The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

V

Vivek

Re: new camera

Let me put it this way. I am glad that the NEX-7 has a few more buttons and the possibility to customize a few.

The one touch magnification/focus assist is there and I am glad it is. Focus peaking- nice catch phrase. No more. Certainly no resemblance to the OVF plus RF patch that some are comparing (no distracting flashing highlights everywhere in an OVF like a focus peaked EVF).

YMMV.

I am not going to get into this discussion with you anymore as this appears to be getting personal.

EDIT: Sincere apologies for the wording in my earlier post. I could not express it strongly without the phrase I used. It was not personal other than something against a belief or conviction.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Let me put it this way. I am glad that the NEX-7 has a few more buttons and the possibility to customize a few.

The one touch magnification/focus assist is there and I am glad it is. Focus peaking- nice catch phrase. No more. Certainly no resemblance to the OVF plus RF patch that some are comparing (no distracting flashing highlights everywhere in an OVF like a focus peaked EVF).

YMMV.

I am not going to get into this discussion with you anymore as this appears to be getting personal.

EDIT: Sincere apologies for the wording in my earlier post. I could not express it strongly without the phrase I used. It was not personal other than something against a belief or conviction.
Well, I need to apologise, because I now realise that I was implying that you thought I was lying - which was far from my intention. Just as a matter of interest I find the one touch magnification completely useless . . because it's so distracting!

Each to his own - and we've known each other far too long to take offence (I hope) - but with reference to the focus peaking, I'm not alone in finding it useful - even in low light - (Michael Reichman for instance seems to be very impressed).

As far as a rangefinder with a patch . . . it's my favourite - I love it - there's nothing that will replace it . . . and it's one of the principle reasons why I don't find this camera interesting, because, I'm assuming the OVF works like an X100, which I tried to like and didn't . . . just like the Contax G2.

all the best

V

Vivek

No worries, Jono.:)

As for X,Y or Z reviewer promoting a camera every week or season, I could not care less!

fotografz

Ditto here ...

Jono, I DID try focus peaking the minute it was introduced on the NEX5 and kept at it a lot, and in a lot of different lighting conditions. It's okay for some situations but not all (like a rangefiner is, to answer Irakly). At times, focus peaking in the viewfinder looked like the skies over Bagdad, and if you have slightly moving subjects or other subjects moving around the one you are trying to focus on it can get pretty ... uh ... busy. Just a bit of body sway by the shooter or the subject and stuff is in and out all over the place. I agree, it's not so hot on bright conditions either where the whole viewfinder is lighting up.

BUT ... big BUT ... I did not experience focus peaking in an EFV ... which may make a difference as opposed to holding the camera so you can see the rear LCD like the NEX5. So, my comments are tempered by that until I get a chance to use FP with a EVP.

I don't think shooting video is quite the same BTW. You can get away with a lot at 30 fps.

To each their own ... I had a lot more success shooting the 0.95 by framing, zoom focusing and immediately shooting which the camera lets you do. But that takes practice also :) That would also be a lot easier if it was happening in the viewfinder.

-Marc

jonoslack

Ditto here ...

Jono, I DID try focus peaking the minute it was introduced on the NEX5 and kept at it a lot, and in a lot of different lighting conditions. It's okay for some situations but not all (like a rangefiner is, to answer Irakly). At times, focus peaking in the viewfinder looked like the skies over Bagdad, and if you have slightly moving subjects or other subjects moving around the one you are trying to focus on it can get pretty ... uh ... busy. Just a bit of body sway by the shooter or the subject and stuff is in and out all over the place. I agree, it's not so hot on bright conditions either where the whole viewfinder is lighting up.
Quite agree - set it to low in bright conditions - and it's often still too much. Try taking a tree in bright daylight! . . but focusing on the screen isn't much trouble then anyway
BUT ... big BUT ... I did not experience focus peaking in an EFV ... which may make a difference as opposed to holding the camera so you can see the rear LCD like the NEX5. So, my comments are tempered by that until I get a chance to use FP with a EVP.
Well, the LCD in low light doesn't work at all - because the sparkles are so sparse - definitely it's an EVF trick
I don't think shooting video is quite the same BTW. You can get away with a lot at 30 fps.

To each their own ... I had a lot more success shooting the 0.95 by framing, zoom focusing and immediately shooting which the camera lets you do. But that takes practice also :) That would also be a lot easier if it was happening in the viewfinder.

-Marc
Can't do that . . . boggles my brain!

Well, I think you should try it in a viewfinder before writing it off - I've loved using it with the Noctilux, and got a good hit rate too.

I'm not suggesting that it's everyone's cup of tea . . . but I'm equally sure that it isn't nobody's! Try it in an EVF before you write it off.

all the best

fotografz

cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps :ROTFL:

Go ahead and sap I say -- as long as it isn't my money, at least not yet - since if this feeding frenzy continues sooner or later some player will have to come up with a new full frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera (apart from the venerable but too expensive Leica M9) just to get ahead of the pack.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Meanwhile :watch:
Yep, it would be nice ... and hopefully worth the wait. Meanwhile, I get along quite well with what I already have ... and am "entertaining myself" by improving my lighting skills and gear ... which is yet another black hole to pound cash into ... but at least I can actually see the improvements :D

-Marc

CharlesK

IMO, being wary of all the hype is a good thing Charles.

However, I do agree that on paper this looks to be a serious tool with just the right spread of AF focal lengths for a camera of this type, at a reasonable "working-man's price." Simple, clean and well positioned. BTW, that french article seems to indicate that the 60/2.5 (90mm), was a macro.

Then it'll all come down to how well the ergo's work in real-world situations, how well the AF works in conditions where a camera of this type tends to be used, the optics and of course what the files look like ... especially wide open in mid to higher ISOs. I'll leave the beta testing of all that to others.

I remain subjectively unimpressed with any of the APSc compact camera's files despite being in the hands of some darned good photographers. To my eye the cameras appear to lag the talents of the users.

I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.

Personally, I'm not buying anything, especially any systems camera like this until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina in September. For the time being, I've side stepped the techno-juggernaut in favor of other ways of improving my work which are less ... uh ... financially eroding. This relentless stream of incremental stuff is like being nibbled to death by ducks :ROTFL:

-Marc
I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear:) Though I do think this year, we will see some interesting innovations, that will challenge the way we do photograph. At the moment, I have the option to see whether the X-Pro1 stacks up before I purchase.

I do have the NEX 5N, and I understand it is a great camera with excellent IQ, but the ergonomics have not gelled for me. If I have the choice of picking up a M9 or NEX 5N, the M9 wins every time. This of course is not to take away from every one else, that have demonstrated great shots and are enjoying the NEX series.

deckitout

Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back.

As a G1 owner May I trouble you to ask what your G1 trick was?

Thanks Phil

V

Vivek

Phil:

Simple. Increase the contrast to the highest (you could also increase the sharpness to the max for a good measure). Put the film mode in dynamic B&W (color is also OK once you get used to this).

Focused area will be brittle shiny with a rainbow color. This is a subtle effect. Best tried and perfected indoors. I actually use this on the swivel LCD to my advantage. It may not work with every adapted lens! Since my standard was a Computar 25/1.3 and that is a very contrasty lens, it was just fine.

PeterA

I use an M9 or an Xpan or a Mamiya 7-11 - for the "compositonal elbow" room the rangefinder view provides - no SLR or EVF camera provides for wider than frame viewing therefore the rangefinders will always have their compositonal advantages in people photography.

After a few weeks with a Nex5N and its OVF I am well aware of its limitations as well as its strengths.

I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.:bugeyes:

I have never been able to focus on a persons eye using ANY rangefinder and wide open fast glass ...unless I was positioned dead on and they were dead still and my technique was absolutely perfect - the Nex5N makes it an much easier task with much higher strike rates.

For edge focusing ( typical rangefinder strategy ) - I think the Leica is as good as the Nex5N with OVF.

If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.:)

Pete

Shashin

I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear:)
That's crazy talk. Naturally, the reason I don't have great images is that I don't have the perfect camera...yet.

With an attitude like that, why come to GetDPI?

:D

fotografz

That's crazy talk. Naturally, the reason I don't have great images is that I don't have the perfect camera...yet.

With an attitude like that, why come to GetDPI?

Because there are some really good shooters posting on the lighting forum here ... or at least starting to post there. ;)

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member

"I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear "

like the Lula linked "Master Level" photo workshop in Namibia; looks great, but $16,000? plus airfare

Shashin

Because there are some really good shooters posting on the lighting forum here ... or at least starting to post there. ;)

-Marc
But what brand of lighting equipment are they using...

BYW, thanks for the head up--I love symmetry.

V

Vivek

To bring it back to topic..

..more leaks...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new...-year-announcement-on-monday-9pm-london-time/

I hope it lives up to the hype:
And the new M-mount adapter will allow current Leica lens owners to buy a cheap M9 alike camera that will probaby beat the M9 image quality (if the Fuji marketing guys are telling us the truth about the new sensor being better than any current FF sensor).
AFAIC, I would look forward to making an X-Pro to pen F adapter. :)

jonoslack

I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.:bugeyes:

snip a bit

If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.:)

Pete
Hi Pete - You've put it so well.
As you say, there are many reasons!

I really hope this new Fuji is a roaring success - but it'll have to be pretty good for me to go there!

k-hawinkler

This could be the first real chalenge to the NEX sensor, though if I had to guess I´d say this camera will be around us$1800 body only. Anyway, I´d happy enough if the 3 primes that Fuji is also releasing can be adapted to the NEX system with no vignetting or weird distortions :)
How would that be possible?

Flange focal distance:
Fuji X-Mount 17.7 mm
Sony E-mount 18 mm

Unless the Fuji X-Pro 1 has a longer Flange focal distance than the NEX camera, of course.

K-H.