The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

jonoslack

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Pretty impressive results, compared to three full frame cameras:

Hands on: Fuji X-Pro1 review | News | TechRadar
Lies, damned lies and statistics!
I can't criticise or vouch for the 5DII or the Fuji, but I've owned both a D700 and an M9 for a couple of years, and those figures (which I'm sure are technically correct) really don't represent the respective image quality.

V

Vivek

I own none of those cams. But it can not be worse than the M9, really?

Interestingly, Fuji's claims about the X Pro1 "beating" the Canon 5 Mk II appears to be only valid for the jpeg outputs!

jonoslack

Well, the M9 files might be technically rubbish . . .but they're still the nicest ones I get (by a county mile) the concept of the D700 files being better (except at very high ISO) is simply laughable.

V

Vivek

The NEX-7 files are better than any because that is the one I use nowadays and actually use the cam for photography. ;)

Shashin

Lies, damned lies and statistics!
I can't criticise or vouch for the 5DII or the Fuji, but I've owned both a D700 and an M9 for a couple of years, and those figures (which I'm sure are technically correct) really don't represent the respective image quality.
Image quality is subjective and there was no mention of that. Those are just measurements of SNR and DR.

V

Vivek

Image quality is subjective and there was no mention of that. Those are just measurements of SNR and DR.
What else is important to a digital file? :confused:

V

Vivek

Cute but has nothing to do with the discussion.

monza

Interestingly, Fuji's claims about the X Pro1 "beating" the Canon 5 Mk II appears to be only valid for the jpeg outputs!
Was there a direct claim like this against a specific model, or was the quote actually Fuji vs. generic full frame?

Shashin

Cute but has nothing to do with the discussion.
Really? Jono is saying the number don't say everything. I am say they indicate the sensor response. Many folks slam things like DxO Mark because to them it does not reflect their experience. They are reacting to the qualities of the image, not the sensor response. That seemed like a very related response to Jono's comment.

It is not like Jono was talking about the weather and I responded that cows don't eat carrots.

As far as technical qualities like DR and SNR being absolute measure of image quality, that would just be false. Perhaps they are important to you, but there are qualities other value like color and contrast. DR and SNR in and of themselves will not guarantee pleasing images--and that is what pictorial/creative photography is about.

V

Vivek

As far as technical qualities like DR and SNR being absolute measure of image quality, that would just be false. Perhaps they are important to you, but there are qualities other value like color and contrast. DR and SNR in and of themselves will not guarantee pleasing images--and that is what pictorial/creative photography is about.
If you had taken a look at the link, you would know you are twisting things around and the X Pro 1 files are better than the others. DR and SNR are related so are the tonality and such.

V

Vivek

Was there a direct claim like this against a specific model, or was the quote actually Fuji vs. generic full frame?
Canon 5D Mk II from all the leaks and hype, yes.

The link you gave with the comparisons, still makes the X Pro 1 look very good though.

Shashin

If you had taken a look at the link, you would know you are twisting things around and the X Pro 1 files are better than the others. DR and SNR are related so are the tonality and such.
Are you actually following the conversation? My comment is in relation to Jono's post where he does not trust the numbers. I believe he is looking at images taken with his cameras and liking the results, but not understanding the significance of the DR and SNR specs in relation to those images. It is very possible to have very nice images form cameras that do not have "the best" DR and SNR.

I am not making general comments on the quality of the Fuji X-Pro1 images. In fact, I do not think I have stated any opinion of what I think of the X-Pro1 files at all.

I am not the one twisting--you are reading things into my posts that are not there.

V

Vivek

You seem to be reading things which aren't there. Why would D700 files be "laughable" compared to M9? What does that got to do with image samples?

I am sure there are folks that buy cameras from the test samples done by someone. That is a different matter of choice. ;)

Terry

OK let's not make it personal here...and don't let the temperature get too hot.

Shashin

You seem to be reading things which aren't there. Why would D700 files be "laughable" compared to M9? What does that got to do with image samples?
Where did I say that?

V

Vivek

If you follow what Jono has posted that is what he implies and even says it outright. I am sure he has his reasons for it from his experience.

You jumping in to lecture about a picture is more important than numbers and such while the discussion is about a new camera and how it performs is misplaced.

That is what I am pointing out.

monza

Canon 5D Mk II from all the leaks and hype, yes.

The link you gave with the comparisons, still makes the X Pro 1 look very good though.
I don't remember Fuji employees making direct claims against the 5D Mk II.

The technical data is indeed very impressive. Fuji clearly has some really talented engineering. Although all three of the full frame cameras have been out for a while, it's still pretty amazing that an APS sensor has caught and surpassed them in such a relatively short time.

Shashin

If you follow what Jono has posted that is what he implies and even says it outright. I am sure he has his reasons for it from his experience.

You jumping in to lecture about a picture is more important than numbers and such while the discussion is about a new camera and how it performs is misplaced.

That is what I am pointing out.
You are putting words into my mouth and not reading what I posted. The point of my comment is to say our subjective response to an image and its subjective quality does not invalidate the numbers. To say I like the images camera X produces and so the numbers are wrong is not a valid statement.

Just as the idea that only the numbers gives valid information is also misplaced. If that were true, why the need not only for example pictures, but "good" example pictures?

You are not going to take my position that both the numbers and perceived image quality are important and suggest that only one or the other is the valid perspective on judging a camera.

V

Vivek

I see it is futile to have any discussion. You have a camera, right? Any pictures to show? ;)