The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Shashin

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

May be Fuji don't care as long as they can sell the 50 or 100 thousand units they can produce just to get a foothold in this very competitive market.
I think Fuji is looking to sell thousands of these, than have this as a mass market camera. They are not competing with Sony or m4/3.

Terry

I want to see a photo of that setup. :)
I'm going out shooting with the combo this weekend. It certainly isn't in the true tradition of a small mirrorless set up. However, this is where the Nikon system can be pretty interesting with it's 2.7x crop factor.

Also at the long range of the lens I'm still at f2.8 vs f5.6 on m4/3.

So, of course the crop factor works against you on the wide side.

Nikon 1 is an interesting system. In it's current state it isn't a solo system and needs a supplement be that NEX or Fuji. For me right now my combo is with NEX.

V

Vivek

I think Fuji is looking to sell thousands of these, than have this as a mass market camera. They are not competing with Sony or m4/3.
I don't care how many they produce/sell or who they compete with. All I am looking for is whether it would be useful for me. The lenses appear to be alright.

The DR (as one amateur photographer posted) also seems impressive. I am irritated by the hype from Fuji but that will pass. :)

Would the shutter be quiet?, how it would handle? all such "minor" details also matter.;)

V

Vivek

The Fuji people on video do all seem to be absolutely blown away by the new sensor quality..
How many "etc" did you count in that short clip broadcast by dprevs? ;)

Brian Mosley

How many "etc" did you count in that short clip broadcast by dprevs? ;)
Only 7, but seriously impressed by the brand new (presumably patented) elbow stabilisation system :D

Can't remember the video with the revelations about the new sensor image quality... just that it sounded like a breakthrough for APS-C - just what I'm looking for.

Brian

ustein

Contributing Editor

I'm going out shooting with the combo this weekend. It certainly isn't in the true tradition of a small mirrorless set up. However, this is where the Nikon system can be pretty interesting with it's 2.7x crop factor.

Also at the long range of the lens I'm still at f2.8 vs f5.6 on m4/3.

So, of course the crop factor works against you on the wide side.

Nikon 1 is an interesting system. In it's current state it isn't a solo system and needs a supplement be that NEX or Fuji. For me right now my combo is with NEX.

raist3d

@Brian- remember the Fuji guys are doing a marketing job and are paid by Fuji, so I definitively expect them to be very very impressed with the image quality ;-)

Also a breakthrough on aps-c happened when Sony release that nex/alpha/d7000/k-5 sensor. If you want a good reference for
AAless Bayer detail check the Leica m9 output from raw

Personally I think the dr and tonal range Of what I am seeing is fine. So I would look atthe camera for other attributes which I think may have (said in general , not buying one ).

raist3d

@Uwe- that looks sharp enough to me. I want Nikon to wake me up when they do their Nikon Z1 aimed at photographers and not average Joe/ soccer moms (nothing wrong with that per se). I would be curious what they do on such model.

Ben Rubinstein

All the macro lenses I have used have made great lenses for portraits. I can't think of one example where a macro lens does not work well as they tend to have high tolerances than normal focus range lenses.

I think the Fuji, which is only a 1:2 macro, would be fine lens. If you are looking for a shallow depth of field and you don't think f/2.4 is going to give it to you on an APS sensor, then this will not work for you. But this is not a fault with Fuji, it just does not fit your style.

Where you thinking of only using this system for your wedding work?
Fuji said they were going after the wedding market, without a fast mild tele portrait lens they might as well not bother. Not that it seems they are that serious about it, the AF from all reports is rather slow...

V

Vivek

Ben, There was a percentage of wedding photogs who absolutely preferred the Fuji S series in Nikon mount.

Fuji now claim a lot. Whether anyone would buy the cams for the claimed usage depends on what it can do. That minor detail is still a mystery. :rolleyes:

Shashin

Fuji said they were going after the wedding market, without a fast mild tele portrait lens they might as well not bother. Not that it seems they are that serious about it, the AF from all reports is rather slow...
I would imagine wedding photography is like many types of photography in that each photographer can choose a style and a way of working. Certainly there is a documentary style of photography that some wedding photographers use. I don't think Fuji is saying this is a specialized wedding camera--street photographers, for example, could use this as well.

So were you thinking of using this system for your wedding work?

jonoslack

This is an incredibly useful site that allows one to compare the sizes of many cameras, side by side (here, the Fuji X Pro 1 vs Leica M9):

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,213
It's a wonderful site - most useful. It's saved me a great deal of money!

In the context of the shot you've posted it seems to me that the M9 is a minimalist beauty compared to the X1pro which seems kind of knobbly.

Perhaps this is a little reality check as well:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,33

Little being the operative word - mind you, Fuji will instantly be 2 primes up on Sony who only have the one splendid prime (24 f1.8)