The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E2

Dale,

Thank you!

Not sure where you are in California but I'm just passing through on a trip back from Yosemite. I decided to take a detour to Sutter Butte and the northern Sacramento River area including lot's of back roads and authentic old agricultural / gold towns that haven't been Californicated yet etc.

Dale Allyn

Graham, I'm in Auburn, CA – about 30 miles east of Sacramento, in the foothills.

Lots of gold towns throughout the region to explore.

f/otographer

Fun with the Fuji XT-1

So the Fuji XT-1 is really impressing me since its official release a few days ago. I am seriously considering upgrading my aging NEX 7 and for the price of the Fuji I can almost get an A7. Actually the A7 would be less if you factor in the Speedbooster I would also get for the Fuji. So I headed out today to a local camera shop to test out the A7.

Its a nice camera for sure. Took some test pics with it and like what I saw.

I then headed over to another local camera shop that sells Fuji's since I wanted to play around with the XE-2 to get an idea of what X cameras are capable of. I thought this might hold me over until the XT-1 comes out. Turns out it was perfect timing on my part. Standing in the shop is a Fuji Rep and lo and behold what is that small black camera on the counter....

A freaking XT-1.

In seconds it is in my hands and the Rep is excitedly telling me all about it. It feels very, very nice in the hand. Its smaller then I expected, right around my NEX 7 size. The EVF is nice and huge and the dual image composition/zoomed split image is a freaking wonder to behold. If you like using manual focus lenses then this is your camera.

Not much else to say. It's simply a gem of a camera. Puts the DF to shame. It really, really reminds me of an old Contax 159mm, or possibly an old Minolta X-700, but with like a billion times better build quality. In my humble opinion thsi is the way camera evolution should have gone back in the day. I think a lot of Fuji shooters are going to have a nice upgrade/extra camera and I think this is going to bring a lot of new shooters to the Fuji fold. I am seriously considering this camera for my next shooter.

I want to apologize for the somewhat crappy images here. They were both taken on the XF 23/1.4 and I was trying to get the setting to what I wanted and I was messing around with the Fuji focus peaking (very different from Sonys) so I wasnt paying a ton of critical attention to the shots.

But I did crank up the ISO. The shot of my NEX 7 is at 1600 and the shot of the camera store employee is at 6400. Pretty clean. A damn site better then my NEX thats for sure.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

raist3d

Re: Fun with the Fuji XT-1

Thanks for sharing. That looks crazy. Man if they only had an electronic shutter. I am still inclined it would be best to wait for the X-E3 (for me), as I like smaller.

- Ricardo

rayyan

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Very nice one, Rayyan. Has an abstract feel to it as well.
Hey Bro; how u keeping?

Thanks for looking in; to be honest I too have an abstract feeling to myself these days!!:eek:

Unreal.

Our regards to the family and yourself.

Lloyd

Hey Bro; how u keeping?

Thanks for looking in; to be honest I too have an abstract feeling to myself these days!!:eek:

Unreal.

Our regards to the family and yourself.
Doing ok. Mimi and I spent some time in Mexico working with a humanitarian group. Had an amazing experience, but brought home a bug I've (we've) been fighting for a month now. Looks like we're on the upswing now, and glad of it!

Abstract, eh? I hope that along with it you're in fighting form.

Our best to you and your family, my friend.

Sapphie

Ron

That snow picture and others on another forum(!) with the 14mm are beautiful. How are you processing them?

Lee

RonSmith

Ron

That snow picture and others on another forum(!) with the 14mm are beautiful. How are you processing them?

Lee
Thanks Lee!

I just started playing with Photo Ninja, which seems to bring out more detail in the X-Trans RAW files than Adobe ACR. I finish the processing in CS6. My two-week trial ends this weekend and I think I'm going to buy it now.

turtle

The X-E1 is looking great value at the moment! If you don't need the speedy AF this version is a real bargain!

I have no idea when this gas station was built. It is made of brick and petrified wood. It has been abandoned for years. It is truly a work of art. Hard to believe no one has stepped in to save it. It is beginning to give way to weather and time.

The roof is gone and the structure is totally open to the elements and anyone passing by. No graffiti at all. It is from another era. As I stood looking at this old building I couldn't help but wonder what it must have looked like in its prime.

I wanted to shoot it at night with the stars in the sky and the interior lit by some of my LED devices. I used the 18mm f/2 for this shot. 13 seconds, f/4 at ISO 800. The exterior was lit with another hi-power LED with a amber filter over it.

Fuji X-E2 - 18mm f/4 - 13 seconds - ISO 800

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Jim

:thumbs: Excellent job. I'm amazed these days that you found some roadside archeology without graffiti all over it.