The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Lloyd

I've heard others say that the 18mm is not up to par with the 35 & 60 but I just have not encountered issues with it. I often shoot wide so I am looking into the Voigtlander ULTRA WIDE-HELIAR 12mm F5.6 Aspherical

Take a look at this group of photos taken with it: Voigtlander ULTRA WIDE-HELIAR 12mm F5.6 Aspherical - a set on Flickr

And also this one: Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens and the Fuji X Pro 1 | Mark Hilliard Atelier's Blog

It's a pricey lens but from what I have seen online it works great with the X-Pro1 and results in an actual 18mm field of view.
Those are nice, and I am familiar with the 12mm. I have and use the Voightlander 15mm on the X-Pro1 regularly. I love much about the XP1, but I'm not getting the sharp images I expected, especially from a camera with no anti-aliasing filter. Starting to wonder if it's just my copy.

I love much about the XP1, but I'm not getting the sharp images I expected, especially from a camera with no anti-aliasing filter. Starting to wonder if it's just my copy.
Maybe post some examples so we can see what you are seeing? Post at least 1200 pixel wide.

So many of my photos don't even need to be sharpened. It is one of the things I like most about the XP1. Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Lloyd

Thanks Jim. I'll do that soon. (Up to my elbows in a "honey do" project this morning.) Are you using any in-camera sharpening? I'm getting somewhat soft images even with +1 in Sharpening.

Photomorgana

Lots of great pictures in this thread, I enjoyed looking thru them.
I have to say that I really like draw of 18mm lens even more so than 35mm.
I know it's been said that resolution is not the greatest, but it sure has some character. I wonder how the new zoom will perform.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I know it's been said that resolution is not the greatest, but it sure has some character. I wonder how the new zoom will perform.
Me too - I have both and as good as the 35mm is I actually really like the rendering of the 18mm too.

Lloyd

Fun stuff, Ashwin! She is such a cutie. And, those shots of the leaves in the last set are terrific.

JCT

Lots of great pictures in this thread, I enjoyed looking thru them.
I'm wondering the same, I'm very happy with the 35/60 pair, have an x100 I use at the wide end, but I just had a nice professional milestone and I'm in line for a present to myself -- vacillating between the 18mm, the zoom (maybe together with the XE1 as a second body) or the 14mm .

Hmmm.

Available light B&W Portrait shot

X-Pro1 with the 58mm Rokkor f/1.2

Fuji, Please Give Us Focus Peaking

I wanted to do an available light portrait in B&W for an online forum thread. This is what I came up with. The Minolta Rokkor lenses do a wonderful job. The only problem is my old eyes need assistance in obtaining critical focus, especially when you are dealing with fast glass and a shallow depth of field as in this shot. The X-Pro1 needs Focus Peaking. There are so many great manual focus legacy lenses available for next to nothing... and Fuji does not yet have a full spectrum of lenses. Many, like myself, have opted to use legacy glass to fill the gap. The EVF magnification is good but Focus Peaking would be so much better.

fordfanjpn

Re: Available light B&W Portrait shot

I get your point on the desirability of focus peaking, but it sure looks like you nailed the focus on this pic of Santa checking his list twice. :D

Bill

X-Pro1 with the 58mm Rokkor f/1.2

Fuji, Please Give Us Focus Peaking

I wanted to do an available light portrait in B&W for an online forum thread. This is what I came up with. The Minolta Rokkor lenses do a wonderful job. The only problem is my old eyes need assistance in obtaining critical focus, especially when you are dealing with fast glass and a shallow depth of field as in this shot. The X-Pro1 needs Focus Peaking. There are so many great manual focus legacy lenses available for next to nothing... and Fuji does not yet have a full spectrum of lenses. Many, like myself, have opted to use legacy glass to fill the gap. The EVF magnification is good but Focus Peaking would be so much better.