The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

V

Vivek

Keep going, Lee. I am still watching.

I can't get one unless I sell some of my gear. Either that, or I wait for the plastic version of the X Pro 1.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The more of these images from the XP1 I see the more I am sure I will get one as soon as available here in Austria!

Brian Mosley

Yes, do please keep going Lee... I'm convinced that the X-Pro 1 has amazing, beautiful tonality. I can definitely see myself getting one in due course.

Cheers

Brian

scho

Carl

All great but love the window shot especially.

Lee
Thanks Lee. I'm still in learning mode with this camera and struggling with the jpeg only workflow available at the moment. Hoping for raw support soon from either Adobe or Phase One. You seem to be doing quite well with the XP1 and your jpegs look great. Are you doing much PP and what film setting are you using?

Sapphie

Thanks Lee. I'm still in learning mode with this camera and struggling with the jpeg only workflow available at the moment. Hoping for raw support soon from either Adobe or Phase One. You seem to be doing quite well with the XP1 and your jpegs look great. Are you doing much PP and what film setting are you using?
Hi Carl

Well, things are perhaps easier for me as I already have the X100. With that I eventually realised that the JPEG output was pretty much as good if not better than I could get from RAW. Until this camera I had always shot RAW. Shooting JPEGs has carried over to the X-Pro 1, though I am shooting RAW+Fine at the moment because I want to see what LR can do once it supports RAW.

I use the camera mainly in auto-DR, auto-ISO, the former does a great job. As far as image tone goes all I usually do is perhaps minor adjustments to blacks/whites/highlights/clarity in LR. Very little PP - I am not very adept at it!

I usually use Provia, though Velvia seems to work better than in the X100. The last two colour shots of mine here were Velvia. If you take RAW then it is worth playing with the in-camera RAW conversion utility afterwards to compare the different simulations. It seems to me that Velvia can be a little 'softer' than Provia but this is just a feeling at this stage. Velvia does also clip the blacks and that 'look' can usually be replicated with a Provia shot and some PP such as saturation boost. I am yet to try out the 'Pro Neg' simulations.

Best wishes
Lee

Sapphie

Hi Lee, can you share your thoughts/settings for jpeg shooting with the X100?

Thanks

Brian
Hi Brian

No magic at all. I tend to use the X100 on auto-DR, auto-ISO, Provia film simulation. With the X100 I never really felt that Velvia or Astia were for me. Once loaded into LR4 I might just do some levels adjustment by dragging the 'blacks' slider to the left and the 'whites' slider to the right. Sometimes LR says there is a little highlight clipping and I think it is usually just one channel, so I may drag the highlights slider to the left just a touch. Occasionally I will fiddle with contrast, clarity, saturation but not by much.

How about yourself?

Lee

Jolly

Hi Carl

Well, things are perhaps easier for me as I already have the X100. With that I eventually realised that the JPEG output was pretty much as good if not better than I could get from RAW. Until this camera I had always shot RAW. Shooting JPEGs has carried over to the X-Pro 1, though I am shooting RAW+Fine at the moment because I want to see what LR can do once it supports RAW.

Best wishes
Lee
I fully agree :)

Brian Mosley

Hi Brian

No magic at all. I tend to use the X100 on auto-DR, auto-ISO, Provia film simulation. With the X100 I never really felt that Velvia or Astia were for me. Once loaded into LR4 I might just do some levels adjustment by dragging the 'blacks' slider to the left and the 'whites' slider to the right. Sometimes LR says there is a little highlight clipping and I think it is usually just one channel, so I may drag the highlights slider to the left just a touch. Occasionally I will fiddle with contrast, clarity, saturation but not by much.

How about yourself?

Lee
Thanks Lee, generally, for landscape shooting I'll use the following...

Dynamic Range : 100
Film Simulation : Astia/Soft
Colour : M-HIGH
Sharpness : HARD
Highlight Tone : M-SOFT
Shadow Tone : M-HARD
Noise Reduction : STD
Colour Space : sRGB

The highlight and shadow tone settings are useful to give the punch I'm looking for in shadows, and nice roll off for highlights.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Ok, where are you all?

Lee
HI Lee
I'm still watching too - great landscape stuff - and the rape just coming out to test those yellows!

No sun here this weekend I'm afraid, and now I'm sitting in the office watching it through the window :facesmack::cry: