The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: A few from over the weekend..

Jim, very nice pictures, what is your workflow for the B&W.
_________
Manouch
Oh... you would ask me THAT question. I get emails all the time from my website asking the same question and honestly, every single photo seems to go through different paths to the final image...

I use Photoshop CS5 and since there is no RAW support I am working strictly with JPGs for now... so here goes....

Bring the photo into Photoshop
I rely almost exclusivly on the Adjustment Layers in CS5...
Adjust levels layer
Apply a curves layer
For B&W I use the B&W adjustment layer and tweak with the color sliders.
I often dodge and burn
finally, I crop, resize and sharpen
I usually sharpen using the High Pass method
once all of that is done.. I save.

I'm going to throw in some heresy here... I use Picasa for my catalog and will often play with the adjustments in Picasa (non-destructive) before I pull them into Photoshop (in original form, no adjustments) to do the work on the photo.. I've been doing this for a long time and it is part of my routine.

I've tried every version of Lightroom and found it not to my liking but may have to bite the bullet just to get RAW support for the X-Pro1. I will have to fork over close to $600 or $700 to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 because it is part of my Web Premium Suite and Adobe will not allow me to upgrade just one element of that package.. you have to do the full boat.

tom in mpls

I posted then removed this pic, thinking it was too pedestrian and not of sufficient interest. But I've reconsidered. My wife and I find there to be a bit of a surreal quality to it; I hope you like it. There is lots of purple fringing at the upper right where the grass appears against the bright sky. This is such a fun camera, I'm not sure why that is.

Braeside

Sun came out for a moment, so managed to get a backlit macro of the poppy that has almost opened since this morning. Did have to use raw to recover this, but the JPG wasn't too bad.

I didn't have the proper shade on the macro because I currently have a solar filter taped to it for the transit of Venus.

Got some really weird regular pattern in the lower part of the photo (cropped off in this photo). Suspect sensor does odd things when really overloaded, or it was reflection from sensor.

Terry

I posted then removed this pic, thinking it was too pedestrian and not of sufficient interest. But I've reconsidered. My wife and I find there to be a bit of a surreal quality to it; I hope you like it. There is lots of purple fringing at the upper right where the grass appears against the bright sky. This is such a fun camera, I'm not sure why that is.

Tom - I was trying to guess what the cat was looking at....also in LR you should be able to get rid of the fringing pretty easily.

Braeside

Here is the flare induced pattern I mentioned in that backlit shot with the macro lens: (OOC JPG, though raw shows same effect).

tom in mpls

Actually I thought the cat was doing something else altogether.. dogs often assume a similar stance :)
:eek: I wish I hadn't read that.

Tom - I was trying to guess what the cat was looking at....also in LR you should be able to get rid of the fringing pretty easily.
Another reason for me to buy and learn LR. Will it remove the fringing on jpg's? BTW, the cat was actually grazing on and rubbing against the grass, but he definitely gives the appearance of watching a critter. He is a keen hunter and he likes to show off his mice and voles.

Last edited:

Jolly

Jolly,
I think the tower shot would be awesome if you lightened the two buildings
Terry you are right, unfortunately the original picture was badly underexposed so I did my best with LR.
Thanks for your comment :)

johnnygoesdigital

Dave,

That pattern might be from stray light through the rear of the viewfinder using OVF. The pattern looks like a sensor array, so perhaps try the same photograph or similar lighting set-up with the EVF, or set the display back to LCD only, to see if that mitigates the issue.

Here's one from the Valley...

Last edited:

Braeside

Interesting idea John, I was using EVF anyway as it was in macro mode at the time, but there is no optical path from the OVF to the sensor at all. I believe I saw a photo exhibiting this pattern once before, it was one taken by Terry with a variable ND filter which at the time I assumed was a reflection of the sensor from the back of the filter, but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to do some tests.

Love the old tractor.

Braeside

Yes I know, the second one is cropped too much at the top, my fault I was in a hurry to set up before the sun went and had the horizon squint, didn't leave enough space above to straighten without losing the top of the pole.

Terry

I think there is some light bouncing around somewhere with the filter. On only of the Oly's I think E-PL2 we saw that dotted flare problem but it was usually a magenta color and again I remember seeing dotted flare with the Foveon cameras.

With the strong backlight and angular backlight in the image I wouldn't get too concerned ( but that is just me). Yes, I know that it messed up the shot but I just mean not too convened that there is a flaw with the camera.

Braeside

Thanks Terry I was curious about it, and under what conditions it showed up.

I can clone it out in any case. I wasn't using a filter of any kind in that shot, so the reflection must be within the lens itself. I don't think it is the way the camera is handling the processing of the data, just an optical effect. It kind of startled me when I saw it. Normally I would use a longer lens shade in those circumstances, so it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

EDIT:
I found the photo where you had the ND filter glare, my memory was entirely wrong, it exhibits none of the effects I was seeing.

Last edited: