The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

scho

I succumbed. It was only a matter of time. I picked up the camera this afternoon and after charging the battery, headed to the North Shore to catch sunset.

The first two shots are A-A (auto). I thought it would be a little smarter; f/16, 1/1200, 800 ISO.
I drove a little bit farther and as I pulled into the last place to park before Kaena Point, this group flagged me down and asked if I would take their picture with their iPhones (they were visiting from Oz). Of course, I obliged and took a shot of my own.

Shot in A-priority....Wide open, 1/150, 200 ISO

I am loving it.

A shout out to Carl who I pestered with PM's and Terry too. (Terry your podcast on SeriousCompacts was cool).
Thanks for Lee, PenSon, ReeRay, teeraash, Roy Benson and all the others showing their great pics.

And a BIG mahalo to bigkidneys (Jason T) who I've had a running text message convo going for the last several weeks. He has been shooting the XP1 in New Orleans this weekend (between cigars, beer and binets). Expecting some great posts from him as soon as he gets to a computer.

R
Congratulations Rich! I hope this one is a winner for you. Took me a awhile to warm up to the XP1, but now I'm really enjoying this camera.

Sapphie

Well I'm sure Mr. Lloyd knows his stuff, but I've been very impressed with the images shown here. Yeah, we are all waiting for RAW file support from Adobe, Capture One and so forth to discover what the quality of the RAW files really look like. I just wish Capture One supported camera profiles made with ColorChecker and that Fuji and other camera manufacturers could support DNG format like Leica and Pentax; we could then use a common metric for RAW IQ comparison.

Loyd points out that the body plus 3 lenses is expensive, but for a poor man the X Pro1 system is attainable for a digital rangefinder style camera, unlike Leica products.

To be honest I'm still on the fence waiting to see wait the OMD tests like in the field but I'm strongly attracted to the X Pro 1 for a potent light kit for travel.

Too many cameras, too little time ...
I find it increasingly frustrating how some people can come out with sweeping statements? How can the X-Pro 1 images be frustrating to work with? Almost everyone says the IQ is fantastic. I find that they can sharpen up in LR a little as well and look even better.

Then there's Steve Huff who manages to make the Fuji look dreadful next to the OM-D but he compares a 12mm (24 equiv) on the OM-D with the 35mm (52 equiv) on the Fuji and who knows where his focus point was? All I can say is 'pointless'! I am sure the OM-D is a great camera too but ...

The photo internet world is becoming a very weird place these days and I wouldn't want to believe what I see from many of these sites. This site is one of the exceptions.

Lee

S

sebasco

I agree that the photo review internet world is becoming a very bizarre place these days. The proof, however, is in the image quality of the photos we keep seeing all over the web.

Here are a couple of other shots taken with the camera..

V

Vivek

I find it increasingly frustrating how some people can come out with sweeping statements? How can the X-Pro 1 images be frustrating to work with? Almost everyone says the IQ is fantastic. I find that they can sharpen up in LR a little as well and look even better.

Then there's Steve Huff who manages to make the Fuji look dreadful next to the OM-D but he compares a 12mm (24 equiv) on the OM-D with the 35mm (52 equiv) on the Fuji and who knows where his focus point was? All I can say is 'pointless'! I am sure the OM-D is a great camera too but ...

The photo internet world is becoming a very weird place these days and I wouldn't want to believe what I see from many of these sites. This site is one of the exceptions.

Lee
Everyone is entitled say what they think. However, discussing such pay-per-view sites here where the contributors have been passionate and IMO quite honest ( I learnt a lot about Fuji by simply asking questions and getting the answers for free and I would rate the likes of Ario better than some of the testers in terms of photographic acumen) is just ridiculous and certainly does not encourage free exchange and sharing.

Terry

Everyone is entitled say what they think. However, discussing such pay-per-view sites here where the contributors have been passionate and IMO quite honest ( I learnt a lot about Fuji by simply asking questions and getting the answers for free and I would rate the likes of Ario better than some of the testers in terms of photographic acumen) is just ridiculous and certainly does not encourage free exchange and sharing.
You may really dislike paid sites but I have no grudge with someone making their living with a subscription service. If they aren't good and people don't get the value they will fail.

Sapphie

I succumbed. It was only a matter of time. I picked up the camera this afternoon and after charging the battery, headed to the North Shore to catch sunset.

The first two shots are A-A (auto). I thought it would be a little smarter; f/16, 1/1200, 800 ISO.

I am loving it.

R
Great shots Rich. I thought, like Terry, that auto-dr would have bumped up the ISO to 800. OTOH the shots don't look like they are auto-dr to me as the shadows would be lighter. Did you use Velvia film simulation?

Lee

Rich M

Great shots Rich. I thought, like Terry, that auto-dr would have bumped up the ISO to 800. OTOH the shots don't look like they are auto-dr to me as the shadows would be lighter. Did you use Velvia film simulation?

Lee
Lee......yes, Velvia. Auto-DR......but after chimping the first shots I went (-) 0.7EC.

Still learning lots.....probably going to stick with Aperture priority for a while.

BTW......I don't understand the DR settings at all. I guess I'll have to read up.

R

Bigkidneys

Great first shots Rich! On the auto DR thing, pretty sure I read somewhere on the forums that if left on auto you will get higher ISO on mist occasions due to the camera either trying to keep from blowing highlights and or lifting shadows. Not sure which one but given the fact the ISO capabilities are so good with the camera, I leave it on auto all the time. Still haven't messed with all the settings but have been using the film bracket option while here in NOLA and I love it! Really wish I had my ND filter with me for a few shots but otherwise this camera is great for street photography type stuff IMO even though I rarely try street.

ashwinrao1

Hi all, after much debate and several attempts with friends cameras, I was able to snag one of these for a try. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gotten to know the camera better, and it, like the M9, changes the way one typically would approach an image and composition. IQ is stunning. Here are some early attempts....Comments and criticisms welcomed.

IQ is M-like, for sure, with better high ISO....focus remains an issue, particularly in low light, were all of that high ISO goodness could come in handy....

V

Vivek

You may really dislike paid sites but I have no grudge with someone making their living with a subscription service. If they aren't good and people don't get the value they will fail.
I have no grudge against any site nor do I have any problem with anyone making living with what they do. It is just this never ending spam- worse than spam for the reason I outlined above that is a problem. As I said, I do feel discouraged to discuss anything useful, freely, when paid sites (whether they are relevant or not is another matter ;) ) are being quoted constantly.

Terry

BTW......I don't understand the DR settings at all. I guess I'll have to read up.

R
The DR settings use ISO and underexposure to do the job. The easy way to understand it

to get DR 200% you need ISO400
to get DR 400% you need ISO800

so, any shot I see where someone is in bright daylight shooting ISO800 I assume they have DR or auto DR 400 kicking in.

Just as an FYI this is different than the Fuji EXR sensors which use hardware and not software for some of the DR settings. In the X100 and x-pro1 is just software and use of ISO.

ashwinrao1

P.S. Add me to the list of fans of this camera...next up...we need LR4 RAW support, but the JPEG's are quite nice, as others (Terry, Graham, Rich, Vivek, Teerash, Carl, Ewe) have mentioned or demonstrated....hope to add my lot to the pile...

scho

Hi all, after much debate and several attempts with friends cameras, I was able to snag one of these for a try. I have enjoyed the experience as I have gotten to know the camera better, and it, like the M9, changes the way one typically would approach an image and composition. IQ is stunning. Here are some early attempts....Comments and criticisms welcomed.

IQ is M-like, for sure, with better high ISO....focus remains an issue, particularly in low light, were all of that high ISO goodness could come in handy....
Very nice shots Ashwin. The B&W portraits are just beautiful.

ashwinrao1

LOL. Thanks, Robert. I've been totally schizophrenic with regards to whether or not to buy the camera. I got a nice deal in town, and decided to snag it...I have enjoyed using it after a long back and forth...I have sort of learned to go with the flow and not fight it. It's actually a similar process that I went through with the M8 a few years ago. The camera presents a different way of seeing and photographing the world around you. I have set the exposure comp to -1/3 to -2/3, in daylight, and that seems to work well. :)