The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Fuji X-Pro1 at the Chinese Lantern Festival

No, I was not in Hong Kong (although it is on my Bucket List of places to visit) I was at the State Fair of Texas where I saw one the most amazing exhibits I have ever seen in my life. It is called the Chinese Lantern Festival. I had the opportunity to walk through the area while the Chinese artisans were putting these displays together. It is art, pure and simple. The workmanship and attention to detail is absolutely amazing. I was told by one of the officials that it took three months to assemble everything.. and what you see here is but a fraction of what is on display.

By the way, I did not bump the color in these shots.. this is exactly how it looks at night. The colors were so vivid that I made sure the X-Pro1 was set to Provia/Standard. All photos were taken with the Fuji X-Pro1 and the 18mm. Enjoy!

Damn I love this camera!

The display above was about 30 feet tall.. huge and stunning in appearance.

The above shot is of the entrance to the exhibit area, shot from the side.

These "statues" are composed of thousands of tiny bottles of colored water hand laced to a metal frame and lit from within.

If you would like to read about this exhibit, Click on the link below. It is truly amazing.... and so is the X-Pro1.

Chinese Lantern Festival

Enjoy!

Braeside

Amazing place Jim, good that you got to take shots without crowds of people in the way too. Thanks very much for posting.

Amazing place Jim, good that you got to take shots without crowds of people in the way too. Thanks very much for posting.
Oh there were crowds.. I waited and waited until I had a few seconds with no one around to take the shots.. the crowd tended to ebb and flow.

By the way, I have noticed that on really bright days using the EVF becomes problematic due to parasitic light entering the viewfinder. What is needed is an eyecup.. so today I ordered one that was designed for the Nikon FM2 which uses the same size diopter as the X-Pro1.. hoping it will work as I enjoy using my manual focus lenses but the light that bleeds in to the EVF makes it sometimes difficult to see when you have critical focus. I'll let you know how it works out.

Lloyd

One from last night from the 10th floor of the building were I was working for the day. Shot through the window, but came out ok. Pretty impressive sky as the storm was breaking.

XP1, CV 15/4.5 Superwide:

More decay and memories in the auto-graveyard

I took a few more shots in the auto-graveyard the other day with the X-Pro1 and the 18mm. Note the wasp nest in first one, near the bottom right.. I did not see it until they made themselves known to me.

Lloyd

These are really wonderful images, Jim. For my part, I'm really struggling to get clean sharp images with the 18mm. Wish I knew your secret!

These are really wonderful images, Jim. For my part, I'm really struggling to get clean sharp images with the 18mm. Wish I knew your secret!
I've heard others say that the 18mm is not up to par with the 35 & 60 but I just have not encountered issues with it. I often shoot wide so I am looking into the Voigtlander ULTRA WIDE-HELIAR 12mm F5.6 Aspherical

Take a look at this group of photos taken with it: Voigtlander ULTRA WIDE-HELIAR 12mm F5.6 Aspherical - a set on Flickr

And also this one: http://markhilliardatelier.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/voigtlander-heliar-ultra-wide-angle-12mm-f5-6-lens-and-the-fuji-x-pro-1/

It's a pricey lens but from what I have seen online it works great with the X-Pro1 and results in an actual 18mm field of view.

Last edited: