The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

fordfanjpn

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E2

Well Jim, you've managed to sell me another camera. Maybe you should be working for Fuji! Seriously though, thanks for the inspiration. My X-Pro1 has been collecting dust and I was undecided as to how to proceed. Not any more. I'll be heading to the camera store this weekend.

Bill

greypilgrim

This is going to be a fly by as I normally reside in the 4/3 forums. I rented an X-E2 over the holidays and had fun with it, so I thought I'd post here ;).

I used it exclusively with a SpeedBooster for Nikon F mount and a number of my old Nikkors that I enjoy shooting with.

I will say that if I were starting looking for a system from scratch, this would be high on my priority list. As others know, the high ISO performance is scary good. Things I missed were a tilt LCD (I really like low angle shots and use that a lot), IBIS, and the ability without diving deep into menus to change the EVF/LCD switching (my camera has an external switch for that. The X-E1 had this, but it seems to be gone :( on the X-E2). On the plus side for me was the focus peaking which was the best I have used so far, definitely a plus for my manual lenses. Also, the EVF was quite good, and I really like the layout of the controls.

The speed booster is quite fun to use. I have one for my m4/3 gear. Unlike there, I did notice significant corner vignetting (correctable though). Not surprising given the different sensor sizes. I left it present in a couple of the shots I will show just so it can be seen.

I have shots from a number of days and will post them in pieces so as to not have them all run together. I am editing on a (new) uncalibrated screen as my calibrator just died, so bear with the photos if dark or off a bit.

Doug

These are from Natural Bridges state park in Santa Cruz.

From the tidepools. 50mm f1.4. ISO 1600

Monarch migration cluster. Grey cloudy day, harsh conditions. ISO 3200. Tamron 300mm f5.6.

Nikkor 200mm f4. ISO 3200. handheld at 1/150

Last edited:

greypilgrim

One from a couple days later at Natural Bridges then on to Bean Hollow State Beach.

Doug

Tamron 300mm f5.6

Nikkor 75-150 f3.5 Series E

Nikkor 28mm f2

Nikkor 75-150 f3.5 Series E

greypilgrim

Some obligatory zoo shots :).

Doug

These swans are notoriously difficult to shoot for obvious reasons.
200mm F4

Tamron 300mm F5.6
Shows how the speed booster cleans up a lens (but also notice the vignetting)

Tamron 300mm F5.6. Through horrible acrylic barrier...
This female grizzly came up, sat down, and posed.

greypilgrim

And finally, some shots from Point Lobos State Reserve. The sun put on quite a show for us.

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome. I hope others enjoy the camera as much as I did when renting it :D.

Doug

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Don, I had the X-E1 with the 18, 35, and 60, but none of those lenses felt like either the 'right' FL or overall compact enough for what I felt the camera needed. So, sold it and went the GX-7 + 20/1.7 route (though also using CV 35/2.5 and square format).

Then Fuji brought out the 27/2.8 and as soon as I saw it, started to rethink. And the present X-E1 prices are ludicrously low. Lookng forward to getting both the body and the lens; soon I hope. I want to try the CV 12/5.6 (also square format) too, which I am guessing will result in a 1:1 21mm EFOV? No blue corners, that way!

Dale Allyn

This thread is a bit too quiet, so…

I've not had much time to shoot, and even less time to process, but I've shared a few X-E2 images with a couple of friends HERE who asked questions about it. It's just a quick page I put up on my server for our conversation. Feel free to have a look.

I've been swamped, so haven't had a chance to reprocess images now that we have RAW support in C1 and ACR. It's all fun though. The X-E2 is a very enjoyable camera.

The first few are with the Canon 135mm f/2.0 L (what had started the conversation [mostly shallow DoF and bokeh samples]), and the few others are with the "kit" lens and the XF 35mm f/1.4. There's one photomicrograph via Leica MZ12 stereo microscope, for giggles.

Heads-up: the images are 1500px wide @72ppi, so the page might not be fun on smaller devices.

Last edited:

AlanS

Well I finally succumbed to the X-Pro1 offer and bought one. This is from my first proper trip out this morning. Managed to catch a sunrise:D, then shoot some frost (1st decent one this winter!). So, colour first...

greypilgrim

Seems this speed booster doesn't alter sharpness and is quite good.
It actually is supposed to improve lens sharpness although you can get some corner softness. In my experience in using the one I have for m4/3, it varies form lens to lens, but you get some pretty good results. So, sharpness increase and a stop more of light. My 28mm f2 effectively becomes a 20 f1.4.

We had a thread going over in the m4/3 forum for a while discussing it fairly extensively.

Either way, I am quite happy I have it.

Doug

Lloyd

Very nice Alan. I've enjoyed your Large format and other images. Looking forward to more with the XPro-1.

rayyan

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Folks, thanks for the ' likes '.

Making do with the 60mm while waiting for the 56/1.2 :)

Got to get back into focus.