The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Terry

Re: Mine arrived this morning....

Shoes, handbags and jewelry usually work :grin:

The UPS guy arrived with a nice box from B&H this morning. First thing I did was charge both batteries.. after the first was charged I put it in the camera and mounted the 35mm (also bought the 18mm).. and then took the usual "shoot anything in sight" test shots.

The main thing I was testing for was focus and the XP1 was dead on in every shot I took, even those cluttered shots of items on my desk.

First impression is a very loud WOW! I think I have finally found the camera I wanted when I sold my M8. Hope to have pictures (not test shots) shortly both here and on my website.

I hate to use the phrase "Love at first sight.".. but that is what I am feeling at the moment. I will install the new firmware tonight and begin to seriously use the XP1. I'm sure my K5 will be jealous but it will not be forgotten as there are things it can do (with the DA* wide & tele zooms) that the Fuji is not capable of at this time.

The only thing I dread is the look I will get from my wife when I bring the camera home.. she'll get over it.. I hope.

I'm a happy man today.. Thanks Fuji!

Re: Mine arrived this morning....

Shoes, handbags and jewelry usually work :grin:
Her birthday is Thursday... must make it a good one or suffer the wrath of "She who must be obeyed".... right now I know she thinks I have forgotten it as I usually hound her about what she might like for her birthday.. this year I have not mentioned it at all.

monza

Diglloyd as he terminates his X-Pro1 review:

"It [X-Pro1] has some fine qualities, but it is simply too frustrating to work with its images, not one of which has anything approaching the sharpness of what should be there with a 16MP camera."

Maybe he should take a look at this thread...

Terry

Or he had too many other toys in the chest right now with D4, D800, D800E, 5DmkIII, and coming soon a new 1D.

retow

I see a lot of convincing work with the X-Pro1 on this forum and a lot of chatter on other fora and blogs about its shortcomings. Interesting ;).

PenSon

Very nice flower pictures here now.
Have try the 60mm macro with the aperture at 2.4 after FW update.
Quit fast to focus on the object for a macro lens.;)
So one flower at the green in my garden.

and a small fly on the flower

Trygve

Last edited:

scho

Checking out the C/Y Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 Distagon on the XP1 with Kipon adapter. Much better performance compared to CV M and Contax G 28s, with no corner/edge smearing or magenta/cyan vignetting. Only negative is relatively large size with adapter mounted.

f/2.8 sample

f/5.6 sample

momo

what about white balance with jpegs?

lots of great images here, really nice color, detail...i have a question about jpeg white balance and making corrections...

i mean many are saying the jpeg's are so good you might not bother with raw, they do look great...i wonder, if you shoot 'daylight' setting by accident in a cafe or at home under whatever kinda artificial lighting, how good is it re-adjusting color with the jpeg?...i mean is it easy to re-adjust the color?...anyone have any examples of say outdoor shots accidentally shot using fluorescent or tungsten and what they look like when you warm 'em up?...

I ask 'cause i just about always shoot raw with my dslr, leave the setting at pre or whatever, and can always pretty easily adjust color to suit the environment...with my old canon point 'n' shoot that only does jpeg, color shifts can often look like crap...

thanks...

dhsimmonds

Re: what about white balance with jpegs?

lots of great images here, really nice color, detail...i have a question about jpeg white balance and making corrections...

i mean many are saying the jpeg's are so good you might not bother with raw, they do look great...i wonder, if you shoot 'daylight' setting by accident in a cafe or at home under whatever kinda artificial lighting, how good is it re-adjusting color with the jpeg?...i mean is it easy to re-adjust the color?...anyone have any examples of say outdoor shots accidentally shot using fluorescent or tungsten and what they look like when you warm 'em up?...

I ask 'cause i just about always shoot raw with my dslr, leave the setting at pre or whatever, and can always pretty easily adjust color to suit the environment...with my old canon point 'n' shoot that only does jpeg, color shifts can often look like crap...
thanks...
I always shoot Raw + Jpeg 9 (fine) and set the camera up to auto white balance. It does a great job 99% of the time with the Jpeg, but those very odd times when the white balance is really difficult (church interiors with mixtures of daylight, fluorescent and tungsten lights for example), I always have the RAW to fall back on.

It is often the case that it is also that image also needs some substantial exposure correction too, when once again the Raw file is extremely useful!

S

sebasco

Hi Folks,

Just spent Tuesday afternoon shooting in beautiful and hectic NYC. I took a workshop class from Markus Hartel, one of my favorite street photographer's, as I am usually very shy about getting close to those I am shooting. Markus had great tips and by the end of the 3 hour workshop, I was feeling much more confident.

All were taken with the 18mm lens using the Neg Pro H film simulation, given there is no raw conveyer other than Silkypix, with color and sharpness at +1.

The first was taken serendipitously as I just looked up and I said to myself 'snap."

In the second photo, I noticed and loved the image I saw through the glass and then this gent walked right next to it. I moved to get closer to him something I would normally be averse to do and took the image.

With the third photo, I just moved very close to her as I loved her look and as I was taking the photo she noticed me and gave me the look you see.

The final photo is of a woman shooting video on 47th Street with an iPad. I loved the expression on her face so... there you have it.

Hope I've given some good samples of how the x pro 1 can be used as a street photography tool.

Any feedback & critique is always appreciated.

momo

Re: what about white balance with jpegs?

I always shoot Raw + Jpeg 9 (fine) and set the camera up to auto white balance. It does a great job 99% of the time with the Jpeg, but those very odd times when the white balance is really difficult (church interiors with mixtures of daylight, fluorescent and tungsten lights for example), I always have the RAW to fall back on.

It is often the case that it is also that image also needs some substantial exposure correction too, when once again the Raw file is extremely useful!
Ok, thanks Dave...