The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono,

great results already! I think you MUST love the XT1 seeing these :)

IHMO the Fuji (in my case XE2) has better IQ than the EM1 and also the glass is by no means inferior to Olympus glass.

What is my main hesitation point is that Fuji so far misses some super tele lens(es) like the 100-300 or 75-300 equivalents from m43, although optically I am not convinced by both of them, especially at 300. But if Fuji comes with the rumored 120-400 and it has similar IQ at long end as the 55-200, then I will be completely sold, even to the point that then I might not only sell my m43 gear but also my Nikon gear (which gives me the long tele zoom today).

Add to this that Fuji is rumored to bring some really revolutionary new sensor soon (based on organic sensor) then you could also have much higher resolution plus same or even better DR as available today. Future looks bright :)

Peter

jonoslack

Jono, the 18-55mm is my main travel lens on the Fuji X-Pro 1, I love it. Hope you do too.

Just took advantage of the £300 cash back for ordering 2 lenses, the 23mm which I have been wanting for a long time, and the 55-200mm as I need a longer zoom at times esp now the Panasonic 35-100mm is going.
Hi David
There are some crazy deals around. I notice that if you buy an XP1 with the 18mm you also get a free lens (so that the body effectively costs about £100). Fortunately they're all around til the end of March, which gives me time to think!

As far as the grip goes- not going to bother, I never use them or like them much. One of the things I really like about the XT1 is the small size.

If I do hang on in, I suppose I might like the 14mm and the 55-200. Well see

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi David
There are some crazy deals around. I notice that if you buy an XP1 with the 18mm you also get a free lens (so that the body effectively costs about £100). Fortunately they're all around til the end of March, which gives me time to think!

As far as the grip goes- not going to bother, I never use them or like them much. One of the things I really like about the XT1 is the small size.

Hi Jono,

Mind sharing where that deal is.
Looks like a great travel camera with just two zoom lenses.

Thanks

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Jono!

It is for UK citizens only. Hopefully this promotions will come to the barbarians as well later on.
Could not find that XT1 promotions. If it is any good one could almost be all set with that combination while travelling.

Braeside

Hi David

Yes, when I think back to what I paid for the XP1 in 2012!

I received the 55-200mm today, it seems to be fine and the OIS works well on the XP1. OVF does not work above 60mm though, but I suppose that makes sense. The EVF is better for the longer FL probably. Close focus might have been a bit shorter too, but I do have the Macro lens. Only lens I don't have is the 27mm. 18mm I use mainly for IR where it seems to work better than at visible oddly. It needs RAW though because JPG lens distortion correction gives stretched soft corners. The 18-55 is better at 18 than the 18mm prime is I would say.

14mm is a cracker though, certainly one you may like to get if you find yourself drawn to keeping the system. Incidentally I see Fujifilm are in Dis! Just noticed when I registered the new lens.

My 23mm lens and grip for the XP1 have been sent to the wrong depot today:wtf: so have to wait until tomorrow now. Oh well.

Fine on your thoughts on grips, I just sold my OMD grip and 35-100mm Panasonic to a very good friend of mine today, so not been such an expensive month for me after all. ;)

Cheers

Braeside

Thanks Jono!

It is for UK citizens only. Hopefully this promotions will come to the barbarians as well later on.
Could not find that XT1 promotions. If it is any good one could almost be all set with that combination while travelling.
Sorry to hear that Michiel. Canada and the UK seem to have the best promotions for some reason, hopefully your turn will come.

Cheers

scho

I posted an example of the new Velvia profile above and here is a comparison (100% crops screen grab) of a raw file from the X100S processed in CS6, ACR 8.4 using the Provia camera standard profile and X100S lens profile vs the same file processed using the same exposure, sharpening, etc. in LR5, but with Adobe standard camera profile and no lens profile. I wonder when we will get the new profiles for LR.

Nathan W. Lediard

With all the talk of the new XT-1 it's easy to forget how good the original X-100 is.. I took a day off and went to town with the family to pick up a new sofa for the studio... and couldnt be bothered to drag my camera bag with me and just pulled the x-100 off the shelf and thats it...
f2.8, built in flash and 1/1250s 200iso

f2.0 fill flash and 1/1000s

Rich M

Congratulations Jono…..I love it when you advance scout. I am pretty firmly in the Fuji camp. Really stellar optics.

Thanks for posting Carl the ACR 8.4 profile. I so rarely use Photoshop these days, but the difference piques my curiosity. LR updates usually follow closely, but I'll download ACR tonight and play.

R

Lloyd

How are you liking the X-T1 Lloyd?
Hi David. So far I'm loving the camera. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, and haven't been able to really run it through any testing, but the ergonomics are good, and coming from the X-Pro1 it's pretty intuitive. The differences are improvements, so I'm happy. Truth is, I wasn't even aware that it wasn't supported my Lightroom yet, but I found the Beta ACR 8.4, so I was at least able to see the hundred-odd shots I've taken with it so far. I've used one manual lens on it today, and must say that the focus peaking is superb.

I hope to get a chance to shoot more soon, and will post as I can.

First hour with the Fuji X-T1

Brown truck arrived and delivered the X-T1. All components were in the box. Likes and dislikes are from the first hour of getting to know the X-T1 while sitting in my office neglecting work.

What I like....

EVF is gorgeous.. the best I have ever used... an what they say is true.. you might at first think you are looking through an OVF.. not quite that good but damn! It's really good.

Tilt LCD will come in extremely handy.

Love the controls on the top of the camera: ISO, shutter speed, metering, etc. I hate digging through menus or playing with touch screens. These controls were made for photographers... or at least those of us who predate digital and smart phones.

Size.. just right for me.. I like using small cameras and this one is just right.

Build.. solid.. memory card door is not an issue.

AF.. seems snappier than that of the X-E2 and much better than X-Pro 1.

Focus Peaking colors.. could not be better.. I use red.. especially good when in B&W mode. I tried my Rokkor 58 f/1.2 and it's perfect. Also tried the Rokkor 135mm f/2.8.. even better.​

What I don't like.. and it is a short list.

Buttons on 4 way controller.. same gripe as everyone else.. recessed too far into the body.

Photo review (chimp magnifier) is recessed way too far into the body.​

Samples? Maybe later today or tonight if time permits. I have to pack for a trip to New Orleans.

Only regret: I wish I had known the X-T1 was on the horizon prior to buying the X-E2. I would have waited for it.

If I find any "undocumented features" (as Microsoft likes to call bugs) I will let you know.

All in all I can exhale now.. looks to be just what I hoped it would be. More later.