The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

The X-Pro1 & The Haunted Hotel in Maydelle, Texas

This is the Cushing Hotel in Maydelle, Texas.. somewhat of a wide spot in the road between Palestine, TX and Rusk, TX.

Of course the hotel is not haunted.. in fact, the building was never a hotel. It was actually a bank in the early 1900s and later was a hardware store and market, so some of the locals told me. So why the hotel sign if it was not a hotel?

The Cushing Hotel sign was put on the building when the movie "The Long Summer of George Adams" starring James Garner was filmed there in 1981. The movie was about a town called "Cushing, Oklahoma" and that is the reason for the sign being on the building.

I saw this building while I was waiting to photograph the steam locomotive that makes its way through Maydelle on its way to Rusk. I had to shoot it. It just had too much character for me to pass it by.

Shot with the Fuji X-Pro1 and the 18mm. Post work in Photoshop CS6.

ustein

Contributing Editor
David, it is sad that these beautiful old locomotives ended up on the scrap heap.. no vision for future generations at all... just salvage and profit.

Here is one more I took from where a country road crosses the tracks in the Piney Woods of Texas. Note the railroad ties stacked on the siding. The tracks somewhat parallel the main road between Palestine and Rusk, Texas.. so we would leapfrog ahead of the train, find a country road that crossed the tracks and wait for it. We did this about four times.. resulting in a number of different backgrounds and angles... so I spent my Saturday "Chasing a Train".

Always stunned by you B&W work.

Always stunned by you B&W work.
Thanks.. appreciate that... These old locomotives just beg to be B&W.. just wish I had more time and more subjects. I know California has several old rail proejects.. maybe on my next trip out there I will visit a few if time permits.

by the way... I took the Pentax K5 along for this as well and the photos I got from the K5 did not come close to the detail the X-Pro1 was delivering.. that AA filter on the K5 seems to be the culprit.

And.... I have decided I simply MUST get that 18-55.. I really needed a zoom on the X-Pro1 when I was shooting those train shots.. zooming with your feet works but it is the time element that is restrictive. I just did not have the time to foot zoom on some of these as the train was moving.. the zoom would have allowed for many more shots.

Last edited:

Braeside

Nice day today down at St Monans Harbour. Went to do some infrared, but not very happy with the results, but quite pleased with this colour one.

Braeside

Thanks Lee. The weather has been superb. I'm kicking myself that I missed the Aurora last night.

Another from St Monans:

Mystery boat part.

Last edited:

Braeside

Carlos, Yes Hoya IR filter and I use Nik Silver Efex Pro plugin in Aperture for PP. Most shots are from the ooc JPG.
I generally use ISO 400, F4 which gives a shutter speed of around a second, (other apertures on the 18mm give more of a noticeable hotspot) so needs a tripod or steady place to put the camera. As I use the JPGs I do manually adjust the WB in the camera. AF works fine.