The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

dhsimmonds

Re: new camera

BJP published a figure of £999 which is probably the dealer price after the early buyers have gone! Also £450-500 for the lenses which makes it kind of interesting....if there is any left after the rush!

I wonder if Fuji UK's dealers have a buy back policy for X100's! Which also makes me wonder how long it will be before the X Pro 2 is on sale!:ROTFL:

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

Once you have established your primary system (hopefully one that fits your typical requirements ).....everything becomes a question of why? Then the systems are evaluated in terms of what else they can bring to your equipment capabilities . My primary system is built around 2 m9 bodies .

But I also have Nikon D3s/x and the big telephotos ....not because they are better than my M9s ..but because they provide capabilities I feel I need to shoot surfing,polo,baseball,tennis etc.

Same logic for MF ....you can shoot great landscapes with an M9 but MF will generally produce better results .

Certainly a fair POV to contrast the XPRO 1 to all the usual and unusual alternatives and work towards a solution as a primary system (it looks like a winner) ...my comments were more related to the discussion of the Nex 7 and the use of a XP1 as an addition to an M kit .

Shashin

Why better protection?
When in an impact, the tabs on my bayonet mounted lens hood on my Mamiya 6 broke, absorbing some of the force. The camera came out OK. Whether it would have survived with a metal hood, I don't know, but I am glad to sacrifice a hood for the camera/lens. I have certainly banged around a camera around my neck with a plastic hood on and bounces nicely. I have just come to appreciate them.

Lars

i heard these guys were dodgy... anybody dealt with them?

are they authorised dealers?
I have, for the last 10 years. Personal electronics and such though, no photo gear. Seems to be a serious firm but perhaps not a pro photo dealer.

Shashin

Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

Once you have established your primary system (hopefully one that fits your typical requirements ).....everything becomes a question of why? Then the systems are evaluated in terms of what else they can bring to your equipment capabilities . My primary system is built around 2 m9 bodies .

But I also have Nikon D3s/x and the big telephotos ....not because they are better than my M9s ..but because they provide capabilities I feel I need to shoot surfing,polo,baseball,tennis etc.

Same logic for MF ....you can shoot great landscapes with an M9 but MF will generally produce better results .

Certainly a fair POV to contrast the XPRO 1 to all the usual and unusual alternatives and work towards a solution as a primary system (it looks like a winner) ...my comments were more related to the discussion of the Nex 7 and the use of a XP1 as an addition to an M kit .
Roger, absolutely agree.

I have had panoramic systems too and think of those as primary with the more regular setups. So you certainly can think of multiple primary systems with each system for a given specialized/specific use.

Lars

When in an impact, the tabs on my bayonet mounted lens hood on my Mamiya 6 broke, absorbing some of the force. The camera came out OK. Whether it would have survived with a metal hood, I don't know, but I am glad to sacrifice a hood for the camera/lens. I have certainly banged around a camera around my neck with a plastic hood on and bounces nicely. I have just come to appreciate them.
The same can be said for the metal screw-in metal hood for my Nikon 85/1.4D - it's banged up and straightened out, but the lens is in top condition. But just like your story, that's just not enough evidence to say that one material is better than the other.

Shashin

DPreview publishes a price of $1700 with the lenses around $600. Perhaps it will be more expensive in the States. When I bought my Mamiya 6 in Japan, it was $1200 with the 75mm--that was the body price in the States.

dhsimmonds

I use my little Fuji X100 as a secondary camera rather than system. ie I "shoot" wildlife with my Sony A900 or A77 with either 400 or 500 lenses that become 600 or 750 with the A77, which is great for keeping me separate from the action without spoofing the critters! However there are occasions when one of 'em decides to relocate rather quickly and very much closer...no time to change lenses and anyway the process would scare them off, so a small discreet camera always ready around my neck sometimes can save the day! That is a secondary camera for me!

I call my A77 a back-up to my A900 but these days it's usually the other way around. Back-up because each can use the full frame lenses should a camera fail unexpectedy...it does happen but the A77 also makes a very nice 1.5 converter as well!

Shashin

The same can be said for the metal screw-in metal hood for my Nikon 85/1.4D - it's banged up and straightened out, but the lens is in top condition. But just like your story, that's just not enough evidence to say that one material is better than the other.
Sure, it is my impression of the event. But metal hoods don't collapse on an impact like my plastic bayonet one did, not when the force is parallel to the optical axis--they are more like cookie cutters. I am not really in the financial position to truly test my hypothesis, but, like I said, I am a heathen and have preferred plastic bayonet hoods over metals ones ever since.

Shashin

I use my little Fuji X100 as a secondary camera rather than system. ie I "shoot" wildlife with my Sony A900 or A77 with either 400 or 500 lenses that become 600 or 750 with the A77, which is great for keeping me separate from the action without spoofing the critters! However there are occasions when one of 'em decides to relocate rather quickly and very much closer...no time to change lenses and anyway the process would scare them off, so a small discreet camera always ready around my neck sometimes can save the day! That is a secondary camera for me!

I call my A77 a back-up to my A900 but these days it's usually the other way around. Back-up because each can use the full frame lenses should a camera fail unexpectedy...it does happen but the A77 also makes a very nice 1.5 converter as well!
Dave, this was just how it works for me. I also have a small camera, but if you stack the keepers pile next to each other, the small camera has a poor showing and even the keepers from the small chap don't quite have the same pizzazz as those from what I primarily shoot with. And I was not really saying you cannot have more than one camera, but rather each is an important tool (primary) in some way--you seem to have two primary cameras.

kuau

Workshop Member

In the USA which dealers are taking pre orders. I missed the amazon offering.

monza

Steven, see my link in the B/S forum for pre-orders.

This video is pretty impressive...shutter seems quiet, operation seems very quick...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Dave, this was just how it works for me. I also have a small camera, but if you stack the keepers pile next to each other, the small camera has a poor showing and even the keepers from the small chap don't quite have the same pizzazz as those from what I primarily shoot with. And I was not really saying you cannot have more than one camera, but rather each is an important tool (primary) in some way--you seem to have two primary cameras.
I agree with your perspective. Unless the photographs are family,event etc and not intended for serious work ...each system has to be able to deliver portfolio quality images . Sorting out what I thought were “selects” because the images don t compare to my M9 s IQ is painful. Based on using the x100 I expect that the Fuji files will hold up well and my question is can I get the renderings close enough .

kuau

Workshop Member

Roger,
I'm hoping very close to M9 quality for at least 1/5th the price.
Don't get me wrong having owned a M9 which I thought was great and still kicking myself for selling it, yet I wanted to go MF so I needed the funds.
I still have a NEX-7 on order from Amazon, but I think I'm going to cancel it.
I would rather have 16mp no AA filter over 24mp, and have to still purchase all m mount lenss and not great WA performance.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

I would rather have 16mp no AA filter over 24mp, and have to still purchase all m mount lenss and not great WA performance.
That's it right there, but the diopter adjustment is a PITA.

kuau

Workshop Member

Kit, oh well Looks like it takes standards diopter screw on's
Doesn't matter for me, my vision is so bad to start with, I hope the AF performs decently,
Speed is not supper critical to me, bu accuracy is....
When you say PITA is that pain in the you know what?....