The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

I don't mind a 90mm in the 2.5 or 2.8 range on my M9 ... but a M90 f/2 is much better for portraits, and I'd much prefer an 85/1.4.

-Marc
Well,

there do you get the 85/1.4 on the M9 ?????

Peter

V

Vivek

Why would a "pro" cam need so many film simulation settings? :confused:

cam

Why would a "pro" cam need so many film simulation settings? :confused:
there are quite a few pros that use JPEG (deadlines) and the Fujis, indeed, have some of the finest JPEG engines i've seen.

(don't want to get this into a discussion of RAW vs. JPEG, just stating their likely justification... i know on the X100 i'm not really getting any more out of the RAW files as long as i expose correctly.)

V

Vivek

A lot of Olympus cams also have these "creative filters".

Since Robert mentioned i-Magic, ;), i-phone and the whole line of "i" products have numerous apps for such simulations.

Shashin

Nice list, but not short teles for portraits that Ben's speaking about ... which are at least 85/1.8 all the way to f/1.2.

Canon 85/1.2L or 1.8, Nikon 85/1.4, Sony ZA85/1.4, to mention the big three ... plus all the 3rd party lens makers with their 85/1.4s. On crop frame cameras they get to be around 125mm, but still remain fast apertures to help isolate the subject or allow a faster shutter speed.

I don't mind a 90mm in the 2.5 or 2.8 range on my M9 ... but a M90 f/2 is much better for portraits, and I'd much prefer an 85/1.4.

-Marc
The 85mm is a portrait focal length for a 35mm frame. There really isn't a comparable lens for APS. So no APC camera will satisfy him--it is not a Fuji problem per se.

Sapphie

Hugo Poon rocks! :thumbs:

(Fuji owe him a huge favor)

>>why can't they all be this good?

You really want to know? ;)
Yes, why?! To be honest I often find sample images somewhat wanting unless they happen to coincide with my type of photography but the Poon ones Brian has pointed out are very detailed and noise free.

Lee

Godfrey

Why would a "pro" cam need so many film simulation settings?
I don't know about the X-Pro1, but the X10 was quite interesting ... Processing its raw files in Lightroom/Camera Raw at higher ISO settings, it proved difficult to get results that matched what the camera's internal JPEG engine did. Other raw processing software might do a better job, but the Fuji sensor is evidently pretty picky to work with and Fuji has optimized some good rendering stuff in their cameras.

Dunno whether they do a better job than Olympus in this regard. The E-1 and E-5 can make truly amazing JPEGs in the camera, but I prefer raw shooting and processing workflow rather than thinking about image processing needs in the field.

Terry

Dunno whether they do a better job than Olympus in this regard. The E-1 and E-5 can make truly amazing JPEGs in the camera, but I prefer raw shooting and processing workflow rather than thinking about image processing needs in the field.
This is not my style but with the Fuji cameras you could shoot RAW and develop the jpegs later still in camera and in multiple different ways. This allows you to have your cake and eat it too.

Pentax is similar in that regard.

V

Vivek

Yes, why?! To be honest I often find sample images somewhat wanting unless they happen to coincide with my type of photography but the Poon ones Brian has pointed out are very detailed and noise free.

Lee
Among the new fuji pics you linked, the star filled sky shot is terrible. I am not an astro photographer (and have very little interest in shooting the stars) but I know enough to make that comment. It is quite obvious from that shot that the person who snapped it and the people who uploaded it lack some clue about such photography (hint: Pentax have a nice gizmo and an associated software to do a good job). When that is the case, with all the hype about the new sensor, why show it?

Brian Mosley

With the X100, I routinely shoot RAW+jpeg and mostly use the jpeg. The in-cam jpeg engine is superb.

Brian

cam

With the X100, I routinely shoot RAW+jpeg and mostly use the jpeg. The in-cam jpeg engine is superb.
yes, it is... better than i seem to be able to do most of the time... i don't like that, though, because i use usually shoot RAW and black and white JPEG so i can see b/w in the VF or on the screen... as i am using the cam for more personal and casual stuff, i'm thinking of just shooting JPEG most of the time which means i need to set the JPEG engine back to colour :(

Brian Mosley

Well, in an ideal world you'd have a programmable function button for jpeg colour toggle - I wish they'd release a SDK and allow some programmers with time on their hands add some value.

I suppose we'll all be using smartphones for photography by then!

Brian

raist3d

A lot of Olympus cams also have these "creative filters".

Since Robert mentioned i-Magic, ;), i-phone and the whole line of "i" products have numerous apps for such simulations.
No, they are not the same. The fuji jpegs are fuji film simulations and there and some photography domains/needs where jpeg, not raw, is the format used for shooting. Fujis Jpeg engine is fantastic so having these fujifilm simulations can work well in those situations.

The regular Olumpus color and b&w shootin modes (vivid, natural, etc) correspond more to these Joey settings.

Last edited:

raist3d

This is the first half decent sample I've seen... why can't they all be this good?

This one also, not bad.

Brian
I think in terms of looking for the "AA less detail" considering the ISO, I agree, they aren't bad. I think Hugo shoots JPEG so would be interesting if there's more detail to be found with a good raw converter. Fuji did say it was cooperating with Adobe to have ACR/Photoshop/LR be able to convert their raws.

As a photograph they don't do much for me, but these are probably exactly that- tests.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I don't know about the X-Pro1, but the X10 was quite interesting ... Processing its raw files in Lightroom/Camera Raw at higher ISO settings, it proved difficult to get results that matched what the camera's internal JPEG engine did. Other raw processing software might do a better job, but the Fuji sensor is evidently pretty picky to work with and Fuji has optimized some good rendering stuff in their cameras.

I would say both Fuji and Olympus have the best JPEG engines. Before E-5 I would have ranked Fuji's engine a notch higher, after the E-5 maybe about same or maybe Fuji still a hair higher but they are really close. Olympus goes after Kodak film looking JPEGs (understandable given their initial 4/3rds Kodak partnership) and Fuji goes for their Fujifilm color (also understandable, since well they make Fujifilm :) ).

I have checked these jpeg engines to quite an extent in general. Fuji usually has better gradients but also in the S3/S5 pro they are working with 14bit data (first ones to do it *years* before anyone else in the DSLR class).

- Ricardo

dhsimmonds

Brian
Hi Brian. Yes I do exactly the same with both my X100 and Sony A77. Modern sensors/processing engines produce such beautiful Jpegs, I have even wondered sometimes why I bother to fill memory cards with the RAW options as additions.

That is until a recent trip to India, when on one evening I was advised at short notice that an invitation to a local Maharajah's palace for dinner was planned for that evening, and to be sure to ensure that camera batteries were charged etc. I guessed that time might be of the essence so I preset the cameras to tungsten light balance which seemed a good guess as it was after dark. As I left the vehicle there was an immediate explosion of sound and a spectacular costume show involving a large number of elephants, camels and beautiful white horses mounted by uniformed soldiers. all of this was in the dark requiring flash but virtually no time to change my settings! :rolleyes:

Back home the RAW images processed in C1Pro saved the day.

I shall continue setting Raw+Jpeg! :D

Brian Mosley

Goes without saying that we're considering straight image quality here. The ISO2000 shot looks nice and clean with excellent detail.

Size wise, being similar in size to the E-620 but much thinner - this looks like it will be a nice size to hold (obviously, those using a leica will know this already!)

Brian