The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X10 - Nice but not for me

Godfrey

On the joyful ravings of a good friend, I bought a Fuji X10 and spent the weekend shooting with it and evaluating it.

- I never saw any of the saturation blobs in my photographs that people seem to be so upset about. Just didn't find anything that created them, I guess.

- Overall, the picture quality was excellent but somehow lacking to my eye. Maybe I've gotten spoiled, but even my partner who isn't a photographer at all said, "They look nice. But they're flat, they don't seem to have the look that your other pictures do."

- I find several niggles with the control layout: confusing menus and options, buttons that don't fit my hands or where I expect to reach to use them, an overall feel of too many bits and buttons in too little space for my comfort.

- The manual zoom control and matched, zooming optical viewfinder are certainly very nice. And the viewfinder is pretty good quality. The focusing speed and shot to shot response is very good. Lots of fun imaging effects in it too.

- The 2/3" sensor is very good for providing lots of DoF, but that's also the negative side of the X10 for me: such a small sensor means too little focus zone control for my preferences.

In the end, I couldn't think of a reason why I'd prefer to carry the Fuji X10 instead of my Ricoh GXR other than the availability of a short zoom lens with matched optical finder. That was just not enough. It's a good camera, just not for me.

Back to the dealer it goes.

jpmac55

Godfrey,

Do you think your camera shop will sell the one you're returning at a discount? Could be a good deal for someone pining for a x10 but was concerned with the highlight issue. I am sure your dealer won't mind selling it again either.

Godfrey

Do you think your camera shop will sell the one you're returning at a discount? Could be a good deal for someone pining for a x10 but was concerned with the highlight issue. I am sure your dealer won't mind selling it again either.
They're not local to the area, I don't know what they do with returned merchandise. They require camera returns to be just about perfect to avoid a restocking fee so I suspect most of the time they manage a bit of income from the sale even if the item is returned.

It's a nice camera, and I don't think that most folks could even tell this one's been out of the box as I took excruciating care to keep it perfect. But it has to resell as used.

quadtones

I also tried it, in part based on reviews, and also based on my previous experience with Fuji sensors [S3]. I ended up returning it. Terrific little camera, but neither small enough to conveniently carry it constantly, large enough sensor to get the quality I needed, nor [quite] good enough low light performance. Good lens, flexible, but "flat" looking photos. I continue to use the M9, back up with the M8, and look [hope] for a digital CL....

raist3d

- I find several niggles with the control layout: confusing menus and options, buttons that don't fit my hands or where I expect to reach to use them, an overall feel of too many bits and buttons in too little space for my comfort.
That was basically my #1 deal breaker for me. I never had the issue of colors being flat though, I think Fuji does very well here particularly set to say the Velvia JPEG mode. Maybe the camera was set to super high DR? That would flatten things.

But yeah, the ergonomics/UI was the issue for me. The camera just didn't feel right (to me).

- Raist

My experience has been just the opposite. I bought the X10 to replace my D-Lux 4, my current small sensor camera. For me, it works and the many advanced features are quite good. Lo light pro focus, burst mode, manual zoom and the EXR features are quite good.

It takes some getting used to for sure but having used it for about two months now I am happy with it. Yes, the way it handles specular highlights needs some work but for 99% of what and how I shoot, it's just not an issue.

You can see some of the work I have done with it here: http://www.boxedlight.com/x10/index.htm

Obviously the X10 is not for everyone, especially those who might expect DSLR quality and features but for a small sensor camera, I find it to be very good and easy to use.

Tim

Godfrey, my apologies for hijacking your thread but Jim's link led me to a question for him.

You can see some of the work I have done with it here: http://www.boxedlight.com/x10/index.htm
Jim on your X10 page (which I enjoyed reading BTW) you mention that you managed to pick up the EF-20 for $120. I was looking for one for my X100 and have not seen one that cheap. Can you help with where you got yours? Thanks.

Godfrey

Nothing to hijack, really.

It's a nice camera, just doesn't perform as well as I'd hoped and isn't as compelling to work with for me as some seem to find it. Perhaps my expectations were different, but as soon as I put the X10 down and picked up the GXR again, I knew I'd never find an excuse to bother with the X10: it would just sit on the shelf and gather dust, an expensive way to manage my $600.

My future camera interests are clear: I'll buy a digital M sometime soon so I can use the same lens kit with both RF and TTL bodies, and two different formats. There's great value in that, as the lens kit is really the expensive part of the game. The GXR-M + Skopar 28 or Skopar 35 is compact enough for a "pocketable" too.

It's all good.

Jim on your X10 page (which I enjoyed reading BTW) you mention that you managed to pick up the EF-20 for $120. I was looking for one for my X100 and have not seen one that cheap. Can you help with where you got yours? Thanks.
Tim, sorry, I was mistaken. $149 from B&H. I'll need to correct the info on the website.

quadtones

Jim--Great work on your site. For me, the X10 just wouldn't work in the light I often have to work with--but it's close. Mind you, I work almost exclusively in black and white, and I'm comparing it to much larger files, shot with Leica lenses, and a few C-V offerings [e.g., 35 1.2 Nokton]. The "feel" of the camera was great, though.
Godfrey--You've articulated something I hadn't been able to pin down--not compelling. I don't know whether it's the lens' rendering, the sensor, or both. I just found I grabbed an M-camera on the way out the door, and the X10 was too large to have with me constantly, while not having robust enough files.

Tim

I'll buy a digital M sometime soon so I can use the same lens kit with both RF and TTL bodies, and two different formats. There's great value in that, as the lens kit is really the expensive part of the game. The GXR-M + Skopar 28 or Skopar 35 is compact enough for a "pocketable" too.

It's all good.
It is all good fun. Lots of option for us all really. Maybe this new Fuji that's being suggested around the internets may be a possibility..

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/03/fujis-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-will-be-black/

Godfrey

It is all good fun. Lots of option for us all really. Maybe this new Fuji that's being suggested around the internets may be a possibility..

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/03/fujis-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-will-be-black/
It looks to be a nice piece, Fuji generally makes nice equipment, but I'm staying away from it entirely. I going to stick with what I have and buy the M9 to add to it, sell off the SLR kit.

My goals will be met with the GXR-M and M9, I don't need anything more. :)