The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Nathan W. Lediard

Being a photographer in my part of the world I get all kinds of work.. from big national companies to small jobs for local companies (in addition to my portrait studio) Today I was doing a couple of jobs for a local real estate agent when I met this guy. Originally from a war torn part of the world that was all over the news in the early nineties, he has now made a new life and family over here. When I meet interesting people I often ask to take their portrait. Here is one from a very quicjk session on the guy's porch. X-T1 56mm @ 1.2 iso 800 His smile and eyes belie the incredibly dangerous life he had before...

jkjod

First time posting, so go easy on me :) I recently went to Yosemite for the first time and it definitely lived up to the hype. Scenes seemed to change multiple times during the day with different lighting - It is someplace I definitely look forward to visiting again. All with the XP1 and Fuji 14

[/url]DSCF3268.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF3249.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF3165.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF3270.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]DSCF3155.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr[/IMG]

MCTuomey

hulyss, hi - wonderful portraits on your site! interested to hear how well (or not) the x-t1 & lenses fit your work.

alan - looks like you've gotten beyond the "fuji foliage" debate. nice stream shot!

AlanS

Thanks for the kind words Mike. The foliage issue is still "work in progress" but not causing me too much trouble.

Hulyss Bowman

hulyss, hi - wonderful portraits on your site! interested to hear how well (or not) the x-t1 & lenses fit your work.

alan - looks like you've gotten beyond the "fuji foliage" debate. nice stream shot!
Thank you MC. For the XT-1, I just did a weeding with it, and only with it. So far so good; I will tell more later in an article. The X-Pro 1 do not interest me, it is a present for my wife.

Nice photos AlanS ;)

AlanS

Thanks for the comment Hulyss. I wondered about the X-pro1 when I saw the pic of your "pile of crap"!!!! this morning :)

johnnygoesdigital

I've been shooting with the Xt1 and have to say that I don't really like the way it renders highlights. It always seems too hot or blown out and the colors are just a tad too saturated. What if you don't want a film simulation? These recent pics of Yosemite are nice, but the colors seem odd. Don't get me wrong the Xt1 is a great camera, but i'm starting to think of this camera as a great black and white digital cam instead because of how Fuji's sensor handles luminance - which is very good.

The shooting mode button seems to always get reset when changing ISO, and that 4 way button is kinda fiddly too.

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

I've been shooting with the Xt1 and have to say that I don't really like the way it renders highlights. It always seems too hot or blown out and the colors are just a tad too saturated. What if you don't want a film simulation? These recent pics of Yosemite are nice, but the colors seem odd. Don't get me wrong the Xt1 is a great camera, but i'm starting to think of this camera as a great black and white digital cam instead because of how Fuji's sensor handles luminance - which is very good.

The shooting mode button seems to always get reset when changing ISO, and that 4 way button is kinda fiddly too.
Hello Johnny,

My little observations, after one day of use, are pretty enthusiast. First, you speak about the highlights. Seriously I find very difficult to burn any highlights with it. I just did a weeding with it and so far, I was unable to burn the dress even under harsh mid afternoon sun. The metering dial should be used wisely if you want my opinion ;)
Second you speak about color mode. Well, the camera apply her filters only on jpeg. The raws are raw. When you open it in lightroom, it will pop up without any fuji effect or whatever. You need to set it in Lightroom to apply the fuji films simulation. If your colors still too rich to your taste, you can set up your own custom color in the camera and register it on a custom mode.
Third, I do not know how you manage to reset your drive mode dial when changing ISO setting. I just tried and it seems impossible or you need to grab it with the ISO dial.
The learning curve of this camera seems to be bigger than the D800, for example, because there is a lot more functions packed in a tinier body.

I agree with the 4 way buttons, they are a little cheap but lets call it a compromise on a soo complete little work horse camera.

Just my little rapport after 1 day of use :)