The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Terry, Stephen's site was going to be my source, too; very reasonable price.

Jim, my understanding is that the OVF/EVF combo. was so complex it was deemed not possible to add an adjustable diopter. That is the main reason I did not get the X-Pro 1, too, and why I am so happy about the X-E1.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Seems a bit silly to avoid using a camera for the sake of maybe $50 investment in getting the right diopter. It hasn't been a secret from day one that there are a number of options for replaceable eyepieces with different diopter strengths from Nikon and 3rd parties. Heck, even Leica don't have an adjustable diopter on the M series ...

Just saying. There are many reasons not to like the X-Pro1 but this one seems to be a little unreasonable.

Seems a bit silly to avoid using a camera for the sake of maybe $50 investment in getting the right diopter. It hasn't been a secret from day one that there are a number of options for replaceable eyepieces with different diopter strengths from Nikon and 3rd parties. Heck, even Leica don't have an adjustable diopter on the M series ...
The problem is making sure you get the right diopter. I don't want to buy them all and then return those that don't work.. and I don't want to buy one on the chance that it does not work and have to return it. Fuji was supposed to offer their own diopters but I have yet to see them as being available anywhere. Just wish dealers had a set so you could try before you buy. I realize that unless you are close to a Fuji dealer this solves nothing.

I have been using the X-Pro1 just fine without a diopter but I do wish I could get my hands on "the right one for me"...

As for Leica.. well, nevermind.. not worth going into.

johnnygoesdigital

After using the Xpro1, I found it to be one of the most satisfying cameras i've ever used. I actually sold my Nex-7, because I couldn't get use to the EVF. Pair the Xpro1 with a "Thumbs Up" and the Fuji grip, and you have a camera with fantastic ergonomics. I would often pair this camera with my Gitzo 1780QR and 1541T tripod, and could travel anywhere! I'd use a cable release with the LCD stopwatch (nicely thought out), as the viewfinder automatically shuts, and counts up/down. The XE-1, imo, is not an upgrade, but the addition of a 14mm lens is really cool.

etrigan63

I have no bones to pick about using an EVF. My OM-D's EVF is very usable (even if it is not as hi-res as the Sony NEX 6-7 or the X-E1) but Oly's manual focus aids leave a bit to be desired. I am quite taken with the X-Trans Sensor and the X lenses and firmly believe that that the X-E1 will combine them all in a very compelling package.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Graham, in my case (and I wrote about this at the time) my assistant needs no eye correction, and I need +2, and on event jobs we like to swap bodies. A fixed diopter is no problem at all, I agree, if the camera only needs to fit you.

And for me personally the smaller form factor and lighter weight and EVF-only are all pluses. I have one on order with my 'holy trinity': 14/2.8, 35/1.4, and 60/2.4. When the pancake and the UWA zoom materialise I will probably get these, too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Price is nice, that cat photo on the top is just WOW, there's apparently an adapter available for my CY 85/1.4... very, very tempting.

Moonshine

that cat photo is simply wow! now i'm thinking about this camera when i was almost going to buy an omd...glad i didn't! I just hope the image quality is exactly the same as the xpro1...i know i know its the same sensor but even the leica x1 and x2 were supposed to be the same but really the IQ on the X1 seems a tiny bit better... imho....

raist3d

I am watching the X-E1 with interest because if I can fit in pocket without the lens, I may sell all I have and have this Fuji as my one and only camera for paid work and personal work. Right now most likely I am not buying it. And i have to make sure I test the X1-Pro after the firmware upgrade to get an idea.. hopefully with the camera of a friend.. :)

- Ricardo

F

flashinm

You can usually find Nikon diopters on ebay for around $10 each.

Lloyd

Got to hang out today in New York with our own Ashwin Rao (Ashwinroa1), Steve Gomes (sjg284), and Ashwin's SO, Jennifer. Ashwin and Jen are in town for a wedding, and I'm hanging out while my wife attends a conference. Steve was nice enough to take the day off and show us around. Here's the crew:

X-Pro1, 35/1.4:

Last edited:

sjg284

Lloyd - here's my group shot

using Lloyd's fuji 18/2

And as scheduled.. a box was waiting for me when I got home.. fuji 35/1.4 is now in my possession.

and the rest of the day with the 18/2..

thanks for lookin!

Lloyd

Steve: That was a great day. Thanks so much for showing us around Manhattan. Great pix too!

Lee: Nice work with the 60.

Last edited: