The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 + what for Travel

TechIV

Hey all... despite its shortcomings, I've really fallen in love with the x100. Kinda reminds me of my Konica Hexar AF.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice as to what you think would be the best second camera for travel (primarily portraits). I've traveled with all kinds of gear, large format, full professional zooms in 35mm and digital, but my favorite trips have always been with the least gear.

My idea focal length would be a short telephoto (85 to 105mm eq in 35mm).

My original idea was to use a Nikon V1 outfit + X100. Despite lovely exposure and portability, the lack of shallow dof control, fuzzy UI and limited sensor range kind of annoyed me (the same reason I never caught on with the gf1 minus the controls). Any suggestions for a body + lens (max $800) [used is ok]?

Thanks in advance.

cjlacz

Why not a m43s camera with the 45mm 1.8 Olympus lens. It's tiny, the lens is fantastic. With a used body it should come out under $800, less if you can find the lens used too. I can the GF1 and the 45mm used for less then $450 equivalent here. The sensor isn't any better though.

Terry

X-pro1 with 60 macro on the expensive side.

Panasonic GX1 with Oly 45 f1.8 (90mm effective)
Olympus OMD E-M5 with 45 f1.8

Sony NEX7 + 50mm f1.8 (but bigger than X100)

Canon G1X (but lens at portrait length is pretty slow)

retow

Olympus EPM1 with the 45 f1.8. The EPM1 has a very fast AF, is tiny and mounted with the Panasonic pancake 14mm fitting into a pocket, so with the excellent 90mm equiv. and 28mm equiv. it complements the X100 nicely. Another, though more costly alternative, would be a Ricoh GXR m-mount with e.g. a CV Nokton 50mm f1.5 (MF only).

TechIV

I love this forum!

That Olympus 45mm seems nice--are most people pretty pleased with it?

One other option I came up with was an older Pentax SLR (KX or Kr) and 70mm f2.4 (never used or handled one, but I think they share the D90's Sony sensor)?

I loved the GXR, particularly the 50mm equiv A12 module, but I think it's a little rich for my blood at the moment :(

I'll look into some 43's cameras... the only one I've used is the GF1--while sharp the OOC colors left something to be desired. THANK YOU SO MUCH to those who so quickly replied!

-----------------------
One last note, be nice Terry--I can't afford that dream lineup yet :eek:, oh and the Iceland gallery on your site was absolutely phenomenal.

Brian Mosley

You may prefer the OM-D if you want decent external controls and inbuilt viewfinder. The 45mm f1.8 is an absolute gem. Check out the slightly mis-titled thread 'no fun with 45mm' on here for sample images.

Good luck

Brian

trisberg

Why not get a Panasonic G3 with the kit zoom and then add a cheap 50mm manual focus lens with an adapter for the portrait shots. Should deliver great quality at a reasonable price. Another alternative is the Nikon D3100 with kit zoom and a 50mm f/1.8G AF-S for portraits. Both of these options should be within your price range.

-Thomas