The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

etrigan63

Carlos, Yes Hoya IR filter and I use Nik Silver Efex Pro plugin in Aperture for PP. Most shots are from the ooc JPG.
I generally use ISO 400, F4 which gives a shutter speed of around a second, (other apertures on the 18mm give more of a noticeable hotspot) so needs a tripod or steady place to put the camera. As I use the JPGs I do manually adjust the WB in the camera. AF works fine.
That would be a Hoya 92 filter?

Lloyd

Another from the Kirtland Historic District, Kirtland, Ohio.

I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in the overall sharpness I'm getting from the 18mm in landscape shots, even stopped down. I actually processed this one to a Tiff in SilkyPix (which is about as fun as having a root canal!), and then finished it up on Lightroom. The leaves and detail in the distance look painted. Jim seems to be getting impressive sharpness and detail in his landscape shots. Which I could find that in mine. Suggestions are welcome.

18mm f11:

Braeside

Like number 2 most Lloyd.

Regarding the 18mm it isn't the sharpest in the corners, I usually shoot at f5.6 to f8.
I use JPG most of the time, but best results have been from raw processed files done with Photoraw on the iPad! Other raw processors either have that painterly effect on foliage or have artefacts on edges.

Looking forward to the 14mm Fuji lens, and some better raw processors.

Lloyd

David: Thanks for the insights. The softness and painterly effects I'm seeing are in the center of the images. I haven't really looked at the corners that much. Ironically, a couple of images I shot with the 18mm last week were picked up by a magazine. Go figure. And I'm with you, I'm looking forward to a better raw processor.

Steve: I agree, it is warmer. I guess I could match them. However, my concern is that even the SiklyPix processed image has the painterly effects/artifacts, albeit there are less of them.

Braeside

David: Thanks for the insights. The softness and painterly effects I'm seeing are in the center of the images. I haven't really looked at the corners that much. Ironically, a couple of images I shot with the 18mm last week were picked up by a magazine. Go figure. And I'm with you, I'm looking forward to a better raw processor.

Steve: I agree, it is warmer. I guess I could match them. However, my concern is that even the SiklyPix processed image has the painterly effects/artifacts, albeit there are less of them.
The painterly effects I get with some raw processing is all over the image, but is dependent on the type of image. Very fine natural details like foliage show it the most. It isn't much of a concern at normal screen sizes for me.

Congrats on the magazine images.

The artefacts I get with other processors like RPP are again image dependent and show up on straight edges and highlights in water. I seem to have a knack at taking images that have these kind of things.

Saying all that I am happy with the JPGs for most things.

sjg284

Congrats on the magazine!

I've yet to shoot the right kind of subject matter to really bring out the strange processing artifacts... but I've shot near-zero landscapes..

Braeside

Hello ,
I`m new member and testing one upload

Welcome and nice image to start with. :clap:

I managed to get out and take a few shots this morning between showers. At a market I was approached by another photographer who was curious to know about the X-Pro 1 camera.

The guy that was demonstrating this HiFi record deck was also intrigued by the XP-1.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Congrats on the magazine!

I've yet to shoot the right kind of subject matter to really bring out the strange processing artifacts... but I've shot near-zero landscapes..
Thanks Steve. Most things I've shot with the 18, other than landscapes have been okay. (BTW, the two shots that made the mag. were not landscapes.)