The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looking really good. How does the camera balance with this relatively heavy lens.

The biggest challenge with the 10-24 is that it wants to rest on the lens hood when put down anywhere. Hardly a big deal but expect to scratch up the base of the hood and get a spare at some point.

Its one of my favorite lenses on the Fuji X system although its brother the 14mm gives it a run for the money.

Nathan W. Lediard

Looking really good. How does the camera balance with this relatively heavy lens.
One word: Grip! :)

I have the grip on all the time. Its still a small camera but for me, who lived with a 1 series canon in my hand the last 10 years the grip is a must. :) The lens is my no means heavy, again compared to my hassy and canon L glass its a lightweight :) Its long, but with one hand under the lens and one hand on the camera that is not a problem, I shot it yesterday on a whole bunch of interior shots with one hand... the other hand holding a flash on a off camera cord... compared to my canon I felt like it was filled with helium... for the kind of assignment I had yesterday the Canon is gone. :)

The biggest challenge with the 10-24 is that it wants to rest on the lens hood when put down anywhere. Hardly a big deal but expect to scratch up the base of the hood and get a spare at some point.

Its one of my favorite lenses on the Fuji X system although its brother the 14mm gives it a run for the money.
You should see my trusty 16-35 canon hood.. :eek:not to mention my ten year old 24-70 hood :eek::eek: Hoods are there to do a job and I dont really worry about scratching them to be honest :)

Great lens, holds it own and in some respects easily outperforms my 16-35 f2.8L

Last edited:
Monument Valley by Moonlight with the Fuji XT-1

I just came back to Dallas from spending a week in the Desert Southwest. One of the locations I visited was Monument Valley. The photo below was taken with the Fuji X-T1 using the 18-55mm around 5am in the morning from the deck of The View Hotel. The moon did not rise until early in the morning and the cloud cover presented a problem.. so I waited and waited.

I just got back home from a 9 hour drive from Alamogordo, NM and wanted to take a shot at doing a quick post on this shot. I'm sure a better image would result from more careful post work but that will have to wait for a complete review of all the over 1,000 photos taken during this quick trip to the Desert Southwest.

This shot was taken with only the light of the moon for illumination. Cloud cover was pretty bad but occasional clear patches allowed the moonlight to wash over the area.

45 second exposure at ISO 1250 - Fuji XT-1 18-55mm kit lens. This is a JPG. I still have not found a RAW developer I like.

I can't believe I misspelled Monument... will have to fix that later... it was late, I was tired and in a hurry.... Haste makes waste. :)

Last edited:
Chaco Canyon - Waiting for the moon to rise. XT1

Here's one more from my week in the Desert Southwest. This one was taken in Chaco Canyon with the Fuji X-T1. This was five frames with the 18-55mm. Each frame was 25 seconds f/4 at ISO 6400. Post in Photoshop CS6. The EVF worked great for this shot. I set the focus to infinity and then slightly rotated the camera on the tripod for each shot, making sure there would be enough overlay to stitch them together.

I don't care what anyone says about that little 18-55mm lens. It's a versatile little guy.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jim,

absolutely stunning shots! And YES, the 18-55 is a lovely lens, I prefer it even over the excellent Olympus 12-40 on my EM1.

I found that LR5 gives decent IQ from RAW, although it can be much better if using Irident Developer - which I don't like because it does not fit in my workflow.

BTW I ordered the XT1 this week and will get it early May - have returned my very much loved XE2 for it ..... but when I see the results from XT1 and knowing about it's stellar EVF I am very confident this will become my most used camera.

Best

Peter

Jim,

absolutely stunning shots! And YES, the 18-55 is a lovely lens, I prefer it even over the excellent Olympus 12-40 on my EM1.

I found that LR5 gives decent IQ from RAW, although it can be much better if using Irident Developer - which I don't like because it does not fit in my workflow.

BTW I ordered the XT1 this week and will get it early May - have returned my very much loved XE2 for it ..... but when I see the results from XT1 and knowing about it's stellar EVF I am very confident this will become my most used camera.

Best

Peter
Thanks Peter... both of those were very quick edits after a full day of driving to get back to Dallas... I am going to redo them (and fix spelling).

I could have taken that trip with just the camera and the 18-55. I never changed lenses once. It was the right lens for the trip. Do I wish it were a little faster, yes.. but for now, it is my most used lens.