The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X10 macro with Elpro close-up lenses

A

Allan Ostling

In macro mode, with the lens zoomed out to give a good working distance from the subject, the X10 achieves a magnification of approximately 1:16. Multiplied by the 4X crop factor of the 2/3" sensor, this is equivalent to a full-frame magnification of 1:4. The photo below, some Japanese stamps in a clear plastic sleeve with black backing, was taken at the closest distance the X10 can focus in macro mode at 112mm focal length.

To get more magnification, attach a close-up lens, the achromatic type with two glass elements. These are significantly more expensive than one-element close-up lenses, but they do not degrade the image quality, or induce distortion. http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html lists currently-available achromats.

Of these, I have used Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Leica – they are all excellent. In particular I recommend the Leica Elpro, and for the X10 you should use the Elpro VIa or VIb, since these have smaller mounts than the Elpro 1 or Elpro 2 which are optically identical. The VIa and VIb have Series 6 threads, an obsolete filter size. Over the last few years I have acquired a dozen of these Elpros on eBay. The "buy it now" sellers want more, but with patience you can usually get them for about $20 on an auction.

Here is an Elpro VIa mounted to the X10 via a 40.5mm-Series 6 step-up ring. This particular ring screws in for a full turn before becoming too tight.

Here is the subject, photographed with the Elpro VIa:

To get even closer, use the Elpro VIb, which gives a equivalent magnification
of (1:1.5). With this, you can do insects.

Last edited:

Terry

Cool. I actually have a Nikon 3T and 4T and Canon 250D in the 52mm filter size that work with the X10 hood/adapter.