The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

monza

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Probably best to buy the camera and do your own tests. :)

V

Vivek

I think that holds good for a lot of people! :)

I appreciate your post on how the manual focus assist works in the Fuji X pro1, Robert! Very clear and concise! :thumbs:

KeithL

Images I have seen from the usual test sites are, well, the usual test images. Images I've seen from real photogs, quite a different matter. I find the IQ to be outstanding. And this is from my own use as well, although I'm hardly a 'real' photog.
Care to share some of your own images from the X-Pro1 displaying outstanding IQ?

fotografz

Probably best to buy the camera and do your own tests. :)
Unfortunately, that's the problem isn't it? Who wants to buy something they aren't sure of? So we have to partially depend on communications over the web and test sites ... which isn't as easy as it seems because it's difficult to sort out the biases, motivations, and over enthusiasm of early adopters ... or reconcile differences in what constitutes excellent performance.

The question is, can you evaluate anything over the web? I say yes you can because it is all relative ... if what you are comparing to is also evaluated in the same manner. Is it definitive? No! The final evaluation is how well it fits your needs, and how the prints look. However, the initial cut can often be determined by that relative web comparison if you have a decent eye and know what to look for ... otherwise, why do it t all?

I do not think anyone wants to sabotage any new camera, yet no one wants to buy into something that doesn't match the hyperbolic hype that accompanies almost any new camera that comes out these days. After a few buy-ins to these type pitches, you get a little skeptical and thus all the questions and frank evaluations.

To be honest, I read claims as to better performance than the M9 even at base ISO, better this than the M9, better that than the M9 ... and I look at my own M9 stuff, the shots from Jono's M9, or Irakly's M9, etc. etc. etc., and then look at these X Pro sample shots and ... well ... I become even more skeptical and unconvinced, based on those claims.

Perhaps the Fuji should stand on its own merits, or lack of same ... it is an interesting camera for a decent price. So what if the IQ is not all that distinguishable from other offerings? It is a new sort of form factor that offers at least a taste of rangefinder photography ... with added do-dads that some folks want ... it's NOT a Leica and setting it for that comparison is doomed to failure just like a zillion other M pretenders in past which are now in history's dust bin. On its own it seems to be quite a camera and may full-fill a lot of photographers specific needs and fit their budget like a glove.

All the best ...

-Marc

Terry

Well,
I for one would hope that the M9 plus 28 cron, 50 lux and 90 summarit would be better (tried to match focal and lens speed).

The whole Fuji kit would be....
$1700 + $599 + $599 + $699 = $3,600

The M9 is kit is
$7,000 + $4295 + $3995 + $1895 = $17,185

V

Vivek

The M9 is probably the best camera ever (this is null and void when the M10 shows up, of course) that I am unlikely to buy ever.

On the Fuji X Pro 1, I can not be that certain.

fotografz

Well,
I for one would hope that the M9 plus 28 cron, 50 lux and 90 summarit would be better (tried to match focal and lens speed).

The whole Fuji kit would be....
$1700 + $599 + $599 + $699 = $3,600

The M9 is kit is
$7,000 + $4295 + $3995 + $1895 = $17,185

Don't forget to factor in the Dump-age factor Terry.

Paid $9,250. for Leica 50/0.95 ... sold 2 years later @ $10,650. 2 years use plus $1,400. profit. ;)

I personally haven't lost a penny on any Leica M Lens for the past 6 or 7 years, and made money on most.

So, let's come back 2 years from now and see how this "spread sheet" stacks up :)

Again, it's a waste of time comparing on any front ... let the Fuji bark on its own ... who cares if it can run with the big dogs ... does it work for you and your work? That's all that matters isn't it?

If users were screaming from the rooftops about the amazing AF in any situation and any light ... THAT would pique my interest because of my lousy old eye sight. Excellent focus ability is the first attribute of IQ IMO ... be it manual or AF.

-Marc

V

Vivek

A 13% "profit" is contingent on how the gear is cared for while it is in one's possession.

I understand that "mint", "mint -", ......,user grades determine the value of such goods.

Besides all that, just the feeling of a $10,000 lens being used for a snap in the kitchen ought give a huge morale boost.

KeithL

Just to be clear, I really hope the X-Pro1 delivers. I'd far rather spend £2,500 on a Fuji kit rather than £10,000 on a M10 kit.

When good full size and relevant images are available I'll make the decision to test or not. If and when I test I'll base my decision to buy or not on the quality of the files. Same applies to the M10.

monza

Care to share some of your own images from the X-Pro1 displaying outstanding IQ?
I have :)

As I said above though, it's probably best to just buy the camera. There are plenty of places that take returns if you don't like it. Unless you have your favorite reviewer who has over time proven to see the same things you do yourself, this is the best way.

Of course for most here, the final analysis won't happen until there is raw support. How many here like SilkyPix? :) Thought so...heh.

jlm

Workshop Member

"... because of my lousy old eye sight. Excellent focus ability is the first attribute of IQ IMO ... be it manual or AF."

amen. led me to the Nex 7. amazing ability to see focus with peaking and wide open apertures. light years beyond the rangefinder. And yet, Sony has added those amazing features...like smile recognition and toy camera mode. Who buys into this part?

I'm hoping the fuji will be as good with focus and have less gimmicky baggage.

monza

A 13% "profit" is contingent on how the gear is cared for while it is in one's possession.

I understand that "mint", "mint -", ......,user grades determine the value of such goods.

Besides all that, just the feeling of a $10,000 lens being used for a snap in the kitchen ought give a huge morale boost.
There are several synergistic events that together have helped create this Leica bubble, but who knows how long it will last. Maybe one day Leica will get their production house in order, and build to the demand. Or, the other factors will fade...at that point Leica lenses will go back to depreciating, like all the other brands do. It wasn't all that long ago that Leica lenses were sitting on dealer shelves...

I am waiting this time....

The X Pro 1, based on specs and photos of the camera and lenses I have seen, is appealing to me but I am in no hurry to place an order. After being let down by the X10 (orb issues) I will not (fingers crossed) be an early adopter of any new camera.

That said, I love the form factor of the X Pro 1 and the fact that Fuji introduced three lenses with it. It is tantalizing in many ways.

Short of winning the lottery, I will never own another Leica M. Too much money, among other things I will not venture to mention as I do not wish to argue or defend my personal feelings about Leica with any other forum members.

The entire appeal of the M system to me boils down to the Leica glass and relatively compact size of the M body and full frame sensor. Just can't see shelling out $7K for a body that has no upgrade path other than buying another body for $7K or more. So, Leica is out and thus the appeal of the Fuji X Pro 1. (Note: I still play the lottery.)

I do not believe the Fuji lenses will match the Leica M lenses in any way but for my purposes, close may be good enough. I'm beginning to see excellent photos from the X Pro 1 and frankly, some of them look very Leicaesque (is that a word?).

I am not one of those individuals who is caught up in "The Rangefinder Experience". I just want capability in a relatively small form factor and some decent lenses to use with the camera.

I'm not one who wants to dump my DSLR. I am getting great results from my Pentax K5 and the assortment of lenses I have bought for it and I don't plan to move away from it anytime soon. But.. I would like a second camera that is of the form factor of the Fuji X Pro 1 or Leica M. (No, the Nex has no appeal to me.. tried it, did not like it.)

As the X Pro 1 is now getting into the hands of real photographers I find my daily search for images from it to be fun and informative. I'm looking forward to seeing what those in this forum do with the camera. Can't wait to see the "Fun with the X Pro 1" thread begin.

My eventual decision to buy the camera or not will be based not on specs or reviews but by the images I see produced by the X Pro 1 in the hands of competent photographers. I can live with camera quirks as long as the images it delivers demonstrate that it will work for me and what I shoot.

And so I wait to see what the X Pro 1 can produce and if any un-documented features cause issues.

monza

Care to point to them?
See earlier in the thread. They won't be sufficient for you, I'm sure, and that's fine. They are just snaps. I only had the camera 24 hours.

My eventual decision to buy the camera or not will be based not on specs or reviews but by the images I see produced by the X Pro 1 in the hands of competent photographers. I can live with camera quirks as long as the images it delivers demonstrate that it will work for me and what I shoot.
:clap: