The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E2

Michael.. your questions....

1) I believe this XE2 is straight forward to use, similar to film with one button one function and I don't need many, no need to deep into menus, so please confirm this. All I need is ISO, shutter and aperture, center and spot metering. Ok add a review and a delete button.

The X-E2 is similar in many ways to a film camera. You set the ISO, adjust shutter speed and aperture to your heart's content. But.. it also has the benefit of digital technology which means you can actually see what those settings will do in the EVF as well as on the LCD.

2) Any idea of how M lenses would play on this camera beside the crop factor of course ? Or do you think the actual Fuji lenses are on par then manual Leica lenses bring no IQ advantages and should go on craig list. (well that is just to say because I am not sure I will ever do that

The M lenses with the M adapter should be quite good. I have no M lenses left other than an old 90mm.. will have to try it but I do not have the M adapter. The Fuji lenses are very good. Not as good as Leica but very close. Don't sell those Leica lenses.. don't make the mistake I made in selling them. That said, Leica lenses cost a freakin' fortune and honestly, bang for the buck the Fuji beats the pants off of Leica lenses. Leica will always have its signature look due to those amazing lenses and being full frame but for those with more sense than money.. the Fuji is a very good alternativesystem and a great buy. You can buy the entire Fuji system for what an M body costs with money left over... and that includes all the Fuji lenses as well.

3) When you set to 1:1, how is it displaid in the VF ? Just the square and black around it or frame lines over the full frame or else ? I love square format and I am probably one of the few funny guys around praising this setting.

Yes, you see a square with black border in the EVF and the LCD.. I prefer that to frame lines any day.. you see exactly what you will capture.

I will say this again... the Fuji is everything I like about a rangefinder without it actually being a rangefinder. I don't want to use manual focus all the time... one of the reasons I sold my Leica. I am very happy with the X-E2.. so much so that I have put my X-Pro 1 up for sale on Craig's List. It's smaller, lighter and better.

My only real gripe is that Fuji has not offered an eye-cup for use in certain situations... not a problem most of the time but every now and then you do need to shield the viewfinder from bright sunlight.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Will finally get my XE2 next Monday, was a bit of shortage here in Austria ....

I am very excited and really looking forward to this camera!

18-55mm - Probably the best kit lens I've owned

Two examples of why I keep the 18-55 on my X-E2 most of the time.

This is a shot of my brother in law that I took last Saturday while visting my sister in Richmond, Virginia. The only light was from a table lamp to his right and not a very bright one at that.

I took this one late today while waiting for my meal to arrive using the 18-55 with the X-E2 in macro mode.

I love the 35 but the 18-55 is just more versatile and a good fit for the X-E2. Most kit lenses are not very good but the Fuji 18-55 flat out beats any kit lens I have ever owned for any camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Wonderful photos Jim!

I only can confirm that also from my experience the 18-55 is one of the best (if not the best) zoom in that range!

sinwen

Michael.. your questions....

1) I believe this XE2 is straight forward to use, similar to film with one button one function and I don't need many, no need to deep into menus, so please confirm this. All I need is ISO, shutter and aperture, center and spot metering. Ok add a review and a delete button.

The X-E2 is similar in many ways to a film camera. You set the ISO, adjust shutter speed and aperture to your heart's content. But.. it also has the benefit of digital technology which means you can actually see what those settings will do in the EVF as well as on the LCD.

2) Any idea of how M lenses would play on this camera beside the crop factor of course ? Or do you think the actual Fuji lenses are on par then manual Leica lenses bring no IQ advantages and should go on craig list. (well that is just to say because I am not sure I will ever do that

The M lenses with the M adapter should be quite good. I have no M lenses left other than an old 90mm.. will have to try it but I do not have the M adapter. The Fuji lenses are very good. Not as good as Leica but very close. Don't sell those Leica lenses.. don't make the mistake I made in selling them. That said, Leica lenses cost a freakin' fortune and honestly, bang for the buck the Fuji beats the pants off of Leica lenses. Leica will always have its signature look due to those amazing lenses and being full frame but for those with more sense than money.. the Fuji is a very good alternativesystem and a great buy. You can buy the entire Fuji system for what an M body costs with money left over... and that includes all the Fuji lenses as well.

3) When you set to 1:1, how is it displaid in the VF ? Just the square and black around it or frame lines over the full frame or else ? I love square format and I am probably one of the few funny guys around praising this setting.

Yes, you see a square with black border in the EVF and the LCD.. I prefer that to frame lines any day.. you see exactly what you will capture.

I will say this again... the Fuji is everything I like about a rangefinder without it actually being a rangefinder. I don't want to use manual focus all the time... one of the reasons I sold my Leica. I am very happy with the X-E2.. so much so that I have put my X-Pro 1 up for sale on Craig's List. It's smaller, lighter and better.

My only real gripe is that Fuji has not offered an eye-cup for use in certain situations... not a problem most of the time but every now and then you do need to shield the viewfinder from bright sunlight.
Thanks Jim for your answer, I think I am sold, the camera doesn't seems to be on sale here yet, a matter of month.

retow

Will finally get my XE2 next Monday, was a bit of shortage here in Austria ....

I am very excited and really looking forward to this camera!
I will be interested in your conclusions and how it compares to the newest generation mft in terms of performance. If the Fujis were as fast and reliable in AF, they would leave mft in the dust as far as I`m concerned, no matter the more complete lens line up for the smaller sensor system. However, the X-Pro1 and XE-1 simply were not up to the task.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

My first impressions with the Fuji XE2 (got it this afternoon), mainly in comparison to the XPro1 - which I sold some months ago:

1) EVF much MUCH better than XPro1 - actually that good that I do not miss the OVF. Although the EM1 EVF is a tick better (because larger but not sharper) - which is not possible in the small XE2 design. And the WYSYWIG effect is wonderful - just as what you see in the final picture - was also not possible with XPro1.

2) AF (S-AF) much faster than XPro1 and really useable also in low light. Also not up to the Olympus EM1 S-AF, but these differences are just minor for me and I think comes also from the still a bit larger and heavier lenses of the X system. Did not test C-AF so far.

3) Handling and menus of the XE2 are wonderful, huge improvement over the old menus (from 1/2 year ago in the XPro1). Also the size is much better for me as the XPro1.

4) Responsiveness: feels much more responsive than the XPro1 - might be due to the now processor.

5) Files: so far I love these files and they are better than from the EM1, especially OOC JPEGs. And film simulation modes are just so great! I really missed it with the EM1.

Overall for me it was worth the upgrade from XPro1 to XE2! I really love it!

I think all too often people expect one camera to do it all and rarely does any camera meet all the requirements.

I want a full frame camera in a very small body with small but very fast lenses.

I want a hammer that I can saw with.

I want to be able to shoot at ISO 56000 with low noise.

I want a 4 cylinder engine that rivals a V8 in pickup and performance... oh and it needs to get at least 40 miles to the gallon.​

Sorry, I just came back from a visit to the "other" forum. It occurs to me that many people do not understand the physics involved when it comes to lenses and sensor size.

There appears to be three reasons people want Fuji to produce a full frame X-Trans camera..

They want full frame for that shallow depth of field and bokeh.

They want full frame because it allows them to print huge photographs.

They want full frame because they heard that was best.. no other reason.. they just heard it somewhere.​

From the old Bogart movie.. Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

Bogart: If you're a professional photographer where are your credentials and full frame camera?

Photographer (Poser): Credentials? I don't need no credentials... I don't have to show you no credentials.... and I don't need no stinkin' full frame camera.​

Watch this clip.. here.

Ok.. enough fun for tonight. I guess me and one other guy are the only ones here with an X-E2.

Blazer

Well Jim... I just joined this forum and will be ordering an X-E2 in the next few days... Fuji sale ending 12/24... just making the final decision on which lenses to buy along with the 18-55.

Thanks to your post... I'll not expect too much from my X-E2 at 51,200 iso and try not to use it as a hammer!

apophoto

Good one, Jim. And with their guns blazing all over on the the next scene, I suppose the same could be told for those who derive so much delight with their XE-2. Let the shooting do all the talking.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

No complaints with my X-E2. All the FF BS is amusing to me and seems to be coming from people who evidently don't understand the ethos of fuji's X series.

Why would they even consider alienating their X series lens buyers? They won't.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Not sure why this silly discussion about FF Fuji is coming up again and again! Fuji invented the X system on purpose and the decision was very wise.

FF today is slowly moving into the areas of MF - see D800E, A7r, etc. But the price for FF is really the size and weight of the lenses, even if you make the system mirror less.

APSC and m43 mirror less are obviously the new paths to go. Both allow for much smaller lenses and body sizes (the XE2 being the latest great example from Fuji), with the option for even smaller, if you go m43.

All people who are asking for a Fuji FF are not considering this whole picture IMHO and it would make Fuji look stupid to introduce a FF system 2-3 years after launching their X system. Not too much what you could gain from FF, except much more expensive and larger lenses.

If there would be another Fuji digital system which makes sense, it would be something larger than FF, like Leica S system for example. But this is a totally different story.

Suggest let people complain and stay further glue less if they ask for FF Fuji :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

People from Fuji stated years ago that they had no intention of moving into 35mm digital and that they believed the future of digital photography existed mainly in the smaller formats. When I see the photos taken with Fuji's new cameras and lenses, I don't doubt for a second that they are right. With the amazing large aperture lenses made for smaller formats now available from several sources, I have started questioning the purpose of 35mm digital, at least for my own use. My excellent D700 is mostly gathering dust, and should probably be traded in for something more useful.

Jim, the portrait of your brother in law is magical :thumbup:

Not sure why this silly discussion about FF Fuji is coming up again and again! Fuji invented the X system on purpose and the decision was very wise.
Well, as long as there are old farts around like me and several others I know that have used full frame film and full frame digital... some will wish for a FF Fuji... from this day forward known as an FFF.

Personally I am happy with the current crop of Fuji cameras and their sensors.. but every now and then I can see where a FFF might be handy... but probably very costly.. and then size and weight issues... and of course an entire new line of lenses... probably not worth the effort on Fuji's part.

I don't print huge photos so the only thing I miss is the bokeh and super shallow DOF and then only occasionally.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Jim

Add a metabones speed booster and you can do exactly what you're looking for with existing 35mm glass. Extra stop of speed, full lens coverage and the DoF you mentioned.

Not free but $400 gives you a lot of new options with FF lenses.

Jim

Add a metabones speed booster and you can do exactly what you're looking for with existing 35mm glass. Extra stop of speed, full lens coverage and the DoF you mentioned.

Not free but $400 gives you a lot of new options with FF lenses.
Yeah, I've been reading about it and have not quite convinced myself that it is something I need at that price.. will wait to see more work done with it and the Fjui before making a final decision.. It does sound interesting.

PenSon

XPro1 with Pentax FA43mm. Adapter Zhonggui Lens Turbo.
ISO3200, F1.9, 1/75s.
This evening in fog and mist.

Trygve