The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Absolutely agree with Lloyd Rayyan, a great story being very well told! Can't wait to see the next segment:clap:

rayyan

Good stuff, and very interesting, Rayyan. Thank you for sharing.
Absolutely agree with Lloyd Rayyan, a great story being very well told! Can't wait to see the next segment:clap:
Lloyd, Chuck..thank you so very much for looking in and commenting.
It is much appreciated.

My thanks also to benroy and all other friends for their ' likes '.:salute:

rayyan

Egypt..The Land of the Pharaohs. Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Tutankhamun, Osiris, Ra.

The land of Sirus. The land of the Nile Delta.

The Land of the Al-Azher University. The architectural Jewel of the Fatimid Dynasty. The prime example of Abbasid arches.The seat of learning. It is here that our
friend from my previous post makes home.

The place where Musa ibn Maymun sought refuge from the Spanish persecution
of the Jews. Musa ibn Maymun, one of the most important if not the most important, philosopher of Jewish thought and philosophy.
Most know him as Maimonides.

I shall just pass through the Egyptian section quickly. Most of you are well aware of Egypt..

Ibn Batutta shall travel from Egypt to perform the Sacred Pilgrimage to Makkah
in Saudi Arabia. My home. He shall stay there for a time before hitting the Silk Route towards China.

Ibn Batutta has already visited Spain, Tunisia and Libya.

Rayyan: Thanks a lot for your interesting and enriching "lessons" about a few facets of what could be called the roots of oriental culture, all the more you're such a diverting narrator. Likewise for me thought-provoking about the transition of those truly stunning cultural achievements in the course of centuries up to the present cultural status and social reality in orient and occident, respectively across the globe. But that's for sure "Too Far Afield" to quote Theodor Fontane (Effie Briest) or in succession Guenther Grass ...

As for the pictures: All of them are beautiful and my personal favorite of the last posts is the B&W that may well follow a mathematical logic but, for me it's art.:)

All The best to you and yours!

rayyan

Rayyan: Thanks a lot for your interesting and enriching "lessons" about a few facets of what could be called the roots of oriental culture, all the more you're such a diverting narrator. Likewise for me thought-provoking about the transition of those truly stunning cultural achievements in the course of centuries up to the present cultural status and social reality in orient and occident, respectively across the globe. But that's for sure "Too Far Afield" to quote Theodor Fontane (Effie Briest) or in succession Guenther Grass ...

As for the pictures: All of them are beautiful and my personal favorite of the last posts is the B&W that may well follow a mathematical logic but, for me it's art.:)

All The best to you and yours!
Hermann, I am at a loss for words. Thank you sincerely.
Either you see me in Dubai, or I meet you in Munich!! :grin:

LIve long, live healthy, live happy. You and yours.:salute:

rayyan

I stared at the ceiling. ' Come on…else you shall miss the train ', I heard Ayesha say. ' Go on', I said..I shall meet you in Beijing!! She boarded the train. I was left alone. I could not have been happier!!

I sat down on a nearby bench. Continued to stare at the ceiling. I had been here before. I have visited these places many times in the past.

Qourtoba, Gharnata, Andulus…names from history.
Spain! Cordoba, Granada, Andulusia..

Strange feeling. I had undergone heart surgery recently, and somehow I kept thinking of a woman. A woman from history.

Spain. The seat of science, knowledge and culture in that period. The richest cities are to be found here.

A woman is giving birth to her child. She has traveled throughout Spain to find someone that can help her. Her pregnancy is difficult. If a boy, he might one day be a royal.
No doctor wants to handle her case.

On the advice of some physicians, she travels to the Andulusian city of Madinat al-Zahara. They have told her a doctor there might help. It is her last gamble.

The year is 1005 C.E. The doctor tells the nurse to prepare the patient. he scrubs his hands ( later to be known as disinfection ) with a strange liquid.

The patient has come from Cordoba. Will she survive? Will her child survive? She is afraid. Very very afraid.

The doctor brings forth an instrument ( which he had invented years ago…we shall know it as the forceps ). The woman prays. Will she ever see Cordoba again?

The doctor gets to work. Years and years of experience. The knowledge of Galan and those that followed him. The doctor's own painstaking research. All these are brought to bear; as the doctor works on his patient.

Hours pass. Will she live? Will her child be born alive?

The woman should not have worried. She was being looked after by a surgeon. The best. This Arab doctor would be the father of modern surgery. A Master of plastic surgery, dentistry, pharmacology. It shall take 300 years for his works to be translated in Latin and European tongues. From heart disease to mastectomy. He shall design 200 instruments. It shall take a 1000 years to see them as common items in surgery.

' we knew that if anyone could save me, it would be you ', would say a noble traveling down from Germany.

Al-Andulusia. The year 1005 C.E. The doctor's name is Al-Zahrawi. Known in the west as Albucasis. His massive book on medicine is Al-Tasrif, translated as ' The Method of Medicine '. Spain..Cities of a thousand fountains..

rayyan

Hermann, ceh..thank you guys.

Quickly now thru Spain...

Man and the first flight...

Place: Qurthoba, Spain. The Man, Ibn Firnas.

To be more precise: 600 years before the birth of Leonardo Da Vinci.

rayyan

I have hurried through the journey ( you might disagree :D ). I have missed the trains to Baghdad, Syria, Mali, Palestine, Sinai. The trains thru the Silk route.
And I know I shall miss the train to China.

I shall hop on this train. My last stop. Persia.

Difficult to say something about thousands of years of history in one lifetime or a hundred.

The achievements and the people behind them is a whose who of mankind's progress in all fields...I mean every single field.

There was the Door to which I found no Key;
There was the Veil through which I might not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was--and then no more of Thee and Me.

The sciences and the arts...

With them the seed of Wisdom did I sow,
And with mine own hand wrought to make it grow;
And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd--
"I came like Water, and like Wind I go."

I sometimes think that never blows so red
The Rose as where some buried Caesar bled;
That every Hyacinth the Garden wears
Dropt in her Lap from some once lovely Head.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too into the Dust descend;
Dust into Dust, and under Dust to lie
Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and--sans End!

The length of a year is calculated as 365.24219858156 days.
In the 21st century using the Hubble telescope and atomic clocks the year is known to be 365.242190 days.

An error in the 6th decimal place. The year 1079 C.E.

Working in Samarkand, Nishapur and Balkh ( all in Iran of today ) a man shall provide formulae for solving the cubic equation. He shall also determine the formulae for binominal expansion. He shall critique Euclid's theories. His work shall later find its way into Europe and form the basis of non-Euclidean geometry.

Myself when young did eagerly frequent
Doctor and Saint, and heard great argument
About it and about: but evermore
Came out by the same door where in I went.

The man is known more as a poet than as one of the greatest mathematician and astronomer of his times.

The verses I have been quoting were written by the same man.

He is known in the West as Omar Khayyam. He is just one of the hundreds of names that showed the way in science and the arts. From the land of Persia.

Let's close with another verse from Omar Khayyam..

When You and I behind the Veil are past,
Oh, but the long, long while the World shall last,
Which of our Coming and Departure heeds
As the Sea's self should heed a pebble-cast.

rayyan

benroy, Hermann..thank you.

That is end of my short journey through a shopping Mall. Next time if someone asks you what there is in a shopping mall; you know what to say!!:D

I shall leave you with one last image from Sheikh Zayed Mosque...

Thank you all for being with me on the train.

Ayesha...well she took the train to strange places like Chanel, Tiffanys, Cartier, Dior..places I have never been to. Strange places, foreign names.

Kindest regards.

rayyan

Chuck, benroy, Hermann, ceh, Jorgen...

Guys, I am grateful for your encouragement. Thank you all so very much.

You folks and Lloyd, make it worth it all.:salute:

rayyan

Let's change the theme a little.

A game...but first you might know the saying ' only mad dogs and ....go out in the midday sun..' well, I too was amongst them.

I took to the bazaars and said to myself if I could guess where these lovely people might have come from.

It was very hot and very humid.

I was feeling the heat and suddenly I got slightly afraid..wonder why?

rayyan

ceh, thank you very much for stopping by. As to my last post..these visitors were from Belarus. Lovely family.

I moved on...

As to the cam..I am beginning to get comfortable with it. I wish that and this were built into the XE-1. But each cam has its strengths and shortcomings.

The XE-1 has served me well. It might become a permanent travel companion.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

benroy, Hermann..thank you.

That is end of my short journey through a shopping Mall. Next time if someone asks you what there is in a shopping mall; you know what to say!!:D

I shall leave you with one last image from Sheikh Zayed Mosque...

Thank you all for being with me on the train.

Ayesha...well she took the train to strange places like Chanel, Tiffanys, Cartier, Dior..places I have never been to. Strange places, foreign names.

Kindest regards.
Rayyan,

this shot is outstanding, but in general all these images you posted here are superb! A real joy to watch!

May I say that obviously it does not matter which camera you use!

Thanks

Peter

rayyan

Rayyan,

this shot is outstanding, but in general all these images you posted here are superb! A real joy to watch!

May I say that obviously it does not matter which camera you use!

Thanks

Peter
Peter, now I am really embarrassed. Very grateful to you.:salute:

Kindest regards.

Lloyd

Amazing and wonderful stuff, Rayyan. Thanks for the enlightenment as well. Much.. muh appreciated.

krist8

I went to Festival des Metiers here in Toronto last week. Used my Nikon 35/2. Manual focus is now very easy with focus peaking. Just love it. Here are some pics converted by Silkypics. C&C welcome.

DSCF4335 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4369-1 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4365 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4364 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4349 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4363-1 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4361 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4359 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4351 by Krist8, on Flickr

DSCF4338-1 by Krist8, on Flickr