The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Sapphie

HI Lee
I'm still watching too - great landscape stuff - and the rape just coming out to test those yellows!

No sun here this weekend I'm afraid, and now I'm sitting in the office watching it through the window :facesmack::cry:
Hi Jono

Don't bother, you'd hate it! The camera is rubbish. Just trying to bring a sense of balance :) That rape field shot (and the others I shot at the same time) is possibly the best one of that type I have done with digital. My Pentaxes tended to underexpose ... like they were blinded by the stuff.

Yes, it can be hard can't it? Rain all day yesterday. More sun than showers today. Never enough time to get out and enjoy the camera(s). I am in the office too (clearly working hard!) but I guess without it I wouldn't be able to afford the camera(s).

Cheers
Lee

Sapphie

Thanks Lee, generally, for landscape shooting I'll use the following...

Dynamic Range : 100
Film Simulation : Astia/Soft
Colour : M-HIGH
Sharpness : HARD
Highlight Tone : M-SOFT
Shadow Tone : M-HARD
Noise Reduction : STD
Colour Space : sRGB

The highlight and shadow tone settings are useful to give the punch I'm looking for in shadows, and nice roll off for highlights.

Cheers

Brian
Thanks Brian. I might have a fiddle with some of these - it's easy to do if I shoot RAW and then experiment with the in-camera converter. I was never really sure about Astia but maybe it helps with the sharpness setting. Sounds like you are aiming somewhere between the default Astia and Velvia settings.

Lee

scho

Hi Carl

Well, things are perhaps easier for me as I already have the X100. With that I eventually realised that the JPEG output was pretty much as good if not better than I could get from RAW. Until this camera I had always shot RAW. Shooting JPEGs has carried over to the X-Pro 1, though I am shooting RAW+Fine at the moment because I want to see what LR can do once it supports RAW.

I use the camera mainly in auto-DR, auto-ISO, the former does a great job. As far as image tone goes all I usually do is perhaps minor adjustments to blacks/whites/highlights/clarity in LR. Very little PP - I am not very adept at it!

I usually use Provia, though Velvia seems to work better than in the X100. The last two colour shots of mine here were Velvia. If you take RAW then it is worth playing with the in-camera RAW conversion utility afterwards to compare the different simulations. It seems to me that Velvia can be a little 'softer' than Provia but this is just a feeling at this stage. Velvia does also clip the blacks and that 'look' can usually be replicated with a Provia shot and some PP such as saturation boost. I am yet to try out the 'Pro Neg' simulations.

Best wishes
Lee
Thanks Lee, generally, for landscape shooting I'll use the following...

Dynamic Range : 100
Film Simulation : Astia/Soft
Colour : M-HIGH
Sharpness : HARD
Highlight Tone : M-SOFT
Shadow Tone : M-HARD
Noise Reduction : STD
Colour Space : sRGB

The highlight and shadow tone settings are useful to give the punch I'm looking for in shadows, and nice roll off for highlights.

Cheers

Brian
Thank you Lee and Brian for sharing your jpeg workflows. I usually shot only raw so I tend to use too much PP when working with jpegs. Guess I just have to get the settings right and then let the camera do most of the work.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Right out of the box...jpegs...35/1.4...manual mode, around 8/250...no apologies for off-color... shot very early AM...very impressed with image quality...very sharp!

Last edited:

Sapphie

Noise reduction set to lowest. Auto DR, auto ISO. It came out at ISO 3200, 1/40 sec hand held, f5.6, with apologies to all who have seen enough already of Sapphie. No PP.

Lee

scho

Right out of the box...jpegs...35/1.4...manual mode, around 8/250...no apologies for off-color... shot very early AM...very impressed with image quality...very sharp!
Very nice Roy. Great color in the first shot.
Just a quick snap with the 35mm in macro mode, heavily cropped but no other PP. ISO 500, f/11.
Lee
Beautiful rose image Lee. Sapphie seems to have infinite patience.

Sapphie

Sapphie seems to have infinite patience.
She loves it. Gently purrs in front of the camera. A real feline poser. Anyway, enough before I get arrested.

Just sold my Pentax K5 and have a slight feeling of "seller's remorse" but no, it's ok, it was the right decision (for me at anyway) ... part of the sale could fund the 18mm ... tempting!

Lee

jonoslack

Hi Jono

Don't bother, you'd hate it! The camera is rubbish. Just trying to bring a sense of balance :) That rape field shot (and the others I shot at the same time) is possibly the best one of that type I have done with digital. My Pentaxes tended to underexpose ... like they were blinded by the stuff.

Yes, it can be hard can't it? Rain all day yesterday. More sun than showers today. Never enough time to get out and enjoy the camera(s). I am in the office too (clearly working hard!) but I guess without it I wouldn't be able to afford the camera(s).

Cheers
Lee
Hi Lee
I guess that's about it . . . I did manage to get out for an hour at lunchtime - some nice clouds.

You're doing a grand job with that camera - and getting great results. As for hating the camera . . . . I doubt it, but it definitely falls between the twin stools of my M9 and the NEX7.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Lee
I guess that's about it . . . I did manage to get out for an hour at lunchtime - some nice clouds.

You're doing a grand job with that camera - and getting great results. As for hating the camera . . . . I doubt it, but it definitely falls between the twin stools of my M9 and the NEX7.
But for those who don't have an M9 and can't afford one, the Fuji looks like a fantastic option. There's a "subjective goodness" over the images that is hard to explain but is very attractive nonetheless. I wish I could trade in my semi-dysfunctional S5 for this one.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>There's a "subjective goodness" over the images that is hard to explain but is very attractive nonetheless.

+1 and I am not a rangefinder person so the M9 is no option for me (besides the price).

V

Vivek

But for those who don't have an M9 and can't afford one, the Fuji looks like a fantastic option. There's a "subjective goodness" over the images that is hard to explain but is very attractive nonetheless. I wish I could trade in my semi-dysfunctional S5 for this one.
I am a range finder guy but M9 is not an option for me for various reasons, monetary reason isn't one though.

scho

This image was processed from a raw file in Silkypix with default parameter settings. Shot with XP1 and 35 1.4 at f/8. I downloaded the 30 day free trial of the latest version of SP (Mac) just to see what the raw files were like.

jonoslack

HI Jorgen
Absolutely - I don't deny it - the images look fine (which is why I'm looking :) )

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Jorgen
Absolutely - I don't deny it - the images look fine (which is why I'm looking :) )
I think it is not just for those who cannot afford (or are not willing to afford) an M9, but more also for those who prefer an a bit more modern camera compared to the M9, like the XP1 is - AF (even if slow it is better than NO AF and preferable at least for many to MF), much better high ISO capabilities, better handling of Moire, etc, etc.

V

Vivek

This image was processed from a raw file in Silkypix with default parameter settings. Shot with XP1 and 35 1.4 at f/8. I downloaded the 30 day free trial of the latest version of SP (Mac) just to see what the raw files were like.

Very nice, Carl!