Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 91 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

re: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Thanks everyone. I've bonded with this camera and while I'm still learning it I just love using it.

So, what I liked about the M8 was the form factor, size, simple direct controls, aperture on the lens. What I didn't like was no close focus, my ability to nail focus at moderate (like one or two meters) distances.

Why the Fuji "'speaks" to me. I feel like I have the best of all worlds:
    Optical viewfinder experience
    EVF for tricky situations, macro, longer lens and finally
    LCD live view shooting for odd angles where looking through the viewfinder is impossible or not practical.

Last edited by Terry; 21st April 2012 at 22:33.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, your shots are the first ones I see from this camera showing what it can do the M9 clearly can't and what I consider more relevant than the high iso thing most are raving about. Looking very impressive, indeed and dangerous to my bank account. If performance with m-lenses will be good and focus peaking introduced, the X1 Pro could be a serious contender to the M9, crop factor or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post

Or how about the 60mm (90mm equivalent) ?

Lee
    That is a seriously good photograph but it is also entirely reminiscent of the Leica Elmarit M 90/2.8. One of the few lenses that keeps me loyal to Leica, btw.

Fuji really deserve some credit for that sort of sharpness and contrast control.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    That is a seriously good photograph but it is also entirely reminiscent of the Leica Elmarit M 90/2.8. One of the few lenses that keeps me loyal to Leica, btw.

Fuji really deserve some credit for that sort of sharpness and contrast control.

LouisB
    Thanks Louis. Well, all down to the lens really! As well as the square crop, I did move the blacks slider to the left and the whites to the right but that was the only PP.

Sharpening was left on the camera default. The picture can actually take a little extra sharpening in LR, though.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

It keeps raining so no outings today (maybe later!) but the iris is looking lovely indoors:

60mm, Provia, NR -2, ISO 400, f/8, manual focus, tripod, 2 sec timer. SOOC JPEG apart from a slight crop.

Lee
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    It keeps raining so no outings today (maybe later!) but the iris is looking lovely indoors:

60mm, Provia, NR -2, ISO 400, f/8, manual focus, tripod, 2 sec timer. SOOC JPEG apart from a slight crop.

Lee
    Gorgeous! You are making it very difficult for me to put off getting that 60mm.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Gorgeous! You are making it very difficult for me to put off getting that 60mm.
    Carl,

I don't normally 'do' macro but this lens is lovely. I don't want to encourage anybody ... I sort of 'forgot' that it is a macro lens so I had another go. This time I used AF-S and f/11. Slight crop.

Lee
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, one more, sorry! BTW I just learned that when in manual focus mode, you can select the area that is used when pressing the magnify button and is also used by the AEL/AFL button to do the initial AF. You do this by pressing AF button on the left, moving the area to the desired position and then pressing AF again.

I don't think I have had so much fun with a camera for a while ...

Lee
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's with all the macros? I like them too, but lets see more portraits. thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been reading up on some of the forums and I'm seeing two different approaches to faster low light AF performance. Both different. Anyone tried.....

1)AFC
    2)AFS but don't stop at half press and wait for focus. Just do a complete full press.

.....thoughts?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    What's with all the macros? I like them too, but lets see more portraits. thanks
    I have no willing subjects

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

When I used a camera back in late Feb, I found I preferred AFC mode.

I think I could be happy with just the 35/1.4...wonderful photos in this thread!

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Portraits? You have been viewing some very fine botanical portraits, courtesy to Terry and Lee.

Sunday morning walk around after a stormy night...jpegs...35/1.4 / Pro-X1, and without apology, includes some botanical portraits.
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    You are right. I need to get that 60mm 'portrait/macro' lens pointing at my beloved cat! You have been warned, LOL!

Lee

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    All from the Ferry Plaza market this AM

The straight out of the camera jpeg color is just wonderful.

All with the 35 f1.4 some in macro mode. This camera/lens combo is a dream for me.
    Terry,
    Thanks for posting these beautiful picture. What ISO did you use and is it possible post a 100 percent crop from one of those images. How different is using manual lenses on X1 Pro than Nex7.
    _______
    Manouch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Manouch -

I don't have the images on the computer I'm currently working on, but can make some additional crops later. I have not used any manual lenses on the Fuji. I don't have any adapters. The only lenses I have to use are Contax G 35 and 45 and the Fuji 35 is so good there was no real reason for me to want to adapt.

The ISOs were different. All were at ISO 200 except:

Purple orchid - 640
    chocolate - 400
    cheese - 1600

This first shot is a crop from the second.

terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot Terry.
    _______
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like

All from the Ferry Plaza market this AM

The straight out of the camera jpeg color is just wonderful.

All with the 35 f1.4 some in macro mode. This camera/lens combo is a dream for me.
    Terry,

I especially like the cheese and the chocolate shots - so incredibly clear!

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

>so incredibly clear

Clear is the word.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

35/1.4 / Pro X1: all jpegs
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face re: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Nice tones and shadow detail. Did you use the auto dynamic range setting?
    Nope Carl, though I have enabled it now and I'm taking it for another spin today.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one from the 18mm the other day. Post in Lightroom/SEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

these shots make me want the X Pro 1 even more. Seems this camera together with the 35 has hit your sweet spot

Really enjoy your images!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One Mirror upside down with the 18mm lens.

Trygve
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrived this morning....

The UPS guy arrived with a nice box from B&H this morning. First thing I did was charge both batteries.. after the first was charged I put it in the camera and mounted the 35mm (also bought the 18mm).. and then took the usual "shoot anything in sight" test shots.

The main thing I was testing for was focus and the XP1 was dead on in every shot I took, even those cluttered shots of items on my desk.

First impression is a very loud WOW! I think I have finally found the camera I wanted when I sold my M8. Hope to have pictures (not test shots) shortly both here and on my website.

I hate to use the phrase "Love at first sight.".. but that is what I am feeling at the moment. I will install the new firmware tonight and begin to seriously use the XP1. I'm sure my K5 will be jealous but it will not be forgotten as there are things it can do (with the DA* wide & tele zooms) that the Fuji is not capable of at this time.

The only thing I dread is the look I will get from my wife when I bring the camera home.. she'll get over it.. I hope.

I'm a happy man today.. Thanks Fuji!
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mine arrived this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    The UPS guy arrived with a nice box from B&H this morning. First thing I did was charge both batteries.. after the first was charged I put it in the camera and mounted the 35mm (also bought the 18mm).. and then took the usual "shoot anything in sight" test shots.

The main thing I was testing for was focus and the XP1 was dead on in every shot I took, even those cluttered shots of items on my desk.

First impression is a very loud WOW! I think I have finally found the camera I wanted when I sold my M8. Hope to have pictures (not test shots) shortly both here and on my website.

I hate to use the phrase "Love at first sight.".. but that is what I am feeling at the moment. I will install the new firmware tonight and begin to seriously use the XP1. I'm sure my K5 will be jealous but it will not be forgotten as there are things it can do (with the DA* wide & tele zooms) that the Fuji is not capable of at this time.

The only thing I dread is the look I will get from my wife when I bring the camera home.. she'll get over it.. I hope.

Congratulations Jim! A fun camera to use and I look forward to seeing your work with the XP1.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another convert to the fold! Welcome aboard, Jim. Looking forward to seeing your images from this camera.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

What have you done? Another convert, say bye-bye to the K5 :-)

Lee

Markus

Finally took the plunge and bought one last weekend. Finally a worthy replacement for my trusty Panasonic L1.
    Fuji thankfully released the first firmware update today and addressed the annoying lens chatter sound today (sounded like the smoke monster from Lost, sort of).
    My only minor complaints so far:
    - the LED which indicates sd card access is very disturbing (especially under dark conditions) and placed too close to the viewfinder
    - focus could be faster but is very accurate though
    - SD card access is too fiddly (a dedicated sd card compartment and dual card suppprt would be cool for the Pro 2)
    - battery life could be better
    - no Lightroom support.

Despite of those minor complaints the camera is a real pleasure to use and the image quality is right on the spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Must resist, must resist ...

Lovely images all, and I have enjoyed reading all about it.

Need to have a good think about this.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shoes, handbags and jewelry usually work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shoes, handbags and jewelry usually work
    Her birthday is Thursday... must make it a good one or suffer the wrath of "She who must be obeyed".... right now I know she thinks I have forgotten it as I usually hound her about what she might like for her birthday.. this year I have not mentioned it at all.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, hope to see your first images soon.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Diglloyd as he terminates his X-Pro1 review:

"It [X-Pro1] has some fine qualities, but it is simply too frustrating to work with its images, not one of which has anything approaching the sharpness of what should be there with a 16MP camera."

Maybe he should take a look at this thread...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or he had too many other toys in the chest right now with D4, D800, D800E, 5DmkIII, and coming soon a new 1D.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of convincing work with the X-Pro1 on this forum and a lot of chatter on other fora and blogs about its shortcomings. Interesting .

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Jolly; 25th April 2012 at 03:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice flower pictures here now.
    Have try the 60mm macro with the aperture at 2.4 after FW update.
    Quit fast to focus on the object for a macro lens.
    So one flower at the green in my garden.

and a small fly on the flower

Trygve
    Last edited by PenSon; 25th April 2012 at 08:27.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Checking out the C/Y Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 Distagon on the XP1 with Kipon adapter. Much better performance compared to CV M and Contax G 28s, with no corner/edge smearing or magenta/cyan vignetting. Only negative is relatively large size with adapter mounted.

f/2.8 sample

f/5.6 sample

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still getting used to the X-Pro1, but what better time to experiment and play than before diner...

simonmccurdy.ca

Post Thanks / Like

what about white balance with jpegs?

lots of great images here, really nice color, detail...i have a question about jpeg white balance and making corrections...

i mean many are saying the jpeg's are so good you might not bother with raw, they do look great...i wonder, if you shoot 'daylight' setting by accident in a cafe or at home under whatever kinda artificial lighting, how good is it re-adjusting color with the jpeg?...i mean is it easy to re-adjust the color?...anyone have any examples of say outdoor shots accidentally shot using fluorescent or tungsten and what they look like when you warm 'em up?...

I ask 'cause i just about always shoot raw with my dslr, leave the setting at pre or whatever, and can always pretty easily adjust color to suit the environment...with my old canon point 'n' shoot that only does jpeg, color shifts can often look like crap...

thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: what about white balance with jpegs?

Quote Originally Posted by momo View Post
    lots of great images here, really nice color, detail...i have a question about jpeg white balance and making corrections...

i mean many are saying the jpeg's are so good you might not bother with raw, they do look great...i wonder, if you shoot 'daylight' setting by accident in a cafe or at home under whatever kinda artificial lighting, how good is it re-adjusting color with the jpeg?...i mean is it easy to re-adjust the color?...anyone have any examples of say outdoor shots accidentally shot using fluorescent or tungsten and what they look like when you warm 'em up?...

I ask 'cause i just about always shoot raw with my dslr, leave the setting at pre or whatever, and can always pretty easily adjust color to suit the environment...with my old canon point 'n' shoot that only does jpeg, color shifts can often look like crap...
    thanks...
    I always shoot Raw + Jpeg 9 (fine) and set the camera up to auto white balance. It does a great job 99% of the time with the Jpeg, but those very odd times when the white balance is really difficult (church interiors with mixtures of daylight, fluorescent and tungsten lights for example), I always have the RAW to fall back on.

It is often the case that it is also that image also needs some substantial exposure correction too, when once again the Raw file is extremely useful!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

sebasco

Hi Folks,

Just spent Tuesday afternoon shooting in beautiful and hectic NYC. I took a workshop class from Markus Hartel, one of my favorite street photographer's, as I am usually very shy about getting close to those I am shooting. Markus had great tips and by the end of the 3 hour workshop, I was feeling much more confident.

All were taken with the 18mm lens using the Neg Pro H film simulation, given there is no raw conveyer other than Silkypix, with color and sharpness at +1.

The first was taken serendipitously as I just looked up and I said to myself 'snap."

In the second photo, I noticed and loved the image I saw through the glass and then this gent walked right next to it. I moved to get closer to him something I would normally be averse to do and took the image.

With the third photo, I just moved very close to her as I loved her look and as I was taking the photo she noticed me and gave me the look you see.

The final photo is of a woman shooting video on 47th Street with an iPad. I loved the expression on her face so... there you have it.

Hope I've given some good samples of how the x pro 1 can be used as a street photography tool.

Any feedback & critique is always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Some spring garden flowers taken with the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar+XP1.

I really love these pictures

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    I really love these pictures
    Thank you Jolly. Glad you enjoyed them.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried ZM 18, 25, 35 lenses on the XP1? - Would be interested in how they did. Thanks!
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what about white balance with jpegs?

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I always shoot Raw + Jpeg 9 (fine) and set the camera up to auto white balance. It does a great job 99% of the time with the Jpeg, but those very odd times when the white balance is really difficult (church interiors with mixtures of daylight, fluorescent and tungsten lights for example), I always have the RAW to fall back on.

It is often the case that it is also that image also needs some substantial exposure correction too, when once again the Raw file is extremely useful!
    Ok, thanks Dave...

Post Thanks / Like

The Royal Cremation Site of Thailand's late Princess

A bit heavy hands on color. Comments are more than welcome.

[IMG]
    _4220059 by teera_ash, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _DSF8530 by teera_ash, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _DSF8535 by teera_ash, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _DSF8495-Edit-2 by teera_ash, on Flickr[/IMG]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Teera - wow. Incredible detail. Color seems to suit the shots. Nice!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Royal Cremation Site of Thailand's late Princess

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    A bit heavy hands on color. Comments are more than welcome.
    Gorgeous colors and intricate detail beautifully captured.
    Carl
    Gallery