The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hated to do it.. but returned my X10

raist3d

So if one found themselves returning it as Jim did , but unlike Jim this was their only camera. What would you replace it with that comes closest to the X10?
The X10 has its own special things but if it comes down to that, any of the built in lens super zooms - Oly XZ-1, Panny LX5. And the Samsung (forgot which model). Not really including Canon because of the slower lens it has but someone I guess could make the case for it.

If you could make the jump from zoom to prime, then Pentax Q (wouldn't compare it with its zoom lens because it's slower).

- Raist

raist3d

Yes, the Fuji forum on DPR is so totally out of control. I abandoned it some time ago. There is a small group of people there who spend 99% of their time in the forum doing nothing but fighting with others. I found the forum to be totally useless for anything but entertainment. One guy there has been banned 14 times and yet DPR keeps letting him return only to ban him again. There is no real moderation there and I would say that it is the worst forum I have ever encountered anywhere. Glad that is not the case here.
The real sad story is that the Fuji forum about 6-7 years ago was one of the very best forums dpreview had. People even posted pictures with DSLR's of other brands and members even welcomed such posts. How things change! :-(

- Raist

raist3d

The gearhead in a nutshell: "Yeah,but going down that path you stand pretty much still," i.e., if you keep using the same camera you're not growing. :)
Just to be clear, as I read this, I think you meant this for someone who is a gearhead and not a photographer, is my interpretation correct? :)

- Raist

Tim

The G1X does sound interesting on paper.. hope to see how it performs and may consider it. I was a longtime Canon user, 5D, 5D MKII and previous models. My only real complaint with Canon was the bulk of those DSLRs.. the IQ was always good and the L glass very good as well.

I'm looking for a compact camera which will be used when I don't wish to carry my DSLR or MFT stuff around... something that will slip in a jacket pocket... and perform under all lighting situations.
Perhaps there will be a X11 with all fixes?

What about the other X1G errrr, sorry, :p isn't that GX1 (Panasonic GX1) with that Pancake zoom they offer?

If only they had put a EVF ala the Nex7 on the GX1.:deadhorse:

Perhaps there will be a X11 with all fixes?

What about the other X1G errrr, sorry, :p isn't that GX1 (Panasonic GX1) with that Pancake zoom they offer?

If only they had put a EVF ala the Nex7 on the GX1.:deadhorse:
I have the GF1 and the GH2 as well as the 14mm, 20mm, 25mm, 14-45mm and 45-200mm. I had high hopes for the GX1 but the lack of a built in EVF put me off. The EVF I have for the GF1 is one of the worst I have ever seen but it does get used when the sun totally washes out the LCD.. I only use it in such cases. I think the GX1 missed the mark in that it lacks the built in EVF and the LCD is not articulated.. had those two things been part of the package I would have bought one.

The X10, for a small sensor camera, really is impressive in many ways but it has to be able to handle specular highlights properly.. and for now, it does not.

The X Pro 1 looks interesting but I'm not sure I want to invest in another system camera as my K5 really does perform well and I have a full set of primes and zooms for that camera. It's also weather-sealed and offers some nice features.

I'm not looking for the perfect camera.. as that will never be found, but I am looking for a small, non-mini-DSLR form factor, camera that really performs. I would prefer a larger sensor than that in the X10 but so far I've not come across one that appeals to me. The NEX doesn't work for me.

Leica is making some noise about an "affordable" Leica but if it is anything like their X1, I am not interested. The M9 (for me) requires way too much of an expenditure, so that is not an option. Can't justify spending $7K for a body and thousands of dollars on lenses. I love Leica but like most, can't afford their price tags.

And so... I wait...

Terry

The GX1 with EVF and articulated lcd is the G3. I know people wanted a square box but of all the mirrorless cameras across all of the manufacturers, it is one of the best values and does that without much sacrifice on performance (IQ, etc.)

Knorp

The GX1 with EVF and articulated lcd is the G3. I know people wanted a square box but of all the mirrorless cameras across all of the manufacturers, it is one of the best values and does that without much sacrifice on performance (IQ, etc.)
Agreed, but although I very much like my G3 the lack of a proper grip hurts, especially with longer/heavier lenses. So bring on the GH3 ... :D