The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

scho

A very hot day, but it was cool and lush down in the gorge. The sunlight coming through the canopy and reflecting off the water made everything look green. XP1 with 35 1.4.

Rich M

Carl,

David is absolutely correct. This is a beautiful shot. I remember some of your gorge shots from years past, and while all were beautiful, it seemed that the conditions were difficult (mainly DR) which made the photographic capture challenging.

How do you compare the XP1 under these conditions to cameras you have used before?

R

scho

That's a beauty Carl.
Thanks David.
Carl,

David is absolutely correct. This is a beautiful shot. I remember some of your gorge shots from years past, and while all were beautiful, it seemed that the conditions were difficult (mainly DR) which made the photographic capture challenging.

How do you compare the XP1 under these conditions to cameras you have used before?

R
Thanks Rich. Today I forgot to bring a ND filter which would have been useful. I wonder why Fuji did not include the built-in, as with the X100? Here is the same scene shot last year with the X100 (with ND filter ON) about a month later in the season (gets warmer earlier every year). I prefer shooting in the gorge when it is overcast and I don't have to deal with harsh lighting. It is only 5 min from my house, so I can keep trying until I get it right.

Terry

Carl, I prefer this second one from the X100. I know we are in spring with insane greens but it seems like the rocks in the one with the x-pro1 are picking quite a green cast.

scho

Carl, I prefer this second one from the X100. I know we are in spring with insane greens but it seems like the rocks in the one with the x-pro1 are picking quite a green cast.
Terry, I also prefer the X100 shot, for the softer lighting. Most of the green cast in the XP1 shot was from the light coming through and reflecting off the lush foliage, but also quite a bit more green moss and algae growth on the rocks.

ashwinrao1

hi Ashwin,
so howou get along with the XP1 vs the M9.
Besides the "new camera" factor, when would you use which camera and how much overlap you find between the two?
Regards, Tom
Hi Tom,
Great question. I find that the experience of shooting RF vs XPro-1 is differen, and in that manner, there is a separation. however, the form factor, the way of seeing (especially with optical VF), and how the camera encourages the RF way of seeing makes the overlap more substantial than one may initially be led to believe. I would never been without my M9, but the XPro-1 is a fantastic option for AF or when AF is needed, or when better ISO or closer focus is desired.

scho

Carl, I really dig this shot, and how the water "flows"...makes me wanna jump in ;)
Thanks Ashwin. That happens to a lot of people who come to escape the heat, but the park rangers don't like people wandering off the gorge trail and they can levy hefty fines if they catch you in the creek.:shocked:
Looks like you got it right here...seems to call for a wider format...16x9?
Bob
Thanks Bob, yes wider would work as well as stitching, which I did from 2 images in the XP1 version.

johnnygoesdigital

scho,

I know that area too, beautiful! Lots of vineyards and waterfalls. The Xpro 1, is surprisingly fast and contemplative. What is it about rangefinders! The 35mm f1.4 is stunning...I'm bonding with my gear:) Here's a photograph of my neighborhood.

I'm looking forward to shooting with strobes and the 60mm!

It's a small pic, but if you click on the image it has better resolution. There some big photo's here!

Last edited:

Sapphie

After a cold start to the year we suddenly have high summer temperatures in the UK. Today was very breezy too, so not the best conditions for any 'botanical' shots with the 60mm lens. Unusually for me I tried using the camera at DR100 rather than auto-DR and tried adjusting exposure compensation to suit. These are all OOC Jpegs apart from any cropping and some minor highlight adjustments in LR. I do wish we can set our own min shutter speed for use with auto-ISO.

Lee

Paratom

A few from around Seattle this eve...

Hyperprime T 95
The images do look really special Ashwin.
Not just the shallow dof-effect, but also color and transitions.
By the way since I got it about 2-3 months ago the Noctilux is my favorite lenns on the M9. I find there are quite some similarities in the color and overall rendering between those 2 lenses from what I see here.
Tom

Gbealnz

Gary: I am. I just got the 35mm f/1.4 today! Now, if Adobe would just get ACR conversion for it.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
Matt,
Oh boy if you like the 60, you'll absolutely love the 35, it is stunning.
And I'm in ageement with you on ACR, it is way overdue, and the longer it is delayed, the more I am getting to grips with the supplied software. If it means also a requirement to upgrade from LR3.6 then I may throw my toys completely out of the pram.
Gary