The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just read Jim's review and of course swooned over the excellent imagery. A very balanced and well written review I thought. I wasn't aware of the potential light leak and I'll have to check this out with daylight long exposure. (actually gaffer tape fix is what I'll do and avoid the storm in a teacup). I kept an X-E2 with RRS L bracket for such uses plus I'm not yet sure how we'll be able to use an L bracket with the side door dimensions and position. Looking forward to my battery grip to arrive to see if that'll make things easier.

Jim I'm not quite sure what you do to get your 'look' but I suspect that it's trusting the EVF in manual mode. However you're achieving it I like it a lot and can spot a 'Radcliffe' here in a moment. :thumbs:

Btw, your Cypress Tree at Lake Martin is superb.

Last edited:
I just read Jim's review and of course swooned over the excellent imagery. A very balanced and well written review I thought.

Jim I'm not quite sure what you do to get your 'look' but I suspect that it's trusting the EVF in manual mode. However you're achieving it I like it a lot and can spot a 'Radcliffe' here in a moment. :thumbs:

Btw, your Cypress Tree at Lake Martin is superb.
Thanks, Graham. I actually hate writing reviews but I feel I have to because there is so much misinformation out there by people who do not own the camera. So many negatives by such a vocal few over nit-pic things.. just my way of trying to combat that kind of stuff.

When Fuji gave us the capability to see exactly how our settings would make the photo appear.. that was a game changer. When you look through the EVF or look at the LCD and make minor changes to shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. and you see what you will get, it just makes composition and exposure so much better.

I have never used a histogram (or liked them) because much of my work is not aimed at "perfect exposure" but rather creating a mood or artistic look. The histogram can't really help me there.. but with a WYSIWYG EVF or LCD the creative doors are now wide open. I know some will argue otherwise but for me.. it is what I needed and wanted for years.

I love my Pentax K5 IIs but it uses a regular optical, through the lens system and the Pentax Live View really is poor in my opinion. So for now, Fuji is the camera I go to. It's nuts. I have the XP1, XE2 and now the XT1. Guess I'll just hang on to all of them. Maybe I'll become like the Leica collectors and buy them all :) I guess I need to pickup the X100s. Tried selling the XP1 but got no takers. It's boxed up in the original packaging now for over three months. I guess it will be my backup for my backup X-E2.

All the best..

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: My Fuji X-T1 page is online at Boxed Light

I have just added a page to my website at Boxed Light with plenty of sample photos and my thoughts on the camera (for those who might care). :)

You can view the page directly here.

Or just visit www.boxedlight.com and click on the X-T1 link.

I am very impressed with the camera.
Great review Jim! As always very helpful. I am in a similar situation currently shooting a XE2 and lusting for the XT1. Still not sure if I shall buy it.

Thanks anyway

Peter

Re: My Fuji X-T1 page is online at Boxed Light

Great review Jim! As always very helpful. I am in a similar situation currently shooting a XE2 and lusting for the XT1. Still not sure if I shall buy it.

Thanks anyway

Peter
Peter, the X-E2 is an outstanding camera. I plan on keeping mine due to its compact size and if I pick up the 27mm it will be a super easy carry in a large jacket pocket for those times you don't want to carry that bag thingy with you.

The X-T1 in no way diminishes the outstanding capability of the X-E2.

greypilgrim

A trophy shot and a nice sea cave:

McWay Falls. Yes, the water is actually that color, and yes it is a cool waterfall falling onto a beach, and yes, everyone and his brother goes and takes various iterations of this shot :).

Pfeiffer beach on national forest land.