The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: First hour with the Fuji X-T1

Brown truck arrived and delivered the X-T1. All components were in the box. Likes and dislikes are from the first hour of getting to know the X-T1 while sitting in my office neglecting work.

What I like....

EVF is gorgeous.. the best I have ever used... an what they say is true.. you might at first think you are looking through an OVF.. not quite that good but damn! It's really good.

Tilt LCD will come in extremely handy.

Love the controls on the top of the camera: ISO, shutter speed, metering, etc. I hate digging through menus or playing with touch screens. These controls were made for photographers... or at least those of us who predate digital and smart phones.

Size.. just right for me.. I like using small cameras and this one is just right.

Build.. solid.. memory card door is not an issue.

AF.. seems snappier than that of the X-E2 and much better than X-Pro 1.

Focus Peaking colors.. could not be better.. I use red.. especially good when in B&W mode. I tried my Rokkor 58 f/1.2 and it's perfect. Also tried the Rokkor 135mm f/2.8.. even better.​

What I don't like.. and it is a short list.

Buttons on 4 way controller.. same gripe as everyone else.. recessed too far into the body.

Photo review (chimp magnifier) is recessed way too far into the body.​

Samples? Maybe later today or tonight if time permits. I have to pack for a trip to New Orleans.

Only regret: I wish I had known the X-T1 was on the horizon prior to buying the X-E2. I would have waited for it.

If I find any "undocumented features" (as Microsoft likes to call bugs) I will let you know.

All in all I can exhale now.. looks to be just what I hoped it would be. More later.
Jim,

will wait for your judgement once you have tested the XT1. I have a similar issue as I bought the XE2 back in December and had I known what the XT1 is going to be I had waited for sure.

I want to switch as well, will so what you find .....

Peter

jonoslack

Re: First hour with the Fuji X-T1

What I don't like.. and it is a short list.

Buttons on 4 way controller.. same gripe as everyone else.. recessed too far into the body.

Photo review (chimp magnifier) is recessed way too far into the body.​
Funny that Jim
It's one of the things I like (especially the 4 way buttons). I'm always pressing them by mistake on other cameras.

jonoslack

Well, now I'm happier with the files (using Iridient if the jpgs aren't good enough in Aperture). Time to post some more shots.

Brick Wall Test (country Style)

Trapped

Flowing

Still Life

all with the XT1 jpg, all with the kit lens. All ISO 200 except for the Still Life at ISO 400
I do just love the colour

scho

Well, now I'm happier with the files (using Iridient if the jpgs aren't good enough in Aperture). Time to post some more shots.
all with the XT1 jpg, all with the kit lens. All ISO 200 except for the Still Life at ISO 400
Looking better Jono. It was always the Fuji color that kept drawing me back to try again.

In about six hours I will be on my way to New Orleans for five days and nights of Mardi Gras revelry....er... photography. I am taking the X-T1 and the K5 IIs for backup (should it be needed). This should be fun and one of the best ways to test the camera I know of.. using it for real rather than just test shots. Not sure if I will be able to upload fro NOLA or not but will try to post a few. I plan on doing quite a bit of night work at high ISO so we shall see what we shall see. I may visit some rather dangerous places and I will heed what a local Cajun fellow told me last year when he said.... "Ah hope you don git chor troat cut."

JonMo

Finally back to flat stitching with my new Fuji x-e2 technical camera!

Ok, so its not quite my old Cambo WRS with a 40mp back and 35XL.
BUT; it does give me 20mm of movement on the long side and 25 on the short.
about 6800x6800 x-trans pixels, 1:1 ratio and 35mm worth of magnification!
*apologies to Really Right Stuff for sticking my god awful ugly lens holder on their wonderful rails and brackets.:D

nostatic

Flowing
This looks familiar. XT1 should show up tomorrow - figure I'll do the experiment. I'm just following the Jono-photo-train™

Braeside

From last night, unfortunately I missed the best of this event, but did manage to scramble and get a few before it clouded over and the aurora subsided.

Braeside

Lower Largo is one of the coastal villages in the East Neuk of Fife, famous for being the birthplace of Alexander Selkirk, the real life inspiration for Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe".

We enjoyed a coffee in the Crusoe Hotel, which is right on the waterfront and must be very wild when the waves are high.

Anyway, it was a fine if somewhat bracing afternoon which blew the cobwebs away and allowed an outing with the Fuji and new lenses, the 23mm and the 55-200mm Zoom.

Last edited:

Brick Wall Test (country Style)

Trapped

Flowing

Still Life

Jono, the apples in the basket seem to belong to the variety “Annurca”, am I right?
Beautiful shot BTW.

Braeside

Hi Jono, Thanks! - I only became aware at about 10pm when checking the BBC news Web site. Swithered if I should bother to go out in my slippers as it wasn't very great by then to the eye, though it takes a few minutes for my old eyes to become dark adapted. Ironically I had my Olympus EM5 packed up for sale, so couldn't use its excellent live bulb feature. Anyway the Bulb setting on the XP1 is handy enough especially as it shows the time you have been holding the shutter closed. No electronic release, just a mechanical cable release on the XP1 of course. MF with the 23mm was great as it has a real infinity end stop, saves faffing about trying to focus on street lights or bright stars.

The BBC Web site has some cracking shots from last night - much much better than my attempts, though most have everything turned up to 11 :)

Gbealnz

A very nice astro shot David, always good to see these. I am using my X-Pro for this occasionally. A "programmable intervalometer" would be a god-send, might have to fabricate one.
Gary

Mike Woods

Really nice Jono, but.... I want to shoot raw, and I want to use Lightroom :confused:

Following your other thread with interest, but not convinced at the moment. Disappointed actually....:(

Mike