The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

raist3d

I'm not sure about the X-E1 yet myself. I like do use the OVF in the X-pro 1 more than the EVF and don't like the relatively slow EVF refresh rate of the X-Pro 1. I read yesterday that Fuji say the X-E1 EVF refresh rate is 46 fps, that is very poor (compared to the OM-D which is 60 fps on Normal and 120 fps on High) I can put up with it for the odd shot, but not as the only VF.

A Japanese web magazine published Fujifilm Mr. Ueno's interview.
1. EVF is the same speed as X-Pro1 46fps. (Sony Nex 7 60fps) The reason why X-E1 is slower than Sony is X-Trans CMOS.
2. EVF latency is less than 20ms, which should be totally acceptable.
But believe it or not, at least with the firmware I tried the Nex 7 slows down in lower light more than the Fuji X-Pro 1. I tried the X-Pro 1 just last night in street night city light and the refresh rate seemed faster than what I remember the Nex 7 doing. I didn't find it too bad actually.

Also 46 fps is not bad (it seems to me it's actually a bit lower in lower light, maybe 23 fps which is not horrible, that's almost like film).

But to me the choice between X-E1 and X-Pro 1 is clear: the X-E1 is smaller, case closed for me. I don't like the size of the X-Pro 1.

- Ricardo

Braeside

Point taken about the size Ricardo. Its a personal thing, I prefer the larger size and in fact use a case that makes it even taller.

It may just be my imagination, but I do think the EVF refresh rate of the X-Pro 1 has improved since version 2 firmware update. Certainly it is a lot easier to manual focus now, especially with the choice of 3X zoom and 10X.

I'll wait for a couple of years and see what other improvements Fuji bring to their X range, hopefully much better EVF refresh times and general speed improvements.

One thing they did right with the X-E1 was fitting a diopter adjustment instead of having to fit an external correction lens on X-Pro 1.

In the mean time I'll be picking up more of the Fuji X lenses as they become available. I have been impressed by them and they are excellent value for money.

Anyway, sorry for this pause in service, back to taking photos!

Rich M

Ashwin......I'm a little disappointed here.......

I mean, where are some shots of the UW/Stanford game?? ;)

The other shots are great BTW. :D

R

ashwinrao1

LOL, thanks, guys...Rich, alas, I wasn't at the game...who would have thought that UW'd pull that one out....

Lee, Rich, Raist, Ario, David, Lloyd, and everyone else, thank you all so much.

Images we taken in RAW, and converted in LR4. There's quite a bit of latitude to edit the RAW files, though when little editing is necessary, I'm still happy to use JPEG's. We do need a better RAW converter, but now at least AF is substantially improved, though not perfect

sjg284

Great stuff this week!
Lloyd, great B&W.. and ISO 4000, great isn't it?
Ash - My fave is the portrait of the girl w/ handkerchief, cute!
PenSen - that's an interesting bit of art/architecture there :)

sjg284

And for me..
XPro1 + XF 35/1.4

Some color..

And some B&W

B&W processed in Silver Efex 2.. with varying settings.
Hope GOOG doesn't end of life it after their acquisition. Clearly the Nik purchase was for the mobile assets, and GOOG is not in the business of shipping paid desktop software in any form...
LR4+SFX2 keep reminding me I need to go computer shopping.. Apple better hurry up those rumored Mac Pro updates :-/ .. I know what I'm getting for Festivus this year!

Braeside

Steve, I read somewhere that Nik have said that their desktop products will continue, which is great news.

One from a trip down the East Neuk of Fife yesterday:

Pelao

Steve, I dead read somewhere that Nik have said that their desktop products will continue, which is great news..
That's great news. Their position may change over time, but it's still good to hear.

I can see clearly now...

I went to a local camera show (read as flea market) this weekend and was lucky enough to find one of the old Nikon diopters (+1) and it did wonders for my EVF on the X-Pro1. It was old, worn and brassed but it only cost me $2.00.. but now that I know exactly what strength I need I have ordered the Fuji +1 from B&H... but that is not the real story.

The real story is that now I am finally able to obtain critical focus with my legacy lenses like the Minolta Rokkor PG 58mm f/1.2 wide open.. which is what I used to take this photo. I cannot tell you how much more fun it is now that my EVF is crystal clear and in focus. I was beginning to think that there might be a problem with the lens as I never could get sharp focus when it was wide open. It was my vision and the "apparent" in-focus image I saw in the EVF that was the problem. The +1 diopter has solved this issue and I will be keeping the 58mm f/1.2.

Anyway, visited the Rail Yard in Grapevine, Texas for a little while today and loved the way the Rokkor and the XP1 worked together on this first shot. The two seem made for each other.