The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

greypilgrim

Re: new camera

I find these discussions fascinating as new cameras pop on the market. I often go back over the path I have taken in terms of equipment and find it interesting to note how seemingly simple things could have totally changed where I am today.

For instance, had Nikon ever delivered a 16mm DX prime thus giving me my preferred WA experience of 24mm equivalent, I would most likely never have strayed. As it is, even though I still use my Nikon gear, I have not updated it for years (D200) and am unlikely to. The D700 was interesting but too much of a brick.

For me these days, it is about the shooting experience; most of the cameras I look at are capable of producing the images I want. I spent the beginning of the prior week shooting with basically three lenses (even though I carried others). Most of the work (95%) was with 40mm equiv and 90mm equiv primes. Other times, it is my WA and the 40...

My favorite wish list camera has always been Nikon creating an FM2d (or FM3d, not picky) with three primes and done.

I find the Fuji fascinating for its potential. Who knows if it will pan out. Downsides for me are the 28mm equiv prime rather than a wider 24mm equiv, and the lack of a tilt screen (a techno feature I have truly enjoyed). On the positive side, having the "retro" styling with the controls right there, real aperture rings, hopefully real focus (please) rather than by wire, etc... Looks interesting. It would be even more interesting if the purported M lens capability will deliver a good image with the Cosina wide angles.

Doug

bradhusick

size comparison with M9 from dpreview

both cameras with 50mm equiv. lenses

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Fuji disappoints.

They retrowashed a live view cam that has the following:

1. CDAF.

2. Electronic info from the lenses aiding corrections for CA, aberrations and such.

3. Fly by wire focus and aperture control of lenses.

:wtf:

Terry

Fuji disappoints.

They retrowashed a live view cam that has the following:

1. CDAF.

2. Electronic info from the lenses aiding corrections for CA, aberrations and such.

3. Fly by wire focus and aperture control of lenses.

:wtf:
What were you expecting for focus?
Don't understand the problem with #2

jonoslack

Well - interesting.
I'm really pleased about the optical viewfinder - two magnifications with overlaid framelines - none of the dreaded Contax G masking - not so impressed with the feature bloat, and I'm not sure it's that attractive with the tilting left hand top.

I guess the real test is the focusing . . . and what control you have over the focus point. I think it's a missed trick not to include focus-peaking as an option.

Still, great looking camera - finally Leica have some competition!

Lars

I think it's a missed trick not to include focus-peaking as an option.
Focus peaking seems like an obvious idea to protect, wouldn't it? Nikon filed one patent in April 2011, there's also a Sony patent and a Canon patent that might be related - there's probably a bunch more from different manufacturers. So it's a licensing jungle.

jonoslack

Focus peaking seems like an obvious idea to protect, wouldn't it? Nikon filed one patent in April 2011, there's also a Sony patent and a Canon patent that might be related - there's probably a bunch more from different manufacturers. So it's a licensing jungle.
Well it's used on video camera too. I'd have thought it was such muddy water that anyone could jump in without being noticed!

On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned it's the only satisfactory way of manual focusing on an EVF, and if the OVF is like the X100 there really isn't an easy way to manually focus. Of course, anyone who can think up "film mode bracketing" in a "professional " camera can come up with anything. :ROTFL:

raist3d

Well it's used on video camera too. I'd have thought it was such muddy water that anyone could jump in without being noticed!

On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned it's the only satisfactory way of manual focusing on an EVF, and if the OVF is like the X100 there really isn't an easy way to manually focus. Of course, anyone who can think up "film mode bracketing" in a "professional " camera can come up with anything. :ROTFL:
I think you are greatly shortchanging fuji here. If fujis main absurd sin in a pro camera is film bracketing mode I say they are doing quite well. Fom what I see the ergonomics are much better than any Sony nex by a mile for a professional photographer. To me it now boils down to how the camera responds to state changes.

Look at the rest - fast pines out of the gate including a macro. No stupid dial canon wheel
In the back. Shutter speed dial with lock button. External flash sync socket. The only view finder optical digital with info overlay.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Oh well, there went the New Year's Resolution not to buy any more digital gear this year!

I love my X100. The X10 didn't do it for me. The X-Pro1 with 28/50/90 combo looks like it's EXACTLY what I want and would purchase from Leica with an M9-P if my camera piggy bank weren't so raided already from last year (not to mention that these are Leica lenses still made from unobtainium these days!). However, if the image quality matches my X100 then it's a no-brainer decision. :thumbs:

photohc

With all the hoopla, were are the comments about the focus speed/ability of this camera. Looking at the sample images on the Fuji website on this camera leaves me wanting more. Seems lacking in resolving power when compared with my Leica lenses.

raist3d

With all the hoopla, were are the comments about the focus speed/ability of this camera. Looking at the sample images on the Fuji website on this camera leaves me wanting more. Seems lacking in resolving power when compared with my Leica lenses.
We won't see AF speeds or the like until reviewers get their samples or it ships. I agree, and from my view, that will be key to this camera, but it's impossible to tell now because nobody has one.

- Raist

dhsimmonds

This morning the British Journal of Photography (BJP) have a report of Fujifilm's official unveling of the new X-1 Pro 1 with the headline "Fujifilm goes back to it's professional roots..." The BJP is of course a journal published since the end of the 19th century for pro photographers. So the camera is no longer a rumour!

"The camera incorporates a new 16 MPX APS-C X trans CMOS brand new sensor design which needs no optical low pass filter and configured to offer a new colour array that is inspired by the random arrangement of fine film grain. The RGB pixels are arranged randomly in 6x6 pixel sets which helps to eliminate the fundamental cause of `moire and false colours, claim Fujifim."

The specs go on to mention 6FPS, hybrid viewfinder (X100 type), when the new design Fujinon lenses are attached the VF automatically switch to support the focal length. (I assume from this that M mount lenses would not)

The camera will be released in March and BJP understands that it will retail at £999 for the body and approx. £450-500 each for the lenses, which will incorporate metal barrels and aspherical lens arrangements.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Nice camera system!

Despite of that I have already enough 16MP res cameras around me, so this is kind of a no go. Also if compared to M9 (which is FF) it is same size, so IMHO stretch goal not really met.

Have fun

Peter