The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>An intriguing camera, but not sure if it is for me though.

Only you can answer that question.

By the way it turns out that using 45-55mm fixed focal length for our work is great (DP2M 30mm and X-Pro1 35mm).

Note: gave my 18mm back.

18mm & X-Pro1 go to the State Fair of Texas

A friend an I took the train into Fair Park in Dallas for the State Fair of Texas last night. I took a lot of shots but was to beaten down today to work on them save this one.. which for some reason really appeals to me.

Thursday nights at the State Fair are slow.. and therefore they have made it Senior Night.. lots of gray hair their and as both my friend and I have more than enough gray.. we got in free for Senior Night. That was a savings of $16 each... you gotta love old age.... Needless to say the midway was more than a bit sparse in human activity.. lots of walkers and wheel chairs and scooters were milling about but we managed to avoid being hit by any of them... anyway, I like it when the fair is a bit deserted.. so here is the one shot I have worked on so far from that outing.

This was taken using the X-Pro1 and the 18mm. I find the 18mm to work quite well for the things I like to shoot.

B&W from today

Spent the day chasing trains in East Texas. This was taken at the depot in Palestine, Texas. I've had a love for steam trains since I was a kid. Rode one from LaCrosse, VA to Chester, SC with my Aunt and Grandmother to visit relatives. I will never forget it. The sounds, hissing steam, that lonesome whistle in the night, the smell of burning coal, the motion of the cars and so much more.. all echos from another time. Seeing this old locomotive today brought back a lot of memories. You can read more about the Texas State Railroad here.

Fuji X-Pro1 and 18mm ISO 800 f/8 1/200s. Post in Photoshop CS6.

Braeside

Jim, yes, I also miss the old steam trains. When I went to school we still had steam running in Scotland, and later I remember going round the scrap yards seeing the old steam engines being scrapped, very sad when they were all gone. There are still a few running from Rail Preservation societies though. The preserved ones are in much better condition than the dirty black ones I remember running in the 60's.

Jim, yes, I also miss the old steam trains. When I went to school we still had steam running in Scotland, and later I remember going round the scrap yards seeing the old steam engines being scrapped, very sad when they were all gone. There are still a few running from Rail Preservation societies though. The preserved ones are in much better condition than the dirty black ones I remember running in the 60's.
David, it is sad that these beautiful old locomotives ended up on the scrap heap.. no vision for future generations at all... just salvage and profit.

Here is one more I took from where a country road crosses the tracks in the Piney Woods of Texas. Note the railroad ties stacked on the siding. The tracks somewhat parallel the main road between Palestine and Rusk, Texas.. so we would leapfrog ahead of the train, find a country road that crossed the tracks and wait for it. We did this about four times.. resulting in a number of different backgrounds and angles... so I spent my Saturday "Chasing a Train".