The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

monza

Re: new camera

There is no reason that zooms can't work on this camera...certainly in EVF mode; remains to be seen about the focal range of the OVF...

It sure is nice seeing the first lenses out of the box be primes! Has that ever happened in the digital era?

Tim

-Similar cost
-Similar size (I'm guessing)
-Hybrid viewfinder
-More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
-More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
Good question Armin, but I think one major missing difference in your lineup is the sensors. I'd have to wait to see the IQ from the Fuji. So far I impressed with the res of the NEX7 but still find the files muddy and ill defined in detail - IMHO. Maybe thats fixable with a good lens though.

The Fuji may win me over with its files. To a large degree I will adapt to meet a cameras shortcoming IF it produces a great file. I used a DP2 for quite a while. I'm late to the party but currently adapting to my X100 and loving it so far.

I think I'll wait and see what the Fuji can do and work from there. I am sure though they will have checked this new machine for White Disc problem.

Tim

People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard :rolleyes: ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.
I've seen plenty on another Leica forum who bought a M8/9 and only had one lens, many with a 35mm or 50mm. I think these could be people who just want IQ no matter what, and will adapt and work with what they have. I had an MP with only 50mm for at least 12 months.

Tim

:OT:I don't suppose anyone cares about the Black (Couleur Noire) X100 in the bottom right of the above picture?! :rolleyes:

Amin

While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.
I completely agree with you, and I think a lot of people who either want zooms or a "fully developed system" will be less enthusiastic about the Fuji. My point was not that the Fuji would take away all the enthusiasm for the NEX-7, only that it would successfully compete for a subset of those interested in the Sony.

It seems to me that the NEX-7, Fuji X-PRO 1, GXR, and upcoming Leica system are all going to compete for the enthusiasts who want a midsized body with great controls and top-notch image quality. The Micro 4/3 and Nikon systems will each have a slightly different niche than the rest, based on lens size.

jonoslack

Hi Amin

Right - let's go
-Similar cost
-Similar size (I'm guessing).
You're guessing - The X100 is considerably larger than the NEX7, and this beauty seems much more like the size of the M9 - and as far as I can see it's going to be getting on for twice the price of the NEX7.
Size comparison
-Hybrid viewfinder
Yes, Well, I was goggle eyed at the prospect of a hybrid viewfinder . . .
But after a month with an X100, I found that In EVF mode I had to trust to the camera . . and in OVF mode . . . I had to trust to the camera. That was with AF . . with MF it was even worse.
the NEX7 is absolutely precise with the focus peaking . . and if I want an OVF then the rangefinder of the M9 is the answer.
I always thought Contax really missed the point with the G - if you want a 'real view' viewfinder, then an slr is the answer - the joy and point of a rangefinder is being able to see around the motif . . Fuji seem to have grabbed the same misconception with the X100 and again with this camera.
-More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
Three Primes? I can fit almost anything on the NEX, from a 180 APO R lens to a 70-300 G lens to a Zeiss 18mm . . . even assuming that the adapters are there for the fuji, how on earth will the OVF handle that ?. . .and will the EVF have focus peaking?

-More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)
. . erm . . like all the lenses I've been using with the Sony over the last few weeks? Seriously, the X100 is a beautiful and functional camera, and the external controls are great . . .but the menus? all those options you really don't want? Will this camera be different ?. . . mind you; the Sony menus aren't much to write home about either . . give me an X1 menu system anyday:ROTFL:
If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?
The NEX - in a heartbeat - because of it's flexibility - I can put virtually any lens you can think of on the NEX7.

I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
Well, I love a good OVF too, which is why I'd never give up on the M9, the rangefinder experience is another thing - but although I found the OVF on the X100 very clever, I didn't find it terribly functional. The EVF was fine, but nothing like as good as the Sony ones, and missing the focus peaking.
However, even assuming that there are adapters, and you can fit other lenses on the Fuji (which seems likely) how is the OVF going to handle that? It seems unlikely that it'll be elegant.

But I'm sounding grumpy here - I think this camera is a wonderful venture, and it's really good that Leica have some competition, but this seems to me like a wonderful and limited concept, whereas the NEX 7 is a kind of chameleon camera, incredibly flexible and with almost unlimited extendability . . . I just don't see this flexibility here. It seems to me to be very like the Konica Hexar - splendid and laudable . . but neither the devil, nor the deep blue sea.

So, back to my point - whatever the benefits and wonders of this camera . . I can't really see it as competition for the NEX7.

But probably I'm missing the point!

Amin

Well, I love a good OVF too, which is why I'd never give up on the M9, the rangefinder experience is another thing - but although I found the OVF on the X100 very clever, I didn't find it terribly functional.
Sorry, that was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was, I love a good EVF. I haven't tried either camera, but I'm willing to bet that I would prefer the NEX-7 EVF to the new Fuji hybrid viewfinder.

Jono, all of your points are good, but in large part they relate to your specific preferences. I think that if were were to take a poll of everyone considering purchase of the NEX-7, a significant portion of those folks would also consider the Fuji system. I'm not saying "everyone" or "most people".

But now I'm repeating myself, which is never a good thing in a forum :).

jonoslack

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was, I love a good EVF. I haven't tried either camera, but I'm willing to bet that I would prefer the NEX-7 EVF to the new Fuji hybrid viewfinder.

Jono, all of your points are good, but in large part they relate to your specific preferences. I think that if were were to take a poll of everyone considering purchase of the NEX-7, a significant portion of those folks would also consider the Fuji system. I'm not saying "everyone" or "most people".

But now I'm repeating myself, which is never a good thing in a forum :).
Well, as far as I'm concerned you're clarifying yourself . . which is generally a good thing!
Of course my points relate to my personal preferences . . I think I might be the only person on the whole globe who thought the Contax G camera was a bad idea (and I certainly wasn't against Contax - my RTSII stands as an all time favourite).

much more importantly (and not repeating myself) I can take this opportunity to be less grumpy and to wish you a
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

CharlesK

If the specs match the hype, the Fujifilm X-Pro1 will be amazing :D

Very interesting!!! I had a call from Camera Exchange in Melbourne about 1 hour ago, and they placed an order for 20 of Fujifilm X-Pro1 cameras. They are anticipating delivery late February, at a price of AUD$2,500 for the body with the 35/1.4 lens. I have now one officially on order. :D :D

Full specs and details will be officially available Monday:)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Charles,

Good luck with your new purchase.
I am hoping you will show some pictures here when you have it.

Best, K-H.

CharlesK

Charles,

Good luck with your new purchase.
I am hoping you will show some pictures here when you have it.

Best, K-H.
Thanks:) Yes of course I will post some pics! Though, I am still wary of all the hype. On paper, the X-Pro1 looks like the perfect combo of being a serious photographer's camera IMO.

fotografz

IMO, being wary of all the hype is a good thing Charles.

However, I do agree that on paper this looks to be a serious tool with just the right spread of AF focal lengths for a camera of this type, at a reasonable "working-man's price." Simple, clean and well positioned. BTW, that french article seems to indicate that the 60/2.5 (90mm), was a macro.

Then it'll all come down to how well the ergo's work in real-world situations, how well the AF works in conditions where a camera of this type tends to be used, the optics and of course what the files look like ... especially wide open in mid to higher ISOs. I'll leave the beta testing of all that to others.

I remain subjectively unimpressed with any of the APSc compact camera's files despite being in the hands of some darned good photographers. To my eye the cameras appear to lag the talents of the users.

I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.

Personally, I'm not buying anything, especially any systems camera like this until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina in September. For the time being, I've side stepped the techno-juggernaut in favor of other ways of improving my work which are less ... uh ... financially eroding. This relentless stream of incremental stuff is like being nibbled to death by ducks :ROTFL:

-Marc

V

Vivek

If the specs match the hype, the Fujifilm X-Pro1 will be amazing :D

Very interesting!!! I had a call from Camera Exchange in Melbourne about 1 hour ago, and they placed an order for 20 of Fujifilm X-Pro1 cameras. They are anticipating delivery late February, at a price of AUD$2,500 for the body with the 35/1.4 lens. I have now one officially on order. :D :D

Full specs and details will be officially available Monday:)

Good luck with your purchase!

Even considering that everything camera sold in Australia is very costly, the body + 1 lens price is pretty steep! Even more than the NEX-7 + the E-Sonnar 24/1.8.

Let us hope that Fuji will make it worth the price!.

jonoslack

I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.
Lot's of good points Marc . . except about focus peaking - I've been shooting right over the Christmas period in darkened rooms and at parties and family gatherings, sometimes with candles and always in low light. At first sight it might look like focus peaking is not very operational, but there is always a sparkle in an eye or hair - in fact, at times when one would normally be grabbing focus on the end of a nose or the corner of a pair of glasses, focus peaking means you get the eye in focus - even at really oblique angles. To be honest, it's less useful in very good light where the amount of peaking may be a distraction in the viewfinder.

Irakly asked in another place 'with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around' can you do this with focus peaking? - and the answer is an unhesitating YES.

So - whatever your feelings about other lenses on different sensors, don't knock focus peaking until you've tried it properly. I've even take to shooting AF lenses in manual focus with peaking - especially in low light - (works really well on the A77 where the af/mf button switches peaking on an off); the ability to see what's in focus over the whole frame is really useful, and with practice it's very fast.

. . .. a whole generation of professional video photographers are unlikely to be wrong!

all the best

V

Vivek

Irakly asked in another place 'with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around' can you do this with focus peaking? - and the answer is an unhesitating YES.
Sorry, Jono, that can not be farther than the reality. Admittedly, my eyes aren't the same 20/10 that were just a few years ago but still very good. Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back. For some, the choice of colors may appear to help as long as the color highlights do not show show on the wrong places.

No matter how you spin it, it does not work for me. Most definitely in the quoted circumstance. It is a no go.

lowep

cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps :ROTFL:

Go ahead and sap I say -- as long as it isn't my money, at least not yet - since if this feeding frenzy continues sooner or later some player will have to come up with a new full frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera (apart from the venerable but too expensive Leica M9) just to get ahead of the pack.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Meanwhile :watch:

jonoslack

Sorry, Jono, that can not be farther than the reality. Admittedly, my eyes aren't the same 20/10 that were just a few years ago but still very good. Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back. For some, the choice of colors may appear to help as long as the color highlights do not show show on the wrong places.

No matter how you spin it, it does not work for me. Most definitely in the quoted circumstance. It is a no go.
Well, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either - I quite agree that in low contrast situations the sparkles are transitory and fairly sparse - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing - a backlit hair at 15 ft has contrast - as does a reflection in an eyeball, and these are the things one is normally focusing on.

With the NEX7 (you have one don't you?) you certainly need to turn peaking on to 'high' and 'white' in low light situations.

How hard have you tried? How much have you practiced?

There are only a few possibilities:
1. we have the camera set up differently
2. I'm lying
3. you aren't trying hard enough!

There may be other options, but I can't think of them!