The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Terry

OK,
Mine is here....of course I got home well after dark which meant I got to play with iso 25,600.

I'm kind of in lust :p. I've used a lot of different cameras and I will say this camera has a great control layout for me. No, focus is nowhere near what m4/3 can do :angry:.

I think this is going to be fun :thumbs:.

I think this ices any thoughts of the OMD.

Brian Mosley

Congratulations Terry, I'll be keen to see your impressions.

I sort of wish they'd brought a 23mm lens out with the X-Pro 1... maybe they want to ensure a strong market for an X100 successor? (wishful thinking)

Brian

Sapphie

I'm not sure if this proves anything at all, all this seems old hat now, certainly since the K5 appeared. Anyway, first is SOOC JPEG, set to auto-dr, so was ISO 800 for the camera to preserve highlights and bump up the shadows. The second is with the LR4 Shadows slider at 100%.

Lee

scho

The Fuji X-Pro 1 and 35 just arrived today. A few quick first shots around the garden and a comparison of the 35 with the MF Contax G 45.

Two scenes shot with both the Fuji 35 1.4 and The Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar. Not a rigorous comparison with varying settings, but just a quick feel for MF on the XP1. Very difficult to focus in magnified view handheld (all of these shots) because of the jittery EVF display and ghosting. This really needs to be fixed to make the XP1 a viable MF camera. The images were not resized so just links to the full size images.

Scene1
Fuji 35

Contax 45

Scene 2
Fuji 35

Contax 45

The Contax 45 was mounted to the XP1 with a Kipon adapter that worked well (smooth focus and no binding), but not ideal due to close proximity of focus ring to the mount base. I don't know if I'm seeing just jpeg compression or in camera noise reduction (thought it was off) in these full size images, so waiting to look at raw image results when LR and C1 provide support.
Added a few more shots today taken with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar for comparison with above. This one is a link to the full size image of Scene 2 above that was shot yesterday with both the Fujinon 35 1.4 and Contax G 4 f/2.:
_DSF0074.jpg photo - Carl Schofield photos at pbase.com

A mirror shot of the Contax G 35 Planar on the X-Pro1. Not quite as sharp as the Fujinon, but still draws nicely and easy to handle and focus on the X-Pro1. So far I've used the 35, 45, and 90 mm Contax G lenses on the XP1 w/o any image quality problems evident. Unfortunately, I can't mount the 28mm Biogon using the Kipon adapter because the rear element protrudes past the back of the adapter when focused at infinity.

Shashin

Congratulations Terry, I'll be keen to see your impressions.

I sort of wish they'd brought a 23mm lens out with the X-Pro 1... maybe they want to ensure a strong market for an X100 successor? (wishful thinking)

Brian

Or maybe they see X Pro1 customers buying an X100 as a backup to let X100 stocks run down.

teeraash

My E-M5 arrived to Bangkok yesterday but it was a national holiday and with this long break, FedEx plan to deliver it to me on the 10th. Will call them this morning and ask them to deliver it today. Dam, tomorrow is my birthday, they should know:cussing: I'm not good at doing A vs B but it is interesting to compare Pro-1 with E-M5 in various shooting conditions. Anyone here thinking of getting either Pro-1 or E-M5?

On another note, anyone here notices that X100's focus is a fraction faster than Pro-1 after upgrading firmware to 1.2 (haven't tried 1.21 yet)?

Last edited:

scho

Thanks Carl for the comparison shots with the Contax G lenses.
You are welcome Robert. Do you know if the 28mm is converted to M mount if it would be possible to mount it on the XP1 with an M adapter or is the rear lens element protrusion still going to be a problem?

monza

My guess is that it will fit once converted. What is the obstruction, the rear element 'ears' on the back of the lens?

V

Vivek

A mirror shot of the Contax G 35 Planar on the X-Pro1. Not quite as sharp as the Fujinon, but still draws nicely and easy to handle and focus on the X-Pro1.
Looks great, Carl! :thumbs:

I did not realize how much wiser you are in person as well.:)

scho

My guess is that it will fit once converted. What is the obstruction, the rear element 'ears' on the back of the lens?
No, the tabs were removed when I used the lens on m43. The rear element protrudes beyond the base of the adapter by about 3-4 mm. I don't know what distance is acceptable.

scho

OK, I decided that it might be OK to use the Contax G 28mm Biogon on the XP1 if I stayed away from inf focus position. Does anyone know what the distance is from the closed shutter to the lens mount? Here are a few mid-range shots taken this afternoon with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on the XP1, all at f/8. There is a little bit of corner/edge smearing, some CA, and very slight cyan vignetting, but I could probably take care of this with the raws w/o much effort.

raist3d

With respect, your loss, my gain but I agree, each to their own. Check out David's blog

Soundimageplus

Even with his 'warts' I would still taken the 'all'

Lee
I am not sure how that is his loss. I mean he already has a Leica M9. What exactly is there to lose about? Both seem pretty good cameras to me.

- Raist

raist3d

Re: I hate you.. I hate all of you....

:)

Do you people have any idea how hard it is to look at these photos from the X-Pro1 and not hit the order button? Do you have any idea what this is doing to my will power meter? :(
I don't see why honestly and saying this in general- why the release of a good camera like the X1-Pro should trigger a complete desire to buy from people with already excellent cameras baffles me at this point, if they are interested in photography that is. Maybe that's my mistake, that assumption.

Seen long enough that a lot of same group that jumped from X to latest pen2, jumped to GH2/K-5's then Pen 3s, then now the EM-5 and X1 Pro. Oh what's on that horizon- the GH3? And later E-7 (yes, it's coming apparenlty) and EM-5 MKII. I am sure there will be some new super camera coming in 6-12 months to upgrade again. And again. And again. And again.

All upgrades from cameras that were already fantastic. And sure, the X1 pro to me looks fantastic. I am very happy for Fuji as a company that finally they get some gold with their latest X cameras (orbies nowithstanding). It's what I wanted them to do over 5 years ago when I commented how their good direction of F700/F710/F810 got spoiled. I realize that my K-5 is still very much fantastic. Nothing to do with the K-5, all to do with why from having a fantastic camera go to a new fantastic camera.

Waste of cash, and waste of photographic development. I see the same pictures taken with the other cameras. Lots of snaps, tests, and the same level of photography they had before for the most part.

DR minutia on this new model, iso measurement on that situation, on another, and now that finally, the knowledge is there to just forget about the camera and think more photographically, a new camera comes along, upgrade, rinse/lather/repeat.

Oh yeah, I have been there. Doesn't make it any less true.

[]

Only negative I have heard is in regards to the AF.. a bit slow.. and it gets worse with low light... I hate it when that happens.
I bet someone who keeps their X1 pro for at least three years if not more, and learns to work with that, will make that a non issue for them for the most part and "level up" their photography over doing the annual (bi-monthly?) switch. Every new super camera is bound to have some quirk.

- Raists