The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Thank you Carl, yes it is a very nice camera, with just a few flaws wich I'm confident will be fixed with the next FW's, but resolving power, DR and hig ISO performances are really already very good and with some reasonable chance to be further improved once the support from Adobe and/or Capture One is available.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Caboose and locomotive at Boca Raton train depot...in use: 1920s.
35/1.4 / Pro-X-1

Sorry! Last 2 images are the same...couldn't figure out how to delete one of them.

Last edited:

scho

Maybe it's the effect of the tele lens but it looks 3d

:) nice
Thanks Jolly. Yes, relatively close focus distance (for this lens) and equivalent 135mm focal length at f/5.6 produced narrow depth of field and depth illusion.

fordfanjpn

Just got mine last night and took a few snapshots on the way to work. Even though I have the X10 and X100, I can see that I have a lot to learn with this machine.

I couldn't get the Flickr pic to embed, so here's a link. I posted full size images for pixel peeping purposes, if anyone is interested.

Bill

Toranomon-9 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

scho

Just got mine last night and took a few snapshots on the way to work. Even though I have the X10 and X100, I can see that I have a lot to learn with this machine.

I couldn't get the Flickr pic to embed, so here's a link. I posted full size images for pixel peeping purposes, if anyone is interested.

Bill

Toranomon-9 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hi Bill,
Really nice first shots with your new XP1. Great detail in the decorative metal piece.

fordfanjpn

Thanks Carl. I can see that I'm going to need to spend some time with this camera to get comfortable with it. Should be fun! :D

Bill

scho

Carl, how easy/difficult is focusing with the 90mm?
Robert,

I'm slowly getting used to manual focusing and it is relatively easy with the 90. I'm sure it would be better if the focusing ring on the adapter was not so close to the lens mount. The 90 is probably a good candidate for M mount conversion.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Secrets (none) to processing Pro-X-1 images: I have been using Photoshop Elements for a long time...and for all cameras...quicker and easier than Photoshop. Pro-X-1 jpegs get the same treatment as all other images...I shoot the same stuff at the same time every day, so I manually set f/stop and shutter speed, and compensate by stopping up or down (usually around f/8-11 @ 250 with an ISO of 400. If needed when processing, I adjust exposure and color...Pro-X-1 jpegs have been running a bit yellow (I'm shooting in early AM). I sharpen a bit (some jpegs look like they have been sharpened in camera a bit much...anyone else notice this?
Heaviest processing is cropping. I find frame lines in VF are unreliable, so I leave extra room around the edges to compensate. The two red baggage carts have been heavily cropped to avoid bright sun...sharpness seems to hold up OK.
I've been very pleased with sharpness, color, and exposure with this camera. Framing should get better with practice. I'm have a great time playing with this camera.Hope this is of some value.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Sapphie

I sharpen a bit (some jpegs look like they have been sharpened in camera a bit much...anyone else notice this?
Heaviest processing is cropping. I find frame lines in VF are unreliable, so I leave extra room around the edges to compensate. The two red baggage carts have been heavily cropped to avoid bright sun...sharpness seems to hold up OK.

I've been very pleased with sharpness, color, and exposure with this camera. Framing should get better with practice. I'm have a great time playing with this camera.Hope this is of some value.

Roy Benson
Hi Roy

Sharpness - I am not sure, though I have felt this myself recently. On my last outing I set sharpness and noise reduction both to -2, in Provia mode. I almost think this was 'better', as they sharpened up very well in LR. On the other hand I have sometimes felt that Velvia is a little soft, so I suspect there are different 'recipes' for different simulations.

OVF framelines - well, for me this is the biggest disappointment with the camera, though the Leica lovers here may well offer some comfort! Ok, it's not *that* bad and it's better to have 'more' in your shot than 'less' than you were expecting but, coming from the X100, I do feel that the framelines in the OVF should be more accurate - I do get considerably more in the final picture than is within the frameline.

Of course if you say this on another forum you get told to 'use the EVF for accurate framing'. Well with the X100 I only really had to do that for close-up shots, not distant landscapes. So I think that advice is mis-placed. I really, really like the OVFs in these cameras and they are one of the main selling points! I guess I am already learning to accommodate.

Actually, Roy, looking at your comments again I see we are contradictory. I find I get more in and you are saying that you are allowing for more room. Realising that you are shooting at closer quarters than me, can I ask if you have enabled the 'Corrected AF frame' (I can't remember exactly what it is called) in the menu? You will then see 'two' focus boxes (one for far, one for near) and the frameline will shift as appropriately when you half press the shutter. For close up shots, I do actually think the EVF is the better option. Apologies if I have mis-construed or I am stating the obvious to you!

Lee

benroy

Subscriber Member
I appreciate the quick rejoinder, Lee. I do use the corrected AF frame option and see the two focus boxes, and use them accordingly. My comments about unreliable frame lines were directed mainly toward the OVF ...my tongue gets caught in my eye teeth at times, and I can't see what I am saying. :eek:)

But my framing with macro/EVF is not all that great either...I think it's more me than the camera...I lack the patience to double check before releasing the shutter. I was shooting a hibiscus blossom close up this AM...focusing on the anthers/pistils...putting them in the center of the macro frame...but when releasing the shutter, I find the whole blossom is up in the top half of the frame, instead of in the center...so more cropping is required. Sooner or later I'll get the hang of it...but it's fun, isn't it?

Roy Benson