pressed. But it does.

    On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted! Now I won't have to mess with the slow playback zoom in button when I want to do this.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ostling View Post

    On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted! Now I won't have to mess with the slow playback zoom in button when I want to do this.
    OK I completely missed that one! Thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Yes, I'm also having a blast with my X10, I just purchased the small flash with it, and you know what you can fire the flash at up to 1/4000s! It's a fun and good quality camera. I did have the X100 a while back and didn't care much for it, and then sold it in less than a week. This one is so far a keeper!

    Oh about viewing the images.....SILLY BILLY :P
    If I did want to nitpick it would be that I can only focus with the shutter release and cannot assign it to the AF-L button, so if you smart people know a way around this, I am all EARS! Cheers!

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Oh about viewing the images.....SILLY BILLY :P
    If I did want to nitpick it would be that I can only focus with the shutter release and cannot assign it to the AF-L button, so if you smart people know a way around this, I am all EARS! Cheers!
    Sure you can. Put the camera into Manual Focus and the AF-L button will focus for you effectively separating the AE and AF from the half press.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Hey thanks Terry! I'm a happy puppy again, now why can't they do that in AFS/C mode?

    Okay, I'm being really lazy now, i remember on the x100 I can actually size the focus region, I wasn't sure if that was in manual focus mode, so was wondering if I can do that on the X10 in Manual focus? Any ideas? Cheers!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    I haven't found a way to resize the focus area in MF mode, only AFS. I was hoping to be able to enlarge it in MF, but luckily it appears to be larger by default.
    ---
    Ken

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I haven't found a way to resize the focus area in MF mode, only AFS. I was hoping to be able to enlarge it in MF, but luckily it appears to be larger by default.
    Thanks Ken!

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    On p. 60 of the manual there is a description of how pressing this during playback achieves "Zooming in on the Focus Point." Just what I wanted!
    Now, that's just brilliant. I wonder if the OP might not consider renaming this thread to X-10 tips?

    I am enjoying mine. If only the viewfinder worked like the X-100... I really like the ergonomics of the X-10, too, and like others here have sold the X-100.

  14. #14
    Allan Ostling
    Guest

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I wonder if the OP might not consider renaming this thread to X-10 tips?
    The editing rules do not allow this.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: X10 power switch frustration

    I just renamed it.

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    Super Moderator to the rescue! Thank you.

    I have a quick question while away from the manual: is it possible to do sweep panoramas with the camera held in portrait orientation? If so, how?

  17. #17
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    I have found one way: change the direction of the sweep to 'top-bottom" and then turn the camera, and sweep L-R. Seems to work!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I have found one way: change the direction of the sweep to 'top-bottom" and then turn the camera, and sweep L-R. Seems to work!
    Kit, that's how it is demonstrated on the Fuji Guys video on YouTube.

  19. #19
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    Thanks Dale; that's not documented, but it works perfectly.

    I will have to put aside the time to look at those videos, but usually I can read faster then people can talk!

    Cheers, KL

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Thanks Dale; that's not documented, but it works perfectly.

    I will have to put aside the time to look at those videos, but usually I can read faster then people can talk!

    Cheers, KL
    Kit, I know what you mean about reading vs. watching videos. The production quality of the video isn't great, but the "hands on" demo presented some helpful stuff and quick visualization. I don't recall which one had the segment I mentioned, but if I can find it I'll add the link here.

    Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVy506wbwc
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 12th December 2011 at 04:06. Reason: added link

  21. #21
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X10 Tips (formerly power switch frustration)

    Thanks Dale, and I will do the same if I find anything interesting there too.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •