Site Sponsors
Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

re: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

One last one from today with the CV15/4.5.....no crop....SOOC.

No magenta corners or color smearing.

R
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, that's great that 15 works so well, I am just waiting on my XP-1 arriving, and I have the CV15 (and an adaptor on order).

The camera was supposed to be here yesterday but the carrier didn't turn up and is trying again this morning, fingers crossed!

Edit: Camera + 35mm lens arrived, battery charging. Have updated the firmware as had enough charge in it.
    Looks very nice indeed.
    Last edited by Braeside; 12th May 2012 at 04:26. Reason: It arrived.
    David Anderson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Carl.......this photo made me feel happy.

R
    Happy you are happy Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    On that note, on to some content from this eve....

Ashwin, All are great, but I really liked the shot of the batters. Great timing.
    Fantastic colors in this image. Bravo, Carl!
    Thank you Ashwin.
    Ashwin......you always catch the best Husky sports shots.......Bravo!!

I'm a Husky too......(UConn )........how I ever ended up in Hawaii, I'll never know.
    R
    Me too Rich - UConn class of '59.
    A few from today with the 35. I have to figure out how to film bracket...the Velvia is pretty over the top at times.

I'm going to have to bug Carl again.....I tried to get close to these jpegs (but not so vibrant and saturated) using RPP, but they seemed flat.

I guess that's another discussion.

R
    These look great Rich. Try boosting saturation to 30 -40 in RPP.

R
    Great to see that the 15 is performing so well on the XP1. I need to dig mine out and give it a try.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Sorry, guys, but wee see photos of a content which should make us think and discuss or even do something. Whether or not a tool puts out technically good files is completely irrelevant in this context. Or did I missunderstand something?
    That is a constant reminder in the back of my mind before I pick up a camera which makes all my snaps, hmm..

I am going to look up every single post of yours here (only 365) to search for some inspirational images.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No magenta corners or color smearing.

R

Looking good, Rich!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice pictures you all !!! it's always a pleasure to come back and see the new pics posted !

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Last posting for a spell...got no reaction/response to last set...probably due to deja vue all over again...so I'll back off for a while and enjoy the work of others.

Here's a set from this AM's walk-around: 60/2.4 jpegs. Used the Velvia mode...like South Beach with the color. Tried the 90 Summicron R with Pro X adapter...like focusing through the bottom of a beer bottle.

Nice image compliments to Ashwin, Carl, Lee, Rich...waiting to see Jim Radcliffe's first Pro X output.
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:22.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Last posting for a spell...got no reaction/response to last set...probably due to deja vue all over again...so I'll back off for a while and enjoy the work of others.

Here's a set from this AM's walk-around: 60/2.4 jpegs. Used the Velvia mode...like South Beach with the color. Tried the 90 Summicron R with Pro X adapter...like focusing through the bottom of a beer bottle.

Nice image compliments to Ashwin, Carl, Lee, Rich...waiting to see Jim Radcliffe's first Pro X output.
    Roy,

Good subjects for Velvia. The second shot of the sign in particular really has nice velvia pop and good composition.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post

Thanks, Roy!

Hope Jim doesn't mind, but here are some pics and throughts of his of the XPro-1 from his site:

Fuji X-Pro1 Photography by Jim Radcliffe
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you have misunderstood...not sure if we are on the same page, and as I don't understand your comment or inquiry...sorry...
    Not to speak for retow or anything, but I think I understand what he's saying. The series of shots with the signs made of children in troubled homes have a highly emotional and social political message. I hoped that when we see images like that, they should first tug at our hearts to feel for the children, before they tickle our minds about the composition or color rendering. They did made me look up the organization behind those signs, so Ashwin your shots did "good" work. And BTW, great photos, too!
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Roy!

Hope Jim doesn't mind, but here are some pics and throughts of his of the XPro-1 from his site:

Fuji X-Pro1 Photography by Jim Radcliffe
    No problem, Ashwin.. I've been in class for the last week with not a single opportunity to get out and shoot.. I hate it when that happens. May have a chance this weekend to take a few shots.

So far I am amazed by the output of the X-Pro1 and the two lenses I own. The camera is fun to use and the icing on the cake is the amazing output. I love it and can't wait to pick up the 60mm to complete my set of lenses.

The X-Pro1 may be the only camera I take with me during my upcoming trip to California.. there is a part of me that says take the K5 and a couple of lenses but I may just leave everything at home and concentrate on using the X-Pro1.

I can honestly say that I have never owned a camera that has produced such amazing photos. That includes my M8 and my 5D and 5D MKII. I think the X-Pro1 beats them both on numerous levels and numerous ways.

The AF is slow but then 99% of what I shoot does not require super fast AF capabilities.

I am going to buy an M adapter and a Minolta adapter.. maybe even a K-Mount adpater.. I have so much glass and am truly thankful the X-Pro1 will be able to mount all of it... what a versatile camera it is.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Not to speak for retow or anything, but I think I understand what he's saying. The series of shots with the signs made of children in troubled homes have a highly emotional and social political message. I hoped that when we see images like that, they should first tug at our hearts to feel for the children, before they tickle our minds about the composition or color rendering. They did made me look up the organization behind those signs, so Ashwin your shots did "good" work. And BTW, great photos, too!
    Oh yes, now that clears it up. THanks, David....And yes, Retow, absolutely correct...

Sorry to anyone who may have judged the images or my commentary about gear in that context as insensitive in anyway. My thought was to bring light to the images and their local impact.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    No problem, Ashwin.. I've been in class for the last week with not a single opportunity to get out and shoot.. I hate it when that happens. May have a chance this weekend to take a few shots.

So far I am amazed by the output of the X-Pro1 and the two lenses I own. The camera is fun to use and the icing on the cake is the amazing output. I love it and can't wait to pick up the 60mm to complete my set of lenses.

The X-Pro1 may be the only camera I take with me during my upcoming trip to California.. there is a part of me that says take the K5 and a couple of lenses but I may just leave everything at home and concentrate on using the X-Pro1.

I can honestly say that I have never owned a camera that has produced such amazing photos. That includes my M8 and my 5D and 5D MKII. I think the X-Pro1 beats them both on numerous levels and numerous ways.

The AF is slow but then 99% of what I shoot does not require super fast AF capabilities.

I am going to buy an M adapter and a Minolta adapter.. maybe even a K-Mount adpater.. I have so much glass and am truly thankful the X-Pro1 will be able to mount all of it... what a versatile camera it is.

Jim, You will love the 60. It's a bit slow to focus, particularly in Macro mode, but is entirely useable and produced fantastic output. I have an M mount, K mount, and R mount adapter, and find manually focussing to be acceptable, more challenging the slower the glass one has...

I have tried a few captures with the 80 R summilux and 77FA and 31 FA lenses. Output is magical...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Jim,
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you get a chance to shoot some more.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The AUTO dynamic range feature in the XP1 really works well. It correctly picked 400 (ISO 800) for this rhody blossom that was partly in full sun and the rest in shade. Processed from raw in RPP where I also pulled up the shadows a little and held back the highlight a bit more using the compressed exposure and black point settings.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Many beautiful images in this thread! I like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, lovely bright images to be seen here

Ashwin, do you have the FA77 to try with your K mount adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Happy you are happy Rich
    It doesn't take much these days

Me too Rich - UConn class of '59.
    Class of '72..... Go Huskies

Try boosting saturation to 30 -40 in RPP.
    Carl....thanks AGAIN......here is a shot in RPP (35mm and AutoDR). RPP retained a lot of detail lost in the jpeg. Not the greatest picture....just illustrative of the detail available in RAW.

Here is a 1:1 crop......looks like it could stand alone actually.

So my question is.....how is it possible to have so little noise in these files (no noise reduction was applied)? I thought originally that there was some in-camera voodoo going on in the JPEG engine to suppress it, but it would show up in RAW.

I got rid of a Canon 7D because of noise at base ISO.....my GH2 has quite a bit too. So what's the deal?

R
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got rid of a Canon 7D because of noise at base ISO.....my GH2 has quite a bit too. So what's the deal?

R
    Now Rich, are you complaining?

My XPro-1 + 35mm showed up today -- too incendiary to go out this afternoon, but early tomorrow!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji People:

Brother Ashwin, Sean Reid, and this thread forced me to pick one of these up today. I'll add to the "Fun..." when I figure out which button to push.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    My XPro-1 + 35mm showed up today -- too incendiary to go out this afternoon,
    I think there is a film setting for quelling incendiary.......Ektachrome, if I recall......MUCH cooler.

(I lived in Tucson for a while decades ago......before air conditioning lol....the rear window on my Ford Pinto exploded and the dashboard melted)

R
    Last edited by Rich M; 13th May 2012 at 00:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All done in RPP, the first two with the ZM18/4 (no corner nonsense at all)....and the last two with the 35.

The Hawaiian version of the brick wall shot

Ya gotta LOVE this sensor.....(BTW.....self-portrait )

R
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So my question is.....how is it possible to have so little noise in these files (no noise reduction was applied)? I thought originally that there was some in-camera voodoo going on in the JPEG engine to suppress it, but it would show up in RAW.

R
    Just that pure, clear Hawaiian air Rich.
    All done in RPP, the first two with the ZM18/4 (no corner nonsense at all)....and the last two with the 35.

The Hawaiian version of the brick wall shot

R
    Great color and that ZM 18 seems to be performing beautifully on the XP1. I should have kept mine, but sold it awhile ago along with the M8.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich - good job on the self portrait!

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, can't wait to get the L adaptor for my XP-1 now!
    Lovely shots and processing.

I am completely lost with RPP, need to read the manual. I just pray that Aperture supports XP-1 soon, as that is my workflow normally.

Spent the day going through the manual and playing generally, because the weather has broken down totally, driving rain, plus I am at the tail end of really bad bout of man flu.

Looking forward to seeing more inspirational shots from you all.
    David Anderson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

XP1 with Konica AR 85mm f/1.8. Raw conversion in RPP using APX25 film emulation and subsequent split toning in LR4.

Original camera jpeg

Last edited by scho; 13th May 2012 at 08:52. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots everyone. A couple from me today with the 18mm, processed in RPP (with some sharpening added in LR). 1st one was using the K64 film simulation, the 2nd one using the RPP Velvia simulation, which is probably a little over the top!

To be honest, I am not really sure whether I prefer the OOC JPEGs or something like RPP. It will be interesting once LR supports the RAWs for another option. I have a feeling that, compared to RPP output, the JPEGs can look a little 'JPEGGY' at times but maybe I am looking too closely.

Lee
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

XP1 with Konica AR 85mm f/1.8. Raw conversion in RPP using APX25 film emulation and subsequent split toning in LR4.
    Carl - not sure of the processing on this one. It seems a little crunchy and I'm not sure what part of the processing did it. Do yo have the original jpeg?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Carl - not sure of the processing on this one. It seems a little crunchy and I'm not sure what part of the processing did it. Do yo have the original jpeg?
    You might be right Terry. The AXP25 transform is a bit harsh and I also may have over sharpened on top of that. Added camera jpeg to my post for comparison.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Great shots everyone. A couple from me today with the 18mm, processed in RPP (with some sharpening added in LR). 1st one was using the K64 film simulation, the 2nd one using the RPP Velvia simulation, which is probably a little over the top!

To be honest, I am not really sure whether I prefer the OOC JPEGs or something like RPP. It will be interesting once LR supports the RAWs for another option. I have a feeling that, compared to RPP output, the JPEGs can look a little 'JPEGGY' at times but maybe I am looking too closely.

Lee
    Nice Lee. I like the K64 version best.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Lee. I like the K64 version best.
    +1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might be right Terry. The AXP25 transform is a bit harsh and I also may have over sharpened on top of that. Added camera jpeg to my post for comparison.
    Yeah, I think I like the texture in the jpeg better.

Post Thanks / Like

This one was P160NC simulation in RPP. At first I didn't think I'd be able to get anywhere close to the Auto-DR JPEG rendering but with sone fiddling with the shadows sliders etc in LR it wasn't so hard.

The longer I spend peeping the pixels the more I am convinced that the default settings for OOC JPEGs give nice sharp straight lines but detail in bushes etc tend to go a bit mushy.

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The longer I spend peeping the pixels the more I am convinced that the default settings for OOC JPEGs give nice sharp straight lines but detail in bushes etc tend to go a bit mushy.

Lee
    When I first got the camera we didn't have any real RAW options and I didn't really concentrate on the DR settings. So, when you use Auto DR and the camera makes adjustments what happens in the RAW exposure.

I guess I can test this using the same scene at DR100 and then Auto DR or DR400 and compare the RAW and jpeg images from each setting.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got the camera we didn't have any real RAW options and I didn't really concentrate on the DR settings. So, when you use Auto DR and the camera makes adjustments what happens in the RAW exposure.

I guess I can test this using the same scene at DR100 and then Auto DR or DR400 and compare the RAW and jpeg images from each setting.
    Terry

Like the X100, the RAWs are effectively 'under exposed' by 1 stop for DR200 and 2 stops for DR400.

So, many of my auto-dr shots are very dark when opened in RPP. The same is true of X100 RAWs opened in LR - LR does not try to compensate, whilst Aperture and Silkypix do.

I am hopeful that when LR supports X-Pro 1 that it may also try to automatically compensate for the auto-dr.

The alternative is to shoot at DR100 and shoot like we always used to, preserving highlights by getting the exposure right and raising shadows in post. However, the auto-dr facility is just soooo convenient.

Lee
    Last edited by Sapphie; 13th May 2012 at 10:03.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics, Carl and Lee. Greens are very strong in the Velvia mode pics, aren't they?

Roy Benson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Accordian Player....XPro-1, color OOC JPEG's converted in LR4....35 Fujinon @ f/2ish

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Accordian Player....XPro-1, color OOC JPEG's converted in LR4....35 Fujinon @ f/2ish

Nice study Ashwin.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

got the 60mm in the mail last week. took it to shenandoah np fri and sat. it was a little too hazy for landscapes, but that was a good excuse to leave the 60mm on..

Last edited by scifitographer; 13th May 2012 at 14:32.
    website | 500px

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scifitographer View Post
    got the 60mm in the mail last week. took it to shenandoah np fri and sat. it was a little too hazy for landscapes, but that was a good excuse to leave the 60mm on..
    Nice B&W image of the false Hellebore. My favorite woodland plant.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lee
    Lee.......this has an idyllic feel to it.......very nice.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scifitographer View Post

Love the tonality of this shot.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks scho and terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may not be the classic "Zeiss pop".....but I'll take it.

ZM18

It's interesting......no sharpening in RPP or in LR4, but it certainly looks like sharpening was applied. Is it the lens?

R
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Today, was my first time out with my XPro-1. I shot this morning with only RAW output. Now, I'll have to figure out SilkyPix to see those.

Photos below were jpegs taken this evening.

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/90s @ f/8; ISO 1600

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/180s @ f/2.4; ISO 200

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/180s @ f/2.4; ISO 200

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/220s @ f/3.6; ISO 200

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/90s @ f/11; ISO 360

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/90s @ f/8; ISO 200

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/90s @ f/8; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll,zenfolio.com

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice shooting everyone.
    Lots of excellent photos since I last posted.
    XP1 autofocus could not keep up with ballerinas at rehearsal, but did fine in low light "no action" shots.
    Here are a few.

35 f/1/4 iso 1600

35 f/1/4 iso 1600

35 f/2.5 iso 3200
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Today, was my first time out with my XPro-1. I shot this morning with only RAW output. Now, I'll have to figure out SilkyPix to see those.

Photos below were jpegs taken this evening.

XPro-1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/90s @ f/8; ISO 1600

Matt......I like the reflections in this one....

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Smoking Camera View Post
    Nice shooting everyone.
    Lots of excellent photos since I last posted.
    XP1 autofocus could not keep up with ballerinas at rehearsal, but did fine in low light "no action" shots.
    Here are a few.
    These look really good. You did capture moments. What would have happened in you pre focused at that distance and switched over to manual focus? Think you could get action at all?
    Last edited by Terry; 14th May 2012 at 03:32.

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These look really good. You did capture moments. What would have happened in you pre fouled at that distance and switched over to manual focus? Think you could get action at all?
    Thanks Terry.
    I often zone focus for street shooting, but I wanted to see if autofocus worked here.
    Surprisingly, the camera did autofocus on the subject about half the time, it just took too long so there was no way to capture the moment.
    Your suggestion will more likely capture the moment, but I will have to improve my manual focus skills for it to work.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, they are great. Nice captures, brilliant color.