Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Post Thanks / Like

re: Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Interesting. What did you do to the colors.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There are some fantastic images in this thread. I hope to join in soon...if I'm worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry, scho and ustein. I edited mostly with LR basic functions. Except this one which seems a bit bland so I added skylight filter and tonal contrast from a demo color efex pro 4.
    At iso 2500, no noise reduction in pp.

[IMG]
    _DSF8539-Edit by teera_ash, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by teeraash; 27th April 2012 at 20:34.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Diglloyd as he terminates his X-Pro1 review:

"It [X-Pro1] has some fine qualities, but it is simply too frustrating to work with its images, not one of which has anything approaching the sharpness of what should be there with a 16MP camera."

Maybe he should take a look at this thread...
    Looks like he unterminated the review...and edited his previous post without acknowledging the previous termination. Not helping his reputation on certain forums....

And this: "The Fuji X-Pro1 pixel quality at ISO 200 is extremely impressive. I deem it superior to the full-frame Canon 5D Mark III at ISO 100." Not bad for sharpness unbecoming of a 16MP camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Teera - wow. Incredible detail. Color seems to suit the shots. Nice!
    Agree! Here you need that color!

Lovely, Teerash!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like he unterminated the review...and edited his previous post without acknowledging the previous termination. Not helping his reputation on certain forums....

And this: "The Fuji X-Pro1 pixel quality at ISO 200 is extremely impressive. I deem it superior to the full-frame Canon 5D Mark III at ISO 100."
    Where did he post ?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

diglloyd.com blog - Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review

That's the link to the unterminated review; here is a list of other blog posts:

diglloyd - Blog Index

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the links, Robert.

It is interesting that people would pay real money to read such things with hypotheses and conjectures.

Post Thanks / Like

Diglloyd as he terminates his X-Pro1 review:

"It [X-Pro1] has some fine qualities, but it is simply too frustrating to work with its images, not one of which has anything approaching the sharpness of what should be there with a 16MP camera."

Maybe he should take a look at this thread...
    Well I'm sure Mr. Lloyd knows his stuff, but I've been very impressed with the images shown here. Yeah, we are all waiting for RAW file support from Adobe, Capture One and so forth to discover what the quality of the RAW files really look like. I just wish Capture One supported camera profiles made with ColorChecker and that Fuji and other camera manufacturers could support DNG format like Leica and Pentax; we could then use a common metric for RAW IQ comparison.

Loyd points out that the body plus 3 lenses is expensive, but for a poor man the X Pro1 system is attainable for a digital rangefinder style camera, unlike Leica products.

To be honest I'm still on the fence waiting to see wait the OMD tests like in the field but I'm strongly attracted to the X Pro 1 for a potent light kit for travel.

Too many cameras, too little time ...
    Last edited by donbga; 28th April 2012 at 14:33. Reason: Typos

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Robert, Have you seen Ken Rockwell's review? He thinks the AF is far better than Leica's?

Oh, he too notes the price as well. That was a revelation. :-)

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    Thanks Terry, scho and ustein. I edited mostly with LR basic functions. Except this one which seems a bit bland so I added skylight filter and tonal contrast from a demo color efex pro 4.
    At iso 2500, no noise reduction in pp.
    Wow... excellent! Which temple is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jorgen,
    It was the cremation site of the late Princess at Sanam Luang (in front of the Emerald Buddha Temple).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One with the 60 macro. This flower is less than 1" in size

f5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also got a vario ND to do some wide open outdoor shots. Need to do some more work and see what sort of hood I can use looks like you can easily get reflections or glare with it.

All sitting outside at breakfast....

This one is OK but again I want to test without filter, straight single filter and then vario ND...little bit of texture in the OOF highlights.

Turned slightly to the right and bam! not good.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And this: "The Fuji X-Pro1 pixel quality at ISO 200 is extremely impressive. I deem it superior to the full-frame Canon 5D Mark III at ISO 100." Not bad for sharpness unbecoming of a 16MP camera.
    I respect Lloyd Chamber's reviews (I'm a subscriber too) but sometimes there's an element of KR in them ...

I have to say that the Fuji X-Pro1 is quite simply a stunning camera system so long as you appreciate that it isn't a Leica M9 and nor will it ever be. However, the images I'm seeing from my camera & 18/35 lenses are outstanding in colour, acuity and overall look - and that's just the jpgs!

If there's an Achilles heel it's with the RAW converter support. I understand why given the new non-bayer colour pattern and I'm sure that it'll be sorted out soon. In the meantime I'm happy to shoot jpg fine & raw and for the most part the jpgs are all I need.
    Ylem ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom support is coming. This is on the Adobe site

NOTE: The Lightroom and Camera Raw team is well aware of the new X-Pro1 camera from FUJIFILM. We are currently developing raw support for the X-Pro1 and look forward to providing it as soon as support is complete. Thanks for your patience on this topic.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely no concerns about the support coming ... If anything I'm blown away by the jpgs.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I succumbed. It was only a matter of time. I picked up the camera this afternoon and after charging the battery, headed to the North Shore to catch sunset.

The first two shots are A-A (auto). I thought it would be a little smarter; f/16, 1/1200, 800 ISO.

I drove a little bit farther and as I pulled into the last place to park before Kaena Point, this group flagged me down and asked if I would take their picture with their iPhones (they were visiting from Oz). Of course, I obliged and took a shot of my own.

Shot in A-priority....Wide open, 1/150, 200 ISO

I am loving it.

A shout out to Carl who I pestered with PM's and Terry too. (Terry your podcast on SeriousCompacts was cool).
    Thanks for Lee, PenSon, ReeRay, teeraash, Roy Benson and all the others showing their great pics.

And a BIG mahalo to bigkidneys (Jason T) who I've had a running text message convo going for the last several weeks. He has been shooting the XP1 in New Orleans this weekend (between cigars, beer and binets). Expecting some great posts from him as soon as he gets to a computer.

R
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    Would it be practical to use the X-Pro 1 as a square format camera with the CV12 lens? if you shoot in 1:1 format with the CV12 or other non-Fuji lens (via an adapter), will the the EVF show square frame lines?
    I had missed the fact that the X-Pro 1 offers square format - really good feature. You get square frame lines in the OVF (though I don't know how accurate they would be) and the EVF shows a square. Can't say for non native lenses, though I imagine the EVF at least would show a square. Maybe somebody could confirm

This and the 16x9 format aspect ratios do not apply to RAW, though if you shoot RAW+JPEG you will see the changes in the VF.

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    I succumbed. It was only a matter of time. I picked up the camera this afternoon and after charging the battery, headed to the North Shore to catch sunset.

The first two shots are A-A (auto). I thought it would be a little smarter; f/16, 1/1200, 800 ISO.

R
    Congrats - another one bites the dust

I'm thinking when you put it on auto maybe the DR was on and it was boosting the ISO to deal with the DR. DR400 requires ISO 800. ISO, the could have at least used a shutter of 1/2400 or 1/3000 and brought the aperture down a stop or so.tough scene not to blow out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely images, Rich!

(Did you forget God? )

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I drove a little bit farther and as I pulled into the last place to park before Kaena Point, this group flagged me down and asked if I would take their picture with their iPhones (they were visiting from Oz). Of course, I obliged and took a shot of my own.

Shot in A-priority....Wide open, 1/150, 200 ISO

I am loving it.

A shout out to Carl who I pestered with PM's and Terry too. (Terry your podcast on SeriousCompacts was cool).
    Thanks for Lee, PenSon, ReeRay, teeraash, Roy Benson and all the others showing their great pics.

And a BIG mahalo to bigkidneys (Jason T) who I've had a running text message convo going for the last several weeks. He has been shooting the XP1 in New Orleans this weekend (between cigars, beer and binets). Expecting some great posts from him as soon as he gets to a computer.

R
    Congratulations Rich! I hope this one is a winner for you. Took me a awhile to warm up to the XP1, but now I'm really enjoying this camera.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One with the 60 macro. This flower is less than 1" in size

f5.6

Very nice Terry. I'm looking forward to trying the 60, but may have to wait awhile to find one in the US.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Well I'm sure Mr. Lloyd knows his stuff, but I've been very impressed with the images shown here. Yeah, we are all waiting for RAW file support from Adobe, Capture One and so forth to discover what the quality of the RAW files really look like. I just wish Capture One supported camera profiles made with ColorChecker and that Fuji and other camera manufacturers could support DNG format like Leica and Pentax; we could then use a common metric for RAW IQ comparison.

Loyd points out that the body plus 3 lenses is expensive, but for a poor man the X Pro1 system is attainable for a digital rangefinder style camera, unlike Leica products.

To be honest I'm still on the fence waiting to see wait the OMD tests like in the field but I'm strongly attracted to the X Pro 1 for a potent light kit for travel.

Too many cameras, too little time ...
    I find it increasingly frustrating how some people can come out with sweeping statements? How can the X-Pro 1 images be frustrating to work with? Almost everyone says the IQ is fantastic. I find that they can sharpen up in LR a little as well and look even better.

Then there's Steve Huff who manages to make the Fuji look dreadful next to the OM-D but he compares a 12mm (24 equiv) on the OM-D with the 35mm (52 equiv) on the Fuji and who knows where his focus point was? All I can say is 'pointless'! I am sure the OM-D is a great camera too but ...

The photo internet world is becoming a very weird place these days and I wouldn't want to believe what I see from many of these sites. This site is one of the exceptions.

Lee

sebasco

I agree that the photo review internet world is becoming a very bizarre place these days. The proof, however, is in the image quality of the photos we keep seeing all over the web.

Here are a couple of other shots taken with the camera..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    I find it increasingly frustrating how some people can come out with sweeping statements? How can the X-Pro 1 images be frustrating to work with? Almost everyone says the IQ is fantastic. I find that they can sharpen up in LR a little as well and look even better.

Then there's Steve Huff who manages to make the Fuji look dreadful next to the OM-D but he compares a 12mm (24 equiv) on the OM-D with the 35mm (52 equiv) on the Fuji and who knows where his focus point was? All I can say is 'pointless'! I am sure the OM-D is a great camera too but ...

The photo internet world is becoming a very weird place these days and I wouldn't want to believe what I see from many of these sites. This site is one of the exceptions.

Lee
    Everyone is entitled say what they think. However, discussing such pay-per-view sites here where the contributors have been passionate and IMO quite honest ( I learnt a lot about Fuji by simply asking questions and getting the answers for free and I would rate the likes of Ario better than some of the testers in terms of photographic acumen) is just ridiculous and certainly does not encourage free exchange and sharing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Everyone is entitled say what they think. However, discussing such pay-per-view sites here where the contributors have been passionate and IMO quite honest ( I learnt a lot about Fuji by simply asking questions and getting the answers for free and I would rate the likes of Ario better than some of the testers in terms of photographic acumen) is just ridiculous and certainly does not encourage free exchange and sharing.
    You may really dislike paid sites but I have no grudge with someone making their living with a subscription service. If they aren't good and people don't get the value they will fail.

Post Thanks / Like

I am loving it.

R
    Great shots Rich. I thought, like Terry, that auto-dr would have bumped up the ISO to 800. OTOH the shots don't look like they are auto-dr to me as the shadows would be lighter. Did you use Velvia film simulation?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Great shots Rich. I thought, like Terry, that auto-dr would have bumped up the ISO to 800. OTOH the shots don't look like they are auto-dr to me as the shadows would be lighter. Did you use Velvia film simulation?

Lee
    Lee......yes, Velvia. Auto-DR......but after chimping the first shots I went (-) 0.7EC.

Still learning lots.....probably going to stick with Aperture priority for a while.

BTW......I don't understand the DR settings at all. I guess I'll have to read up.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Great first shots Rich! On the auto DR thing, pretty sure I read somewhere on the forums that if left on auto you will get higher ISO on mist occasions due to the camera either trying to keep from blowing highlights and or lifting shadows. Not sure which one but given the fact the ISO capabilities are so good with the camera, I leave it on auto all the time. Still haven't messed with all the settings but have been using the film bracket option while here in NOLA and I love it! Really wish I had my ND filter with me for a few shots but otherwise this camera is great for street photography type stuff IMO even though I rarely try street.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, after much debate and several attempts with friends cameras, I was able to snag one of these for a try. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gotten to know the camera better, and it, like the M9, changes the way one typically would approach an image and composition. IQ is stunning. Here are some early attempts....Comments and criticisms welcomed.

IQ is M-like, for sure, with better high ISO....focus remains an issue, particularly in low light, were all of that high ISO goodness could come in handy....

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may really dislike paid sites but I have no grudge with someone making their living with a subscription service. If they aren't good and people don't get the value they will fail.
    I have no grudge against any site nor do I have any problem with anyone making living with what they do. It is just this never ending spam- worse than spam for the reason I outlined above that is a problem. As I said, I do feel discouraged to discuss anything useful, freely, when paid sites (whether they are relevant or not is another matter ) are being quoted constantly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW......I don't understand the DR settings at all. I guess I'll have to read up.

R
    The DR settings use ISO and underexposure to do the job. The easy way to understand it

to get DR 200% you need ISO400
    to get DR 400% you need ISO800

so, any shot I see where someone is in bright daylight shooting ISO800 I assume they have DR or auto DR 400 kicking in.

Just as an FYI this is different than the Fuji EXR sensors which use hardware and not software for some of the DR settings. In the X100 and x-pro1 is just software and use of ISO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S. Add me to the list of fans of this camera...next up...we need LR4 RAW support, but the JPEG's are quite nice, as others (Terry, Graham, Rich, Vivek, Teerash, Carl, Ewe) have mentioned or demonstrated....hope to add my lot to the pile...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi all, after much debate and several attempts with friends cameras, I was able to snag one of these for a try. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gotten to know the camera better, and it, like the M9, changes the way one typically would approach an image and composition. IQ is stunning. Here are some early attempts....Comments and criticisms welcomed.

IQ is M-like, for sure, with better high ISO....focus remains an issue, particularly in low light, were all of that high ISO goodness could come in handy....
    Very nice shots Ashwin. The B&W portraits are just beautiful.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, the 60s are freeing up.

Ashwin: no issues with blown highlights!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Thanks, Robert. I've been totally schizophrenic with regards to whether or not to buy the camera. I got a nice deal in town, and decided to snag it...I have enjoyed using it after a long back and forth...I have sort of learned to go with the flow and not fight it. It's actually a similar process that I went through with the M8 a few years ago. The camera presents a different way of seeing and photographing the world around you. I have set the exposure comp to -1/3 to -2/3, in daylight, and that seems to work well.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin....so many favorites.....here's one that stands out for me.

Very nice.......R

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin your photos are great examples of why it's the photog, not the gear.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin....so many favorites.....here's one that stands out for me.

Very nice.......R
    ++1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks to everyone here!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, thanks for reminding us the X-Pro 1 has some serious magic... in a photographer's hands. Bravo

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,
    Real nice pics. Thks for posting.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Couple with the Contax C/Y Distagon on the XP1.

Looking for red blowout.

Stolen padlock?

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl - the straw is brilliant. Well spotted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've added an X-Pro1 section to my website

Finally caved and bought the X-Pro1.. enjoying it very much and have added a section dedicated to the X-Pro1 to my website at: Fuji X-Pro1 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

Here are a few samples.... I've only been out once for shooting so my subject matter is limited. I was using the 18 & 35.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,
    Looks good so far. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,
    Looks good so far. Enjoy!
    Terry, having fun with it.. like it a lot. I need to get a diopter for it though and find more time to use it.. this working for a living is really putting a dent into my photography!

Makes me want to call in sick!
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got the Voigtlander ones from Cameraquest and they are $25. But people have found others cheaper. I think the Nikons from the FM series work and B&H or Photovillage have them with Photo Village lowest at $17

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl - the straw is brilliant. Well spotted.
    Thanks Terry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    Finally caved and bought the X-Pro1.. enjoying it very much and have added a section dedicated to the X-Pro1 to my website at: Fuji X-Pro1 Photography by Jim Radcliffe
    Here are a few samples.... I've only been out once for shooting so my subject matter is limited. I was using the 18 & 35.
    Very nice Jim, look forward to more.
    Carl
    Gallery