The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP! Adobe DNG converter and Fuji X10 RAF files

Terry

Jono - Neither the X100 or the Xpro-1 use the EXR type sensor. So the problem doesn't exist.

This issue of it not being widely reported is a little bit of finding people who use the same combination of software and hardware. I venture to guess that LR has a much bigger market share than Aperture simply from leaving out the entire window marketplace.

Godfrey

My affair with the X10 lasted three days. Just didn't like it enough to bother trying to figure out its eccentricities.

If I were heading off to China, I'd grab either of my GXR or M9 and a pair of lenses. Small enough, convenient and reliable. Make great photos, and work well with my software. Done.

:)

cam

so i downloaded your files... From LR3, if you add your RAF to the Library and develop it there, you can export a 3000 X 4000 TIFF (same as the Fuji JPEG).

you can work with a TIFF in Aperture, non?

still, i'm with Godfrey... take your M :D

jonoslack

Godfrey - Cam -
Thanks for the input - I wasn't going to Leave my M9 behind, Oh No! I was going to use the X10 as a quick and zoomy backup (and try and induce Emma to use it a bit too) - your idea of using TIFF files Cam is fine - but I've kind of learned that changing workflow that radically is only worth it for a major camera.

I think I'll probably take an M9 with a WATE, a 28, a 50 and a 90, but I haven't finally decided . . I'm also going to take the A77 with the 70-300 G lens (cormorant fishing amongst other things).

cam

If Emma likes the Fuji, then it is worth jumping through hoops! (worth a try, non?)

if not, your Oly will be there in a blink and hopefully that will satisfy your small and sassy needs :p

jonoslack

If Emma likes the Fuji, then it is worth jumping through hoops! (worth a try, non?)

if not, your Oly will be there in a blink and hopefully that will satisfy your small and sassy needs :p
Good Thinking - maybe it stays . . . . ho hum!
you are being helpful.

Godfrey

..your idea of using TIFF files Cam is fine - but I've kind of learned that changing workflow that radically is only worth it for a major camera.

I think I'll probably take an M9 with a WATE, a 28, a 50 and a 90, but I haven't finally decided . . I'm also going to take the A77 with the 70-300 G lens (cormorant fishing amongst other things).
A friend of mine in the UK bought the X10 and loves it ... His decision is to ONLY use it for making JPEGs. Given my experience with it, that might indeed be the best way o come to terms with the X10, but then that's how I use the iPhone and it does a good enough job for that use paradigm. I expected too much from the Fuji.

Beyond that ... You carry a lot of gear! two/three cameras, four/five lenses... Whew. Maybe I've gotten old, but I just don't want to juggle the vision of all those choices anymore. Two or three lenses, one camera is as much as my shrinking mental vision wants to handle at any time.

B

bwana

i also have experienced the 'fuji reality distortion field'. they really do 'think different'. Funny that apple does not support them.

Perhaps a little off topic but relevant, how can i see the two different frames of an x10 image? tnx.

dhsimmonds

Beyond that ... You carry a lot of gear! two/three cameras, four/five lenses... Whew. Maybe I've gotten old, but I just don't want to juggle the vision of all those choices anymore. Two or three lenses, one camera is as much as my shrinking mental vision wants to handle at any time.
You like to live dangerously then! :rolleyes:

I also used to only take one camera body with me until on a photo shoot with the Leica Fellowship on one occasion my camera let me down (It turned out to be not a faulty camera but a faulty Transcend memory card but I didn't know that at the time!). Immediately I was surrounded by helpful Leica photographers who politely advised me to ALWAYs take a standby camera body with me , especially on expensive trips overseas!

I have to say that since then I always have two bodies with me, each capable of taking the same lenses. Professor Sod has also ensured that I have never needed the spare! ;)

M

mistaki spita

I have a problem.
Aperture doesn't yet support the X10, so I was going to use my normal strategy and convert the .RAF files to DNG files.
however - the Adobe DNG converter . . . and also Lightroom 4 . . are converting the .RAF files to 2816 × 2116 sized files.
If I shoot RAW+jpg - the jpgs are 4000x3000.

so
1. am I doing something stupid
2. does the DNG converter always convert .RAF files to half sized .DNG files?

any help gratefully received!

all the best
See below for what will work:

flysurfer, on 27 March 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:
Silkypix 4 and 5 do work just fine, the downloads are free and fully functional for 30 days. Buying version 4 for Mac also gives you a free license key for version 5, which will work on 2 different machines.

I was successful in getting the Silkypix 4 on trial. With that program I was then able to convert my Raw files to tiff. As you probably know tiff files are compatible with Photogshop and LR4. I tuned up the images on LR4 and successfully make excellent prints on my Epson 4900.

For your further information I smile when I am referred to as a "Newbie". Actually I am an 81 year old elder who has been photographing and making my own prints for several decades. My work and background can be found on my site <aportraitofcanada.ca>.

Thanks again for your advice.

Godfrey

You like to live dangerously then! :rolleyes:

I also used to only take one camera body with me until on a photo shoot with the Leica Fellowship on one occasion my camera let me down (It turned out to be not a faulty camera but a faulty Transcend memory card but I didn't know that at the time!). Immediately I was surrounded by helpful Leica photographers who politely advised me to ALWAYs take a standby camera body with me , especially on expensive trips overseas!

I have to say that since then I always have two bodies with me, each capable of taking the same lenses. Professor Sod has also ensured that I have never needed the spare! ;)
don't mind living dangerously. unless someone's paying me for the work, if i don't get a particular photo because of an equipment failure, i'll get others another time. there's no panic or pressure. ;-)

if someone's paying me for a shoot, i always have backups for both camera and lens with me.

G