The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Lars

Re: new camera

Rub it in why don't you... :p
Hehe well I just moved to California so I think some rubbing in is mandated.
OTOH some of the sales tax paid in Europe will hopefully benefit the tax payers, that's how I always felt about the 25% sales tax in Sweden. A bigger problem in Sweden in particular is the lack of competition leading to inflated before-tax prices on consumer goods.

photoSmart42

If this Fuji camera is larger and beefier than the NEX and GF/PN series, I'm interested. I absolutely hate the small camera fad. I'm sure a lot of people like that, but it's not for me. I simply don't feel comfortable holding a small body like the NEX, and it feels more unnatural once you attach a large lens to it. The Fuji Pro X1 holds some promise. I'll be at CES next week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to handle it.

Lars

That must be without VAT or something. Pricing in the US is said to be $1699

It is down off of Amazon but.....

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/01/08/pre-order-the-new-fuji-x-pro-1-body/
Yep it did sound a bit low. Still, if body+35 in Europe is 1300 euro and a single lens is 600 euro, then if proportions are the same in US then body+35 would cost $499 * 1300 / 600 = $1081. That's pretty far from $1699.

Lots of if's - we'll know tomorrow.

Edit: OK I saw the Amazon screenshot, $1700 body only. Ouch. It better be good.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Yep it did sound a bit low. Still, if body+35 in Europe is 1300 euro and a single lens is 600 euro, then if proportions are the same in US then body+35 would cost $499 * 1300 / 600 = $1081. That's pretty far from $1699.

Lots of if's - we'll know tomorrow.

Edit: OK I saw the Amazon screenshot, $1700 body only. Ouch. It better be good.
I thought that was 1300 Euro, body only, Lars, not with the lens. But I surely don't know, and would expect typos and such anyway I guess. We'll soon see.

pophoto

Rather than start a new thread, I think Fuji is has been causing a large stir this and last year and although serious attempts are being made, only one thing comes to mind and that being they are making their mark in history but only so far as in good but not good enough. I hope the Fuji X Pro can exist in a series of cameras similar to DSLRs offering both APS-C and full frame sensors. I bought both the X100 and Fuji X10, I sold the X100 after a week but I still keep my X10, I just like it, although mostly used by my son under 2 yrs of age :)
I don't mean that in a bad way, he just loves it as much as I do!

Ben Rubinstein

That price is high, way too high to be honest. Assuming the usual UK markup that puts this camera at substantially higher than the 5DII and the same price as the D700. Oh and close to double the price of a Nex 7.

gDallasK

I can't really see it as competition for the NEX7.

But probably I'm missing the point!
For me that would depend on the Fuji's ability to produce good IQ with wide Leica lenses - something which doesn't seem to be a strength of the NEX7.

Until we have some evidence of that my credit card is safe!

Geoff

Anders_HK

Time to speak my mind off !!!

I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$). I guess I am lucky, because their marketing made the X100 to a turn off to me :D, or I would have been bummed while it was still warm in my hands from factory they come out with the X-Pro 1...

I think wisest is to wait and see what Leica will eventually present to replace the X1 with and how tests and reviews will be. And not only that... made in Germany seem to contrary not be marketed to push you to again and again run out to buyt the latest each time. Leicas also tend to devaluate slower when time to sell..., I guess because they do not have 311 small cameras on market at one time like all other makers of small cameras...

Wishful thinking is if Leica would make an X2 that is tad smaller than X1, FF sensor and that can accept both M lenses and one to three new AF lenses... all with a traditional rangefinder that lets me previsualize the scene on basis through the viewfinder with crisp and bright optics that show me the actual scene, and not a digital ^*%*^$@ representation of it which is not even what I will end up with after having processed it in RAW... :thumbs:

Best regards
Anders

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Time to speak my mind off !!!

I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$). I guess I am lucky, because their marketing made the X100 to a turn off to me :D, or I would have been bummed while it was still warm in my hands from factory they come out with the X-Pro 1...

I think wisest is to wait and see what Leica will eventually present to replace the X1 with and how tests and reviews will be. And not only that... made in Germany seem to contrary not be marketed to push you to again and again run out to buyt the latest each time. Leicas also tend to devaluate slower when time to sell..., I guess because they do not have 311 small cameras on market at one time like all other makers of small cameras...

Wishful thinking is if Leica would make an X2 that is tad smaller than X1, FF sensor and that can accept both M lenses and one to three new AF lenses... all with a traditional rangefinder that lets me previsualize the scene on basis through the viewfinder with crisp and bright optics that show me the actual scene, and not a digital ^*%*^$@ representation of it which is not even what I will end up with after having processed it in RAW... :thumbs:

Best regards
Anders
+1

but I fear this is wishful thinking ;)

jonoslack

more in-depth specs: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/in-deep-look-fuji-x-pro-1-specs/

and, for those of that don't have a life (said with tongue firmly placed in cheek), the news conference: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33371_1-57...s-ces-2012-press-conference-monday-12-p.m-pt/
Thanks Cam
interesting points - significant to me are:

Film Simulation Bracketing: (Any 3 type of film simulation selectable)
Automatic scene recognition
:wtf:
I see that they've continued the X100 principle of adding every conceivable function and facility.

. . . and more to the point
Viewfinder: Hybrid Multi Viewfinder, Optical viewfinder. Reverse Galilean viewfinder with electronic bright frame display
Magnifications: 0.37x / 0.6x
sounds like it's switchable rather than zooming :)

Electronic viewfinder 0.47-in., approx.1,440,000-dots color LCD viewfinder that's versus 2,359,000 on the NEX - hmm

monza

Yes, looks like switchable, so it's not ala Contax G; i.e., view outside the frames.

V

Vivek

Electronic viewfinder 0.47-in., approx.1,440,000-dots color LCD viewfinder that's versus 2,359,000 on the NEX - hmm

Better, I think. As long as the optics side is not up to the performance of the actual (tiny) live view display, it is problematic. I am not a huge fan of the NEX-7' EVF. It is straining.

Shashin

The viewfinder magnification, equal to 0.37 for x and 0.60 x 18mm lens for the 35mm and 60mm, allows you to compose the scene with the brilliant optical clarity and sharpness of an image. The X-Pro1 also gives the freedom to manually set the focal distance and switch to another magnification of the viewfinder.
:)

Shashin

I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$).
You don't have to read it...