The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Rich M

My XPro-1 + 35mm showed up today -- too incendiary to go out this afternoon,
I think there is a film setting for quelling incendiary.......Ektachrome, if I recall......MUCH cooler. :ROTFL:

(I lived in Tucson for a while decades ago......before air conditioning lol....the rear window on my Ford Pinto exploded and the dashboard melted)

R

Last edited:

Rich M

All done in RPP, the first two with the ZM18/4 (no corner nonsense at all)....and the last two with the 35.

The Hawaiian version of the brick wall shot :)

Ya gotta LOVE this sensor.....(BTW.....self-portrait ;) )

R

scho

It doesn't take much these days :)

So my question is.....how is it possible to have so little noise in these files (no noise reduction was applied)? I thought originally that there was some in-camera voodoo going on in the JPEG engine to suppress it, but it would show up in RAW.

I got rid of a Canon 7D because of noise at base ISO.....my GH2 has quite a bit too. So what's the deal?

R
Just that pure, clear Hawaiian air Rich. :rolleyes:
All done in RPP, the first two with the ZM18/4 (no corner nonsense at all)....and the last two with the 35.

The Hawaiian version of the brick wall shot :)

R
Great color and that ZM 18 seems to be performing beautifully on the XP1. I should have kept mine, but sold it awhile ago along with the M8.

Braeside

Rich, can't wait to get the L adaptor for my XP-1 now!
Lovely shots and processing.

I am completely lost with RPP, need to read the manual. I just pray that Aperture supports XP-1 soon, as that is my workflow normally.

Spent the day going through the manual and playing generally, because the weather has broken down totally, driving rain, plus I am at the tail end of really bad bout of man flu.

Looking forward to seeing more inspirational shots from you all.

scho

XP1 with Konica AR 85mm f/1.8. Raw conversion in RPP using APX25 film emulation and subsequent split toning in LR4.

Original camera jpeg

Last edited:

Sapphie

Great shots everyone. A couple from me today with the 18mm, processed in RPP (with some sharpening added in LR). 1st one was using the K64 film simulation, the 2nd one using the RPP Velvia simulation, which is probably a little over the top!

To be honest, I am not really sure whether I prefer the OOC JPEGs or something like RPP. It will be interesting once LR supports the RAWs for another option. I have a feeling that, compared to RPP output, the JPEGs can look a little 'JPEGGY' at times but maybe I am looking too closely.

Lee

Terry

XP1 with Konica AR 85mm f/1.8. Raw conversion in RPP using APX25 film emulation and subsequent split toning in LR4.
Carl - not sure of the processing on this one. It seems a little crunchy and I'm not sure what part of the processing did it. Do yo have the original jpeg?

scho

Carl - not sure of the processing on this one. It seems a little crunchy and I'm not sure what part of the processing did it. Do yo have the original jpeg?
You might be right Terry. The AXP25 transform is a bit harsh and I also may have over sharpened on top of that. Added camera jpeg to my post for comparison.

scho

Great shots everyone. A couple from me today with the 18mm, processed in RPP (with some sharpening added in LR). 1st one was using the K64 film simulation, the 2nd one using the RPP Velvia simulation, which is probably a little over the top!

To be honest, I am not really sure whether I prefer the OOC JPEGs or something like RPP. It will be interesting once LR supports the RAWs for another option. I have a feeling that, compared to RPP output, the JPEGs can look a little 'JPEGGY' at times but maybe I am looking too closely.

Lee
Nice Lee. I like the K64 version best.

Terry

You might be right Terry. The AXP25 transform is a bit harsh and I also may have over sharpened on top of that. Added camera jpeg to my post for comparison.
Yeah, I think I like the texture in the jpeg better.

Sapphie

This one was P160NC simulation in RPP. At first I didn't think I'd be able to get anywhere close to the Auto-DR JPEG rendering but with sone fiddling with the shadows sliders etc in LR it wasn't so hard.

The longer I spend peeping the pixels the more I am convinced that the default settings for OOC JPEGs give nice sharp straight lines but detail in bushes etc tend to go a bit mushy.

Lee

Terry

The longer I spend peeping the pixels the more I am convinced that the default settings for OOC JPEGs give nice sharp straight lines but detail in bushes etc tend to go a bit mushy.

Lee
When I first got the camera we didn't have any real RAW options and I didn't really concentrate on the DR settings. So, when you use Auto DR and the camera makes adjustments what happens in the RAW exposure.

I guess I can test this using the same scene at DR100 and then Auto DR or DR400 and compare the RAW and jpeg images from each setting.

Sapphie

When I first got the camera we didn't have any real RAW options and I didn't really concentrate on the DR settings. So, when you use Auto DR and the camera makes adjustments what happens in the RAW exposure.

I guess I can test this using the same scene at DR100 and then Auto DR or DR400 and compare the RAW and jpeg images from each setting.
Terry

Like the X100, the RAWs are effectively 'under exposed' by 1 stop for DR200 and 2 stops for DR400.

So, many of my auto-dr shots are very dark when opened in RPP. The same is true of X100 RAWs opened in LR - LR does not try to compensate, whilst Aperture and Silkypix do.

I am hopeful that when LR supports X-Pro 1 that it may also try to automatically compensate for the auto-dr.

The alternative is to shoot at DR100 and shoot like we always used to, preserving highlights by getting the exposure right and raising shadows in post. However, the auto-dr facility is just soooo convenient.

Lee

Last edited:

scifitographer

got the 60mm in the mail last week. took it to shenandoah np fri and sat. it was a little too hazy for landscapes, but that was a good excuse to leave the 60mm on..

Last edited: