The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

raist3d

Re: new camera

I was looking forward to an exciting release from Fuji here, but must confess I'm really disappointed with the sample images I've seen...

Everything I'd read about the new CFA, no AA filter design along with expectations of Fuji lens quality led me to expect ground breaking image quality for an APS-C sensor... just not seeing that yet. :cry:
Well I think the image quality is actually pretty excellent from what I am seeing so far but I will agree with you that except for one shot, I am not seeing any "Foveonesque" resolution or Leica AA-less resolution. That said the colors and tones look superb and it's probably the best JPEG engine in the market.

Oh well, the X100 still works great - and maybe we'll see that long awaited final firmware release given all the feedback which seems to have gone into the X-Pro 1.

Cheers

Brian
The X100 is still certainly great. To me the X1 Pro, given excellent image quality like many cameras, is about the lenses they are coming out with, the usability which seem further better thought out and key will be if the camera responds fast to state changes/settings and the like.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Not sure if FF is really any longer a requirement for a state of the art flexible system with high IQ. Sensor technology is improving and APSC offers already outstanding IQ and resolution, can actually be expected to get up into the 24MP range mainstream. So FF would require in many cases larger lenses, which would be a drawback then again.

In my view FF is becoming the new MFD, while APSC is becoming FF and MFD is getting up into the Tech Cam areas - just MHO.

henningw

Many things about this camera/system look great. The lenses are appealing, even though the focal length range of the initial range is not my cup of tea. If the 23 and 14 were available, I'd be a bit more interested.

The X100 viewfinder is nice, but since, as mentioned before, you have to trust what the camera is doing in AF with little control, and MF is about the same, I sure hope Fuji has this sorted out better. AF had better be faster than on the X100 as well.

Fly by wire focussing is a downer even if the other aspects of MF are improved.

This camera might well appeal to those who have been calling for an AF, live view, and video Leica M. Having shot Leicas for 50 years, my interest is more in having a camera that is fast, responsive and doesn't get in the way. AF and Live view don't necessarily help here, but fast focussing (manual or AF) and a large buffer and fast processor do.

For Live view or SLR type viewing, I use FF Canons and m4/3 cameras, depending on the conditions, but for the type of shooting that the M9 is good for, the Fuji Pro might or might not be good. We don't have enough information yet. Meanwhile, I'm hoping that Photokina will bring us a better M; especially one with a larger buffer and faster processing. Otherwise the M9 is exactly what it should be, excepting always the price.

Henning

Ben Rubinstein

Steven, see my link in the B/S forum for pre-orders.

This video is pretty impressive...shutter seems quiet, operation seems very quick...
That AF is fast p&s speed I'm afraid. That, the lack of a fast mild tele (portrait) lens, no ISO button, fly by wire focusing with a sub optimal EVF, etc does rather stand in the way of their wish to go after the wedding crowd which was mentioned on DPReview, this doesn't begin to be a wedding system at present.

henningw

I forgot to mention that a number of the lenses for the Fuji Pro will be manufactured by Cosina, so make of that what you will. Cosina certainly has the capability to produce very high quality optics, so that is not a negative.

Henning

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

When you say PITA is that pain in the you know what?....
Yes!

And regarding AF speed, etc., I just want the 'normal' lens (the 35) and the M-mount. All the lovely CV lenses I will have by then will work as well, or better one hopes, than on the GXR (which is impressing me in many ways, I have to say, talking here about ergonomics and control flexibility). But more of that later.

Godfrey

Yes!

And regarding AF speed, etc., I just want the 'normal' lens (the 35) and the M-mount. All the lovely CV lenses I will have by then will work as well, or better one hopes, than on the GXR (which is impressing me in many ways, I have to say, talking here about ergonomics and control flexibility). But more of that later.
Ah, does this mean that you've received your GXR-M now? :)

raist3d

Yeah the AF didn't seem all that fast, but then Fuji has about 1 more month to release. The response to everything else seems fast and the fact you can shoot raw and carry on the way they did is a good sign (and that was RAW+ JPEG).

- Raist

retow

Looking good, ticking most of the right boxes, but too large. Is it the OVF, or should the same body host a FF in a next generation model? I hoped for a Leica CL sized camera. As far as body size is concerned, I prefer the NEX 7, and for lens offerings and size the Fuji. Why can't camera makers get it right with body and lenses at the same time. Waiting for September and Leica.

Shashin

Seeing this picture I'm thinking the mount could probably house a FF sensor. Any official word about this? And the lenses, I wonder if they could manage it?
With everything that Fuji has shown with the lens design, the lenses will not cover a 35mm frame. The mount does not look that big either.

emr

With everything that Fuji has shown with the lens design, the lenses will not cover a 35mm frame. The mount does not look that big either.
I think you're right. The lenses look as big as the FF lenses for Leica, but the mount itself isn't that big. The APS-C sensor nearly "fills" the mount.

Image stolen from Dpr:

kuau

Workshop Member

FF rangefinder=Leica M9, and I think it will most likely be that way for at least the near future. For Fuji or anyone else to come up with a small package FF camera would be cost prohibitive because of lens design. Hence the reason Leica glass is so expensive.
Wll the new Fuji produce IQ as good as a Leica, probably not, though I think it will be close.
Let's get real, an M9 and a 50mm summilux costs 11k, the Fuji with the 35mm F1.4 will be under 2500 4.5x less.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

FF rangefinder=Leica M9, and I think it will most likely be that way for at least the near future. For Fuji or anyone else to come up with a small package FF camera would be cost prohibitive because of lens design. Hence the reason Leica glass is so expensive.
Wll the new Fuji produce IQ as good as a Leica, probably not, though I think it will be close.
Let's get real, an M9 and a 50mm summilux costs 11k, the Fuji with the 35mm F1.4 will be under 2500 4.5x less.
And I actually assume that the Fuji glass / IQ will not be distinguishable from Leica. Or at least there will be situations where Leica will have the edge and others where the Fuji will have the edge.

If you are getting into real high IQ needs neither - Fuji nor Leica M9 - will be the best choice, then you will have to go MF - but that should be a different story.

emr

I really hope this new Fuji is a roaring success - but it'll have to be pretty good for me to go there!
Starting the timer in anticipation of seeing the thread "Fun with the Fujifilm X-Pro1" posted by nobody else but you, Jono! ;)

cam

Starting the timer in anticipation of seeing the thread "Fun with the Fujifilm X-Pro1" posted by nobody else but you, Jono! ;)
nah, he's waiting for me to weaken so he can play with it... tit for tat and all that.

(i want to see his NEX-7 :p)

kuau

Workshop Member