The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Mike Woods

Apologies, Mike, if you mentioned this before, but what does your workflow & pp look like for this file? Not looking for a recipe, slider by slider detail. Just the bigger flow and apps you use. TIA.
Hi Mike, no need to apologise. I only use LR, and usually I spend less than a minute per image thanks to presets, but I had a particular vision for this one which took a little longer...

Lots of highlight recovery and lightening of shadows to start with, then increase in clarity and sharpening, a tweak of positive vibrance and then i backed off the saturation quite a bit. Finally I warmed the image a little via the temperature slider.

Hope that helps.

Mike

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Having recently moved from the Oly E-5 to the Fuji, this is one of the images that confirms to me it was the right choice; ISO 400, lots of PP in terms of shadow adjustment, and the file holds up really well.

XT-1 and kit lens:

Mike
Excellent image! And I can see absolutely NO ISSUES with all the greens - as some always seem to see with Fuji greens - I never had any issues as well!

Also interesting WRT your move! I am using the XE2 in parallel with the EM1 since almost 6 months now and I mostly use (like to use) the XE2 because of IQ. Although AF is likely to be better from the EM1 but there is not a huge difference, but the real difference for me is IQ paired this the lenses.

So this tells me something! Yesterday I ordered the XT1 and I am thinking of getting rid of my Oly equipment. While the Oly is pretty good, the Fuji's are still better. And supporting more my needs as a photographer! So I might be at the point for moving completely to Fuji ;) Also part of the much more appealing lens selections meanwhile available for Fuji and the lenses which should arrive in the near future!

Mike Woods

Excellent image! And I can see absolutely NO ISSUES with all the greens - as some always seem to see with Fuji greens - I never had any issues as well!

Also interesting WRT your move! I am using the XE2 in parallel with the EM1 since almost 6 months now and I mostly use (like to use) the XE2 because of IQ. Although AF is likely to be better from the EM1 but there is not a huge difference, but the real difference for me is IQ paired this the lenses.

So this tells me something! Yesterday I ordered the XT1 and I am thinking of getting rid of my Oly equipment. While the Oly is pretty good, the Fuji's are still better. And supporting more my needs as a photographer! So I might be at the point for moving completely to Fuji ;) Also part of the much more appealing lens selections meanwhile available for Fuji and the lenses which should arrive in the near future!
Hi Peter. Will be interesting to see how you think the XT1 compares with your Oly. I can tell you the Fuji is not in the same league as the Oly when it comes to focus speed, but that was never really a priority for me; I do like to shoot on the street but tend to prefocus anyway....
I haven't seen any green watercolours or smearing, and I have given it a few torture tests. A couple more below.
What I have noticed is that you can really push and pull the files around if you wish, and they don't fall apart like the Oly files, which I was trying to illustrate above.
Love your website, by the way....excellent stuff!
Mike

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter. Will be interesting to see how you think the XT1 compares with your Oly. I can tell you the Fuji is not in the same league as the Oly when it comes to focus speed, but that was never really a priority for me; I do like to shoot on the street but tend to prefocus anyway....
I haven't seen any green watercolours or smearing, and I have given it a few torture tests. A couple more below.
What I have noticed is that you can really push and pull the files around if you wish, and they don't fall apart like the Oly files, which I was trying to illustrate above.
Love your website, by the way....excellent stuff!
Mike
Mike,

many thanks!

I really love the EM1 and I am sure AF is better (much better) than the XT1 AF - BUT for real fast AF and AF tracking none of these cameras can do for me and all are topped by my D800E anyway.

But AF from the XT1 is already very much improved compared to earlier models and I want to start building the system. I guess with the fast 2.8 zooms which should come later this year AF will get much better already with the XT1. And there will be an X Pro 2 finally either latter this year or next year, which IMHO will then close the gap to the D800E (or at least almost, which should do it for me. Consider the I want to use this system in the end also as my go to system for wildlife photography where I expect reasonable accurate and fast tracking.

IQ wise there is hardly any other APSC camera (system) topping the Fuji X and even compared to some FF alternatives the Fuji's do a great job WT IQ.

Will definitely post about my experiences wit the XT1 as soon as I have used it enough!

J

JohnW

A few from Friday, with X Pro1 and Voigtlander 25.

John

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Mike, I'm enjoying your farmer series very much. On RFF recently there was a link to Peter Miller's site. He has several projects on Vermont farm life that I thought you might enjoy:

Peter Miller

John
Thanks for that link John. :) Glad you are enjoying the series, more to come! (But my name is not Mike) :D :D :D

Enjoyed his Farm Women series, very nice shots :)