The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Terry

Some people have fun with new cameras and that is part of their pleasure. Nothing wrong with it.

raist3d

Some people have fun with new cameras and that is part of their pleasure. Nothing wrong with it.
True. Likewise there are many (majority?) who seem to expect the new camera model to bring photographic redemption. It won't. :)

But all right, I agree with that you said.

- Raist

jonoslack

True. Likewise there are many (majority?) who seem to expect the new camera model to bring photographic redemption. It won't. :)

But all right, I agree with that you said.

- Raist
HI Ricardo
no panacea . . but I agree with Terry - it's good trying new cameras, and, within reason, it can refresh one's creativity.

. . . . so . . . can someone lend me an X1 Pro for a week or so :ROTFL:

ustein

Contributing Editor
We had the Fuji X-Pro1 for this morning. All images from JPEG.

-Great JPEGs, excellent truthful colors and good detail
-Good lenses (at least the 35mm and 60mm)
-ISO amazing
-Sensor delivers and no AA filter seems to pay off
-No IS in lenses yet
-AF so-so (you can hear the slowish AF motor)
-slow writing to card
-No raw support in Lightroom yet
-Still the raw files don't seem to be compressed
-OVF is not very precise
-EVF of but not great
-No diopter for the viewfinder (but you can use screw-in corrections lenses)
Auto-ISO can result in longer shutter speeds that may produce motion blur

More images can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Images2012-1/201204Apr/i-2fQRbSv/0/O/1204FXPro10051GilroyLRE.jpg

Last edited:

scho

Infrared with the XP1. Hoya R72 filter on the Fujinon 35 1.4. 30 sec exposure at f/8 ISO 200 (with long exp noise reduction on). Doable, but I'll probably stay with my dedicated NEX5-N IR for most infrared work. Open in new window for larger version.

scho

We had the Fuji X-Pro1 for this morning. All images from JPEG.

-Great JPEGs, excellent truthful colors and good detail
-Good lenses (at least the 35mm and 60mm)
-ISO amazing
-Sensor delivers and no AA filter seems to pay off
-No IS in lenses yet
-AF so-so (you can hear the slowish AF motor)
-slow writing to card
-No raw support in Lightroom yet
-Still the raw files don't seem to be compressed
-OVF is not very precise
-EVF of but not great
-No diopter for the viewfinder (but you can use screw-in corrections lenses)
Auto-ISO can result in longer shutter speeds that may produce motion blur

More images can be found here:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Images2012-1/201204Apr/i-2fQRbSv/0/O/1204FXPro10051GilroyLRE.jpg
Very nice images Uwe and accurate synopsis of the XP1 good and bad points.

Sapphie

Re: I hate you.. I hate all of you....

I don't see why honestly and saying this in general- why the release of a good camera like the X1-Pro should trigger a complete desire to buy from people with already excellent cameras baffles me at this point, if they are interested in photography that is. Maybe that's my mistake, that assumption.

Seen long enough that a lot of same group that jumped from X to latest pen2, jumped to GH2/K-5's then Pen 3s, then now the EM-5 and X1 Pro. Oh what's on that horizon- the GH3? And later E-7 (yes, it's coming apparenlty) and EM-5 MKII. I am sure there will be some new super camera coming in 6-12 months to upgrade again. And again. And again. And again.

I realize that my K-5 is still very much fantastic. Nothing to do with the K-5, all to do with why from having a fantastic camera go to a new fantastic camera.

- Raists
I might be one of this set, though don't have it as bad as the others :) My digicam era started with the Minolta Dimage 7 about 10 years ago and I thought it was a technological marvel and I took it everywhere and thought it was wonderful. In order after that: Pentax ist*D, Sony R1, Pentax K20D, Panasonic G1, Pentax K5, Panasonic GH2, Fuji X100 ...

Can you spot a pattern? The Minolta may not compare with modern EVFs but it did really show you the exposure you would get and the histogram seemed accurate. But DSLRs were supposed to be 'better' and I already had some Pentax lenses. The first one was OK but I missed the EVF type view. The K20D could never give me consistent exposure and was always underexposing, so back to an EVF camera. I went *three years* (hurrah) with the G1 before buying another. Suddenly the K5 was supposed to be the answer to life the Universe and everything and it is an excellent camera and at the same time I was having issues with EVFs and preferred an optical view - maybe to do with my eyesight getting worse (age you know). The GH2 I had for about a month and sold it, I really didn't get on with it at all.

The X100 - wow, what a beauty. I have had it since May last year. My K5 has been gathering dust ... and is up for sale (though I hate parting with stuff and may change my mind!). I think I have/had found the ideal - light, great lens, just *one* lens, great IQ, lovely retro look, feel, case. Superb OVF. I think I have taken better shots with it because it wants to be held and used and taken out.

The X-Pro 1: I honestly wasn't going to do it but I went and held one. I feel guilty, like I have 'cheated' on my X100, like I know that the X100 is still evolving and she and me still haven't got to know each other fully yet. I certainly can't justify the expense and remember in the UK we can't just take kit back unless it is faulty. Yes, I do seem to keep shooting the same sort of subjects and if I looked at it rationally I should have stopped at the Panny G1.

My GAS isn't new with digital - I had it with film cameras too ...

I am not sure yet if I will get to love the X-Pro 1 as much as the X100 but I am going to have a good try.

Life is short, time is short, time for having 'fun' is even shorter.

Lee

P.S. I need to resolve to stay away from all camera fora for a few years ...

V

Vivek

Re: I hate you.. I hate all of you....

Life is short, time is short, time for having 'fun' is even shorter.

Lee

P.S. I need to resolve to stay away from all camera fora for a few years ...
Lee, Keep posting the photos. I enjoy them. The X Pro 1 images (pretty much every single image posted by everyone) are quite decent to excellent. Amazing IQ!

Diane B

I agree. I shouldn't be reading this forum LOL. Not that I plan to do anything about it now but down the road a bit its one to consider it looks like.

Terry

My first real outing with the camera. I went to the Japanese Tea Garden in SF. It only opens at 9 and there isn't much time before the sun gets harsh and there are too many people in the way. I have to get used to shooting primes again....although when I do that I seem to like to have two bodies. Mostly everything was taken with the 35mm. If I had to pick one of the three lenses or the X100 with the 24mm I would stick with the 35mm. I like my lenses either very wide or a little longer so the 35mm on a crop sensor suits me well.

There was a photographer doing a model shoot

Sapphie

Terry

The images look great. How do you feel about the camera, the overall package, compared with others that you have experienced?

Lee

scho

My first real outing with the camera. I went to the Japanese Tea Garden in SF. It only opens at 9 and there isn't much time before the sun gets harsh and there are too many people in the way. I have to get used to shooting primes again....although when I do that I seem to like to have two bodies. Mostly everything was taken with the 35mm. If I had to pick one of the three lenses or the X100 with the 24mm I would stick with the 35mm. I like my lenses either very wide or a little longer so the 35mm on a crop sensor suits me well. ]
Terry,

Very nice Tea Garden images with the XP1. I also prefer the 35 focal length (as compared to 24 for example) as a general purpose lens.

Terry

Lee -
I feel good about the camera. It was really my first shoot with it. It will take some getting used to my flow with it. I know that doesn't sound very positive about the camera but with the dual OVF/EVF and macro setting switching around what you see through the viewfinder I need to get it all set up correctly with histogram etc. Now that I've really gone out shooting I can make those adjustments. It will take a bit to get used to the aperture on the lens. I keep going to the exposure comp wheel as it is positioned like the tri-navi wheels on Sony.
Image quality is fantastic.
Write speed is too slow if you want to review the histogram. Using class 10 will try a faster card.
Need to deal with reformatting card....even iPad with camera connection adds something on the card which Fuji doesn't deal with and it takes 30 seconds to be ready to shoot if those hidden files are there. iPad won't read the card if you write protect it.

As I think of more, I will add the info.

scho

A few images taken on an Easter sunday excursion to nearby Keuka Lake and the small village of Hammondsport at the south end of the lake. All with the 35 1.4 on the XP1.

Keuka Lake from Heron Hill vineyard

Keuka Lake pano from 3 shots

Church in Hammondsport

Village Tavern (across the square from the church ;))