The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X10 Firmware update is out (1.03 Feb 9)

Terry

In addition to the white disk orb issue there seems to be other improvements

Most notable improvement seems to be that the RAW button is now user programmable.

ISO carries across to different modes.

Not sure why they say the orbs are from EXR auto. I don't have the camera with me to update

Firmware for X10 | Fujifilm Global

Terry,

I had to take a look at what was going on in the Fuji forum at DPR because I knew they would be all over this release... quite a few sample photos but none of them show any real difference with the orb issue.

I just returned my X10 (got the full amount credited to my credit card, no restocking fee). If they do "eliminate" the orb issue I would buy it again. I'm keeping my eye on the situation as that is the ONLY reason I returned the X10.

How was Death Valley?.. or are you still there?

Terry

Still in Death Valley,

I still haven't seen "good images - with good composition and content" - wrecked by the orbs. I've only seen really intentional torture. Would have liked to have seen the images that pushed you over the edge to return yours.

Still in Death Valley,

I still haven't seen "good images - with good composition and content" - wrecked by the orbs. I've only seen really intentional torture. Would have liked to have seen the images that pushed you over the edge to return yours.
I should have saved them... but didn't. It was a restaurant setting with lots of small lights, strands of xmas type lights, as well as "normal" lights.. they all turned out looking like hole punches.. some of them even had black outlines.

Another situation was shooting landscapes where the sun was being reflected off of water... it just didn't "look right".

I really like the camera and as I said, I may buy it again.. or opt for the X Pro 1 when I see what it is capable of. The X10 really is good in so many ways but I did not want to own and use a camera that I could not count on ALL of the time.

alba63

I did not want to own and use a camera that I could not count on ALL of the time.
Was the x10 your primary (or: only) digital camera you were using?

I must say, I have had few occasions only to shoot my x10 outside in sunny weather - I practically never shoot at night with car lights and such, but was able to reproduce orbs.

In sunny weather here in Berlin you have lots of glass, windows and such to create strong reflections. I have had ORBs in those pictures, but somehow I intentionally was looking to get them, which is quite unnatural. In my normal shooting I may get less than 1 ORB per 100 pictures. Of course I haven't tested it with the new firmware yet.

All in all, my take is, the strenghts of this camera vastly eclipse the few weaknesses. And of course I should say that for any serious shooting, I use one of my DSLRs...

Not problem for me....

Bernie

Was the x10 your primary (or: only) digital camera you were using?

Not problem for me....

Bernie
Oh, no.... the X10 is not my primary. I use a K5, GH2 and GF1. The X10 was to be my take anywhere, one lens camera to replace my d-Lux 4.

I said the same thing.. Not a problem for me... until it became a problem.

It is a very capable little camera but this one flaw has and will cause issues for others as well as myself. I really liked using it and the files were great.. Fuji just needs to find a true fix.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I didn't think it would.. I really believe this is a hardware/sensor issue that can not be overcome with firmware without negativly impacting other features of the camera.
Well, must say that I had this issue (if at all) very seldom till now. Not sure if I really understand your criteria on how a camera has to perform under these lighting conditions, I at least have shot multiple small sensor cameras over the past years and I would not rate the X10 being worse at all compared to the others.

I have different issues with the X10, which are far more serious and make me use it less, but for sure not the White Orb issue.

Well, must say that I had this issue (if at all) very seldom till now. Not sure if I really understand your criteria on how a camera has to perform under these lighting conditions...
Well, all of my other cameras (GF1, GH2, K5, G9, 5D and M8) rendered specular highlights as starbursts of sorts.. much more pleasing than white blobs, orbs, etc...

When I look at the reflection of the sun on a chrome car bumper or small lights of high intensity in the distance or across a room.. I usually see something that resembles a point of light with rays radiating out from the light source... I believe that is what the camera should see and reproduce as well. As I mentioned, all of my other cameras render that way but the X10 does not.

Again, I loved the X10 on so many levels but I could not keep a camera that I could not use under all lighting conditions.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After playing with my X10 now for over a month I sold it last weekend.

It was NOT the WORB issue why I did that, but rather that I did not quite come along with the usability of this pretty camera. Also I must say that I was really disappointed with the OVF, where Fuji had made so many noise about in their advertisements. For me it is clear now that I prefer a good EVF above all of these low cost OVFs.

I will also no longer consider the XPro1. Shall others play early adopters ;)